You are here

Shame ! Korg wavestate problem with W10 usb midi connection

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Shame ! Korg wavestate problem with W10 usb midi connection

Postby PHC Dirk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm

! My new Korg Wavestate will not connect to my W10 pc via USB midi. This apparantly is a known problem, introduced with a W10 update from more then a year ago.
Problem occurrs when more then 10 different usb/midi devices has been connected to the pc, ie the mid ports 0 to 9 are occupied, and the mid10 (or higher) is allocated to the wavestate.
Apparantly the korg driver does not recognize a 2 digit midi port number.

Korg forum: solution suggested is to (after install of latest sw/drivers etc) to use the korg usbmidi delete utility and delete a mid port. Done this, but after connecting the usb cable to my wavestate port mid11 is allocated, ie no connection. Even after deleting “all” mid ports, it Is not working.

A possible solution to this (desribed by a handy korg user on web), is to manually make changes to the register. This Allthough the procedure is documented very well, there even is a video, this to me is not a acceptable solution, just to risky.

Needless to say that the above mentioned procedure can not be supported by Korg whatsoever.

...... so what is Korg doing ??
PHC Dirk
New here

Re: Shame ! Korg wavestate problem with W10 usb midi connection

Postby RobustAmerican » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 pm

I've never run into this as most of my synths are connected via 5 pin midi cables to a midi interface. I've seen and heard the horror stories though. Did you restart/boot after deleting all the usb midi ports? Worth a shot. You could always try using good old midi cables if you have an interface.
RobustAmerican
Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 am

Very annoying that the fix you have been given doesn't work.

It's about time Korg updated their driver to cope with this. The Windows 10 update was to address a long standing limitation in Windows with the number of known MIDI devices and Korg are lacking if they still haven't updated their own driver accordingly. I know this doesn't help you now, but I felt like a little rant :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby PHC Dirk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Countless reboots .... not tested, but the good old 5 pin din midi cable will work. I have a motu Midi interface, usb to multiple ins and outs.

But I find single usb cable so much more convenient, and anno 2020 !
PHC Dirk
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm

While I agree that Korg really should update their driver, you have to admit that you're something of an 'outlier customer' with more than 10 USB midi devices... (I have five and could push six at a stretch! ;-) )
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:While I agree that Korg really should update their driver, you have to admit that you're something of an 'outlier customer' with more than 10 USB midi devices... (I have five and could push six at a stretch! ;-) )

:think: :silent: ;)

Seriously though... not that I was looking to, but it rules out buying one for me as that would be a dealbreaker in my environment. At a quick count I've got 19 USB MIDI devices here of which 16 or so are actually connected.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby PHC Dirk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 pm

I am somewhat surprised by comment from Hugh about no of mid devices.
Note that mid ports allocated by devices will not be freed up after disconnect (or even sell) of device. I was not aware of this, until after my problems with the wavestate.

There are many “non synth” usb/midi devices: WinPC (wdm mid, soundcard driver mid, Vmid), Motu usb/mid, midas m32, presonus faderport, roland guitar synth .. then my collection of synths..

Note that after “clean up” of the midport table (deleting mid ports), the Wavestate still allocates mid10, ie driver does not work.
Apparantly some other Korg devices experience this same problem. My Korg Kronos works fine, also after the cleanup.
PHC Dirk
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Hmmm, a quick look round tells me I'm using 8 midi ports and don't have any hardware synths (but 3 controllers).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:11 pm

I thought you said above there was a registry edit solution?

That sounds trivial enough to test to see if it works, and revert if it doesn't...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

desmond wrote:I thought you said above there was a registry edit solution?

That sounds trivial enough to test to see if it works, and revert if it doesn't...

It does, but in that regard I am less tolerant than you are. If one has a roomful of sources then anything requiring a little 'special exception' workaround sets a precedent that can lead to pain later.

For some things it may be grudgingly acceptable but for something as daft as a contemporary device not recognising double figure port numbers I'd veto it on principle because that's shoddy engineering at best. They really should fix that.

Fortunately in my case not applicable but if I had bought one and it was exhibiting this issue I would undoubtedly return it for a refund.

Edit: I appreciate that I might be slightly more militant when it comes to some things than others, but I've been bitten in the past and as a result I've found myself with less tolerance for such things than some people might be!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 pm

Perhaps this utility might be of some help?

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I have currently 24 USB devices in my system.. but none used for MIDI :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 am

CS70 wrote:Perhaps this utility might be of some help?

Yes, I've recommended that utility in the past when I was still writing my PC Notes column, and still occasionally launch it.

It's amazing the number of USB devices that you build up over the years.

However, I still do my level best to use 5-pin DIN MIDI wherever possible, as this just works whereas USB MIDI can still have a few 'quirks'.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 am

I have to use a pair of 12-port USB hubs! I've hit the USB resourcedevice limit on one hub, so had to do some re-jigging, but I've not hit the MIDI device limit with any piece of gear - those days are long past, and Korg sofware designers really shouldn't be aware of this.

I do run a utility called 'Ghostbuster' from time to time to remove 'ghosted' devices.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby PHC Dirk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 pm

Tried to find contact within Korg, ie email address or else. I was directed to Korg representative in the Netherlands/Benelux, a dutch company called Voerman. I have sent email describing my problem and asked for advise. I doubt whether Voerman is the right contact for this kind of sw problems

Can anybody help/advise me on a better/direct contact within Korg ?
PHC Dirk
New here

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 pm

CS70 wrote:Perhaps this utility might be of some help?

I have currently 24 USB devices in my system.. but none used for MIDI :)

Useful!
resistorman
Frequent Poster