You are here

More silliness.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

More silliness.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLBjScgb7o

Just what I need this morning.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: More silliness.

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 pm

:bouncy:

That guy must spend 2/3 of his life soldering...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 pm

I've just watched the first half of his TED Talk.... Its exhausting, had to take a rest and come back to it later. He doesn't;t stop moving, pacing, jiggling up and down, gesticulating, me mum would've said "he's got ants in his pants (see what I did there?)"
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:25 pm

The GR500 I could get behind. Furbies I'm not so sure. :thumbdown:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 pm

He's completely nuts :lol:
But we need people like him, especially these days :thumbup: :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Sam is as mad as a box of frogs :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Sam is as mad as a box of frogs :D

In the best possible way :-)

He's done a lot of really interesting stuff, if you trawl through his videos a bit. One of the more recent ones is the 1000 oscillator drone synth he's building, and a ways before that he was working on a monstrously huge synth using gameboys as the oscillators.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:Sam is as mad as a box of frogs :D

In the best possible way :-)

He's done a lot of really interesting stuff, if you trawl through his videos a bit. One of the more recent ones is the 1000 oscillator drone synth he's building, and a ways before that he was working on a monstrously huge synth using gameboys as the oscillators.

Yeah, his music is interesting too, it’s like he takes an idea and presents it in technicolour, exaggerating everything beyond beyond.
I just wish I had someone like him here now, I’m majorly lacking in interesting, inspiring people to work with, my one and only collaborator has been ill so can’t come over, when I think of all the people I knew I London it’s like I’m in another universe right now. It’s OK doing all this solo stuff, but I enjoy collaborating, it’s really important, I miss the feedback.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:54 pm

The trouble is that 99% of all known humans are bacteria.

What you need is creative bacteria. Here, in The Land God Gave to Jim, we have some of the world's most creative bacteria.

Seeing as it's Sunday, what you need is a Thought for the Day - The next time someone offers you Spong at 50% off, ask them why. Better still, go to DFS and ask them!

Here's a bonus thought - The next time you see a cheese moving, shoot it!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:23 am

The Red Bladder wrote:The trouble is that 99% of all known humans are bacteria.

What you need is creative bacteria. Here, in The Land God Gave to Jim, we have some of the world's most creative bacteria.

Seeing as it's Sunday, what you need is a Thought for the Day - The next time someone offers you Spong at 50% off, ask them why. Better still, go to DFS and ask them!

Here's a bonus thought - The next time you see a cheese moving, shoot it!

I’ve always admired your humour and optimism in the face of adversity, however, you’re not the only one who’s probably noticed I’m a bit lost lately, my enthusiasm for music is virtually nonexistent, it still get made, but the value I attach to it is about the same as the value I attach to one of my turds. But it’s surprising how the two things perform more or less the same function.
All this talk of equipment, mixer or no mixer, patch leads smatch leads schminterfaces etc which synth is best to make farting sounds, it makes no real difference to me, my music still "leaks out" like an old person who has bowel problems, maybe I’d be better off getting a years supply of Tenor Pads instead of trying to buy gear, It may be money better spent.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am

Most music sounds like a string of turds. At least it does to me - that's why I can't stand most music. It's going nowhere and does nothing. Either it's been written by dead people and was fresh and had something to say 200 years ago, or it's just present-day plinka-plonk nonsense. How many times do I have to read here that someone wants to record classical piano or flute, only to discover that they mean using samples?

A friend of mine was in a giant rockband for donkey's ages and he spoke of the absurdity of old men playing stuff that was heart-felt 40 or 50 years ago. "The kids down the front are loving it but we're all on stage looking at our watches and the play-list and thinking 'Gawd, I'm stuck 'ere for another hour of this shite!"

It's just culturally and physically obscene when a 70-something in tight leather pants gets down on his knees, holds the mic in both hands, shuts his wrinkly old eyes and sings about young baby-love - whilst his stagehands stand by in case he can't get back to his feet again!

At the other end, we have the dweebs with their ghastly plinka-plonk boxes from Yamaha, Roland, Novation and Korg - press a key here and a button there and you are a musician!

And if that is too taxing for your brain, we've got 'creative' software that even colour-codes the keys, harmonies and beats for you. Cut-n-paste and put it on YouTube!

"I'm like building my beats - innit!"

Your creative task for today is to put the following deathly verse to music -

Oh lovely big cow,
All mottled and brown;
I've brought you an apple
So you don't feel down.

Now my big f'ugly sister told me
And she never wrong
That you'll be put in a bottle
Before very long!

(middle eight)

So lovely big cow
Whose hide is all mottled,
Eat your goddamn apple
Before you get bottled!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Those kids still not getting off your lawn hey?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am

It's not the kids that annoy me but people my age who are still reliving their youth and going around in circles, stuck in the same old groove. The last time they had an original thought, they were 16 and the last time they tried something new they were 25 and they didn't like it.

Kids are great because they are blank pages waiting to be written. But then we send them to school and punish them if they don't learn what Harold or Henry did or who wrote which boring book about things no normal person cares two-figs about.

We fill their heads with knowledge that is 100% useless and pretend that all that totally useless knowledge will be important for a future career - that will only serve to make them unhappy and poor. Yes - poor. Study law and join the swelling ranks of unemployed lawyers. Study accountancy and join the swelling ranks of solo accountants desperate for work. Study music and become yet another unemployable musician who can play numbingly dreary sonatas that nobody wants to hear.

Nobody cares about your received wisdom, your acceptable views on life, or your established order - least of all me!

You want to learn something new? Good! Learn something new - just make sure it is nothing any teacher would be allowed to teach in a school or university.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:38 am

The Red Bladder wrote:It's not the kids that annoy me but people my age who are still reliving their youth and going around in circles, stuck in the same old groove. The last time they had an original thought, they were 16 and the last time they tried something new they were 25 and they didn't like it.

Kids are great because they are blank pages waiting to be written. But then we send them to school and punish them if they don't learn what Harold or Henry did or who wrote which boring book about things no normal person cares two-figs about.

We fill their heads with knowledge that is 100% useless and pretend that all that totally useless knowledge will be important for a future career - that will only serve to make them unhappy and poor. Yes - poor. Study law and join the swelling ranks of unemployed lawyers. Study accountancy and join the swelling ranks of solo accountants desperate for work. Study music and become yet another unemployable musician who can play numbingly dreary sonatas that nobody wants to hear.

Nobody cares about your received wisdom, your acceptable views on life, or your established order - least of all me!

You want to learn something new? Good! Learn something new - just make sure it is nothing any teacher would be allowed to teach in a school or university.

What I love.

Hearing someone who understands and has the maturity and skill play Bach’s Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D Minor I don’t care it’s not relevant and that the guy playing it may be 70 years old, it’s just GOOD STUFF.

And even though it’s not my cup of tea thousands of wannabes in bedrooms and "home studios" all over the world fiddling around with "stuff" doesn’t bother me, they like it, and they probably think they’re good too, even though they aren’t, but it means something to them so that’s OK.

What I hate, or maybe that’s a bit extreme, and I should change it to "dislike"
Arrogance, and people who patronise and talk down to me, in an artistic context this is just unacceptable. The world is full of musicians who constantly over promise and under deliver.
Musicians who think that they are pioneers and the first to do something, and they normally have all the "qualities" that I outlined above. They also have a very poor sense of history.
I agree with Mr Bladder about ageing rockers, do I really want to see Caravan or Gong or Genesis reliving some acid trip, or some ageing Punk band going on about how angry they are, angry? what? you mean you’re "still" angry? you remind me of the Japanese soldiers hidden in the jungle who still think the war is still on.
One bloke who doesn’t get me going about all of this, and is timeless, is a Billy Bragg, sorry mate, you’re excluded from my rant, and I’m sure you’re glad to hear that.
I don’t care how old you are, or when you started to make music, as long as you are still at least trying, to take it forward, and still develop it and move on, David Bowie did this up until the day he died, so did Lou Reed, Metallica, Leonard Cohen, and I could go on, but people like the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc etc, just forget it, please, just gracefully retire and leave us with some good memories, that’s all we ask.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:It's not the kids that annoy me but people my age who are still reliving their youth and going around in circles, stuck in the same old groove. The last time they had an original thought, they were 16 and the last time they tried something new they were 25 and they didn't like it.

Good rant! :thumbup: :clap:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next