You are here

More silliness.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: More silliness.

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm

people like the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc etc, just forget it, please, just gracefully retire and leave us with some good memories, that’s all we ask.
‘You pays your money and you takes your choice’ someone once said.
If they are happy to keep touring and enough people are prepared to pay to see them then who are you or I to stop them or frankly to begrudge them their pleasure.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:17 pm

All this talk of equipment, mixer or no mixer, patch leads smatch leads schminterfaces etc which synth is best to make farting sounds, it makes no real difference to me, my music still "leaks out" like an old person who has bowel problems, maybe I’d be better off getting a years supply of Tenor Pads instead of trying to buy gear, It may be money better spent.

You are allowed to take time out. Go and learn something different but related to your music e.g. buy a video camera and editing software so that when you come back to your music with renewed enthusiasm you’ll be able to make the promotional videos.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm

A friend of mine was in a giant rockband for donkey's ages and he spoke of the absurdity of old men playing stuff that was heart-felt 40 or 50 years ago. "The kids down the front are loving it but we're all on stage looking at our watches and the play-list and thinking 'Gawd, I'm stuck 'ere for another hour of this shite!"

So he lived the lifestyle, burnt through all the money and at retirement age didn’t have the ability, when asked, to say no?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Kids are great because they are blank pages waiting to be written. But then we send them to school and punish them if they don't learn what Harold or Henry did or who wrote which boring book about things no normal person cares two-figs about.

We fill their heads with knowledge that is 100% useless and pretend that all that totally useless knowledge will be important for a future career - that will only serve to make them unhappy and poor. Yes - poor. Study law and join the swelling ranks of unemployed lawyers. Study accountancy and join the swelling ranks of solo accountants desperate for work. Study music and become yet another unemployable musician who can play numbingly dreary sonatas that nobody wants to hear.

Nobody cares about your received wisdom, your acceptable views on life, or your established order - least of all me!

You want to learn something new? Good! Learn something new - just make sure it is nothing any teacher would be allowed to teach in a school or university.

I’m guessing you didn’t like school. I did for the most part and though there were some teachers who didn’t exactly enthuse me I think that the subjects they taught were the necessary spread and foundation for getting on in life.
I did a history degree, it didn’t become my job but it’s very useful in understanding where we are now and hopefully prevents us from making similar mistakes now.
Science underscores all the technology we take for granted and enables us to look for vaccines for Covid 19.
Maths and English (in my case) are vital for all of those studies.
Geography informs us about all the countries we choose or have to deal with for food and raw materials and helps contextualise history, transport routes in particular.
Languages such as french in my case could be argued as a luxury, however as one German chancellor said (paraphrased) ‘I am happy to sell our products to you in English, however if you wish to sell your products to us then you will have to speak German’.
Music, there’s no way around it, it can be boring doing scales, learning how to read scores and understand how chords are constructed, but the pleasure once learned is considerable, and there are associated improvements in Maths.
Without a good spread of those subjects it’s that much harder to go and study all those other exciting (non school) subjects.
As for well qualified solicitors and accountants, they are usually well educated and have the ability to either retrain or change emphasis e.g. move from criminal law into internet based law, it’s still the wild west out there and governments are moving in to regulate it more. It’s just the way things are at the moment, fast moving and very competitive, no one is owed a living but a good education gives you a much better chance.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am

MOF wrote:So he lived the lifestyle, burnt through all the money and at retirement age didn’t have the ability, when asked, to say no?
You got that one right! He earned (in today's money) about £150,000 a year for over 20 years and came away with nothing - as he was in the US all that time, he doesn't even get a state pension.

MOF wrote:I’m guessing you didn’t like school. I did for the most part and though there were some teachers who didn’t exactly enthuse me I think that the subjects they taught were the necessary spread and foundation for getting on in life.
I went to countless different schools and they were (with the exception of Maidstone Grammar) all dreadful. Every teacher a violent psychopath looking for any excuse to beat or belittle the kids. I remember getting the cane from the headmaster of one Lincolnshire Grammar School only to realise that he had a raging boner in his pants whilst doing it. That sums up everything about my take on the British educational system.

MOF wrote:as one German chancellor said (paraphrased) ‘I am happy to sell our products to you in English, however if you wish to sell your products to us then you will have to speak German’.
German was my first language. Like the Marx Brothers, I grew up in a German-speaking household - only I learned English and a perfect pronunciation by listening to the BBC - in particular, my social attitudes and the voices I used were modeled on The Goon Show and Round The Horn. In that, I received a very good education. (Though my father looked somewhat worried when I started talking like Kenneth Williams.)

MOF wrote:no one is owed a living but a good education gives you a much better chance.
I absolutely agree - let me know when such a thing becomes available!

Every young and enthusiastic teacher I ever experienced, either as a schoolboy or in later years as a parent quit. That brigade of tired, nasty, elderly and viciously stupid that populate the upper reaches of educational systems almost everywhere force them out.

Imagine an educational system where the physics teacher is like Sam (Look Mum, no computers!) with which Tone started this thread. Unimaginable?

He wouldn't last five minutes! But until that can happen - you don't have an educational system, all you have is a system to make the poor creatures into obedient workers.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:37 am

The Red Bladder wrote:It's just culturally and physically obscene when a 70-something in tight leather pants gets down on his knees, holds the mic in both hands, shuts his wrinkly old eyes and sings about young baby-love - whilst his stagehands stand by in case he can't get back to his feet again!

It's actually a well honored tradition, especially in old kingdoms where old aristocrats (i.e. men with money) have always sought the love of people half.. pardon, 1/5th of their age.

These fella's at least do in just in singing..

:bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:25 pm

you don't have an educational system, all you have is a system to make the poor creatures into obedient workers.
I did enjoy the educational system, sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough ride and now have a very jaundiced view. Thankfully the psychopaths can’t exhibit their traits openly anymore without getting the sack.
I stick by my general point of view that it’s important to be educated in a broad range of subjects as a foundation, even if it’s by rote, as several of mine were, in order to go on and study to a higher level, whether that’s academic or job specific training.
The Education Act of 1870 was contentious in its day, it was designed to provide numerate and literate workers to compete with an emerging industrialised Germany which took an educated, scientific approach to research and manufacturing. Britain realised it needed an educated workforce to compete but the upper classes were concerned that if truly educated, in the broadest sense, the workers would then start asking questions about their position in society and become dissatisfied with their lot.
Thankfully we didn’t have a revolution and the remit of education was broadened. In fact it’s those people who chose not to study, and there were quite a few in my school, that became the ‘obedient workers’ and they probably don’t have a problem with that. Not everyone wants to be a manager, entrepreneur, academic etc.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 am

Getting back on topic, I don’t think Look Mum No Computer would give a toss about any of this philosophical stuff, he’s too busy having loads of fun.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous