You are here

Secrets of the T Rex Replay Box.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Secrets of the T Rex Replay Box.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:03 pm

I bought one of these as a cheap very basic delay for a drum machine, but it’s turned out to be very weird indeed.
There’s no fancy things, like modulation etc, just a straight repeat, with feedback, but there’s something else going on under the bonnet.
By maxing out the repeat and tempo controls, in varying degrees, it gets really strange, and it behaves in a pseudo analogue/digital way, I’ve started a whole track today based on this effect, it’s so rich and interesting. At the top of the repeat range you get a sort of infinite feedback, and as you lower it whatever is in there stays there, but you get a glitchy type chordal effect that freezes too, and lots of synth like harmonics, combine that with twiddling the tempo knob and you get more strange effects, you can tune them to make very rich rhythmic drones, I’m looking forward to making more tomorrow.
I don’t think it’s broken, it works normally if you want it to, but if it is broken it’s great! I’m not complaining!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Secrets of the T Rex Replay Box.

Postby horacewimp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:53 pm

is it with your Replay Box that both the tempo and the repeat control change the delay time? Actually, the repeat controller should only control the feedback portion, but I already have the second replay box here, where it also influences the time.

And for strange reasons, a Torx key to open the housing is included - and all websites including that of T-Rex say something about possible battery operation - but there is no connection and no space for a battery inside.

Can you confirm this? Or did I get two strange specimens of the Replay Box here?
horacewimp
New here

Postby BillB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:16 am

Arpangel wrote:I bought one of these as a cheap very basic delay for a drum machine, but it’s turned out to be very weird indeed.
Tony, this sounds interesting. It would be great to hear some examples. Having said that, when you said ‘cheap very basic’, I thought you might be talking about £30-40. More like £90-100... But nice, stereo in / out so worth a look.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 am

BillB wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought one of these as a cheap very basic delay for a drum machine, but it’s turned out to be very weird indeed.
Tony, this sounds interesting. It would be great to hear some examples. Having said that, when you said ‘cheap very basic’, I thought you might be talking about £30-40. More like £90-100... But nice, stereo in / out so worth a look.

I haven’t been using it lately, since my new mixer set-up it’s become a bit redundant, as I have a few delays.
Admittedly it isn’t "cheap" as such, but at the time it was the only no frills delay that I could see that had a stereo input, I haven’t looked inside to see if it’s capable of being battery powered.
After playing with it I found that it behaved interestingly at high feedback settings, unlike my other delays, it just sounded weird, rich, harmonically interesting, growling.
I’m not selling it because of this, I’ll use it at some point, and if it ends up featured on a track I’ll let you know.
I did record some interesting "compost" with it, using this feedback thing, and that could become a bed for a new track.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby horacewimp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm

can one of you test how the REPEAT control behaves on your devices - does the delay time stay the same or does it change when you turn it? thanks, that would interest me.
horacewimp
New here

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:42 am

horacewimp wrote:can one of you test how the REPEAT control behaves on your devices - does the delay time stay the same or does it change when you turn it? thanks, that would interest me.

I can’t today, but I’ll have a look tommorow.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby horacewimp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:47 pm

that would be great, thank you very much !!
horacewimp
New here

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:40 am

horacewimp wrote:that would be great, thank you very much !!

OK, the only thing between me doing this is a shave and a shower, so hang on, I’m going to have to brave the icy interior of Angel Towers bathroom before I descend into the studio.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 pm

horacewimp wrote:that would be great, thank you very much !!

Horace, I can confirm your findings, the repeat control definitely changes the delay time :shocked:
Also, you can hear the delay clock changing when using the repeat function, that’s weird!
I hadn’t noticed this before, I guess I just mucked about getting the right delay times with both controls not realising.
Still, after playing with it just now that also very weird, feedback character on high settings is bizarre, but nice! I can get a good simulation of more or less any birdsong you want!
These things may be design issues, but I’ll hang on to it anyway, it’s quite useful.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby horacewimp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm

hi Arpangel - thanks for the test and the info!
In the meantime I was in contact with the people from T-Rex, and they confirmed to me that there is a software error in the current series of the Replay Box that causes exactly this, they will replace mine.
You should write to their support, they will certainly take care of your device as well.
You are apparently affected too.
horacewimp
New here

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:27 am

Thanks, I don’t know what to do, the high feedback thing I like this for, in fact, the only thing I like it for, is obviously a product of the interaction between the delay and repeat knobs, if they fix it, it may go away.
I don’t think it’s worth sending it back, major hassle with posting, plus I may loose something I like.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby horacewimp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:12 pm

yes - who knows - I can make a comparison of how the feedback sounds now and when it is repaired :-) I'm curious.
I'll let you know, I hope it sounds the same, and only the bug is gone, we'll see
horacewimp
New here

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm

If the pedal is doing something cool and weird I would hang on to it. Only send it for a fix if it becomes unusable.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:If the pedal is doing something cool and weird I would hang on to it. Only send it for a fix if it becomes unusable.

I think you’re right, be interesting to see how Horace pans out with his.
I’ve got to get rid of some of my delays, the only one I have with mojo is my EHX 16, and it’s the one I reach for mostly.
I have a Boss DD7, it’s "alright" nothing special, may replace that with a Memory Toy, I also have a Minim, which is just pants, that was a real let down for me, although it’s praised by many, my Zoom CD-R70 and Midiverb fill in all the gaps.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby horacewimp » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:04 am

http://helfried-wildenhain.de/replay_feedback_etc.mp4

so - before I sent it back, I made a short video - this is how the replay box sounds with the faulty software (although the fault should actually only affect the control behavior of the repeat knob) - I ran a short arpeggio from a synth and fiddled with the controls, sorry - it's a bit quiet ..
Does that roughly correspond to what your Replay Boxes do?
I hope that when it comes back it will sound the same with the new software and that the repeat control will behave as it should. I'll record it too.
In the worst case, it will sound totally boring ... but to be honest, I don't expect it :-)
horacewimp
New here

Next