You are here

Korg Kross Keybed

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Korg Kross Keybed

Postby nickle15 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 pm

I purchased a Korg Kross (v1) early in the winter, kept it for a couple of months and then sold it again. I was surprised at how much I disliked the key action. Somehow it made the sounds feel cheap, though I'm sure that's just a weird mental thing. At any rate - I'm considering a Krome EX (at some point) and have no music stores to try one out. I'm curious if anyone has experience with both of these boards and would be able to give an opinion about how the key action on the two models would compare.

And while I'm on this topic, is there a reliable way to find out what keybed a particular synth uses? If I knew what was used for the Kross then I could simply compare it to what's used on the Krome. Thanks again for any help. I really enjoy keeping up with the conversations here and have learned so much!
nickle15
Poster

Re: Korg Kross Keybed

Postby innerchord » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm disappointed, but not surprised to read that. In my opinion, the quality of keyboards has most definitely decreased in the last decade. It used to be the case that you could rely on a keyboard released by a brand name to be playable, at least, but I suppose it doesn't matter so much now, because so many keyboard users are padbangers and switch pushers. :lol:
And don't get me started on "mini-keys"...

nickle15 wrote:And while I'm on this topic, is there a reliable way to find out what keybed a particular synth uses?

I think some companies have been known to change keyboards during a production run. Be warned!
innerchord
Regular

Re: Korg Kross Keybed

Postby nickle15 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

innerchord wrote:I'm disappointed, but not surprised to read that. In my opinion, the quality of keyboards has most definitely decreased in the last decade. It used to be the case that you could rely on a keyboard released by a brand name to be playable, at least, but I suppose it doesn't matter so much now, because so many keyboard users are padbangers and switch pushers. :lol:
And don't get me started on "mini-keys"...

nickle15 wrote:And while I'm on this topic, is there a reliable way to find out what keybed a particular synth uses?

I think some companies have been known to change keyboards during a production run. Be warned!

It's interesting that you mention this. A couple of months ago I picked up a Korg 707. It's got some unique sounds but it doesn't appear to be something that I'll use much. However, the keybed is amazing on that board and if nothing else it will be a fantastic controller! If that keybed had been on the Kross I'd probably still have that one as well. :)
nickle15
Poster