You are here

YMO Live in 2011

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

YMO Live in 2011

Postby Dave B » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 pm

For those who find time dragging a little in lockdown, may I suggest that the following is a nice treat for synth-heads :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbspIqRZqV0

I found this a while back and loved it - a full gig by one of the great bands. I love this band for so many reasons. It's just three insanely talented people having fun with their music. There are the odd moments where one catches another's eye and they have a wry smile - the smile you get when you are onstage with your mates and just enjoying it.

I have seen Sakamoto quite a few times and am heartbroken never to have seen YMO - if the world needs anything post-lockdown, it's a few gentle Japanese gentlemen with awesome talent and a wicked sense of humour. We can only hope

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: YMO Live in 2011

Postby fatbenelton » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:49 pm

Nice one - enjoying it as I type!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby tea for two » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Im bonkers for YMO.

I put YMO with Yello, Sparks as injecting much mirth into electronica.

Dave next one synth challenge perhaps a humourous one.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 am

Great link, thanks :thumbup:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 pm

Loving this - thanks Dave! 8-)

I've heard loads about YMO, but not really listened to them before, so this is a treat.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dave B » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 pm

Martin, you jest surely?

YMO are a bit of an enigma - some of it was cutting edge, some a bit silly (they did enjoy playing up to various stereotypes as a joke), some just luscious, some a bit off the wall - a real mishmash and I can't point you at any one album as a definitive example of what they were. They also tended to get lots of albums overlapping in songs as the albums got released in different territories, so you do end up with lots of repetition. Somewhere I had a great 4 LP box set that I had to import (hey kids - yes, we would have to get stuff imported specially from other countries : this was the days before Amazon!!!) which was a great collection. There is a 'Super Best of' double CD which has a good selection.

The first album is basically a continuation of Sakamoto's 1000 Knives (his first) album so lots of lovely old analogues driven by an MC8. But with drums and bass as well. And vocals. The Solid State Survivor is a good selection of the early songs before they got into very hard edge rhythms on Technodelic and BGM (but they still contain some great songs as well). The last album 'Service' is just beautiful songs again (Perspective being a real fave for some reason).

Jump on board the evil Spotify or do a few youtube searches. They are well worth checking out. Especially their version of Archie Bell and the Drells' Tighten Up ...

Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 pm

That was amazing, love the sound effects at the beginning.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Dave B wrote:Jump on board the evil Spotify or do a few youtube searches. They are well worth checking out. Especially their version of Archie Bell and the Drells' Tighten Up ..

Thanks for that recommendation Dave - thoroughly enjoyed the experience! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7RHkosHs0

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Is that really a 'YMO' gig, though?

Around that same time period I remember getting slightly duped by promoters into going to see what we all that was YMO at the South Bank, but it turned out it was actually their 'Human Audio Sponge' thing, and sounded rather similar to that set...
Mind you, most of that set list is from proper YMO albums, whereas at the gig I went to, there was literally only about 3 YMO tunes.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Dave B » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

In that case, it's more a case of 'naughty promoters' rather than the band's fault. In fairness, if they were calling themselves HAS (or HASYMO) then they were being upfront about things. In any case, they'll play Rydeen and Tong Poo so I'd be happy. But then I'm easily pleased ..

Dave B
Jedi Poster