You are here

Just 20 Years

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Just 20 Years

Postby adrian_k » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:34 pm

Apparently true story. A firm I worked with for a short time used to make and install mobile command and control units in military vehicles. Despite extensive testing, occasionally they might need to be restarted if a problem occurred. So they put a recessed button on the front and labelled it “BOOT” .....

Quite a few units were returned with the sh1t kicked out of them. :bouncy:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Rich Hanson » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:49 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
N i g e l wrote:I think the Moog Source used more reliable military grade memory

It may well be decent memory but 'Military Grade' is a term much misunderstood. It doesn't mean "better"... far from it. It means "the cheapest that'll meet the basic requirements".

In some instances that's true, but a lot of the stuff I used to work on, Mil Spec meant hardened components (increased operational temperature ranges, higher voltage tolerances and so on).

Although one piece of equipment I worked on that went into Hawks was based on a bog-standard 80186!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 am

Rich Hanson wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:
N i g e l wrote:I think the Moog Source used more reliable military grade memory

It may well be decent memory but 'Military Grade' is a term much misunderstood. It doesn't mean "better"... far from it. It means "the cheapest that'll meet the basic requirements".

In some instances that's true, but a lot of the stuff I used to work on, Mil Spec meant hardened components (increased operational temperature ranges, higher voltage tolerances and so on).

Ahh, but the temperature range, voltage tolerances and so on are "the basic requirements" from a military point of view and as such will be catered for by the cheapest solution that'll meet them. As the military constitutes a market in its own right, these requirements may or may not be appropriate for non-military use, as meeting them may incur undesirable penalties in the form of lifespan, power consumption, weight and so on depending on the item in question.

My point is that military spec often doesn't translate well to non-military use cases ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:13 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:My point is that military spec often doesn't translate well to non-military use cases ;)

And that "cheapest solution to some requirements" doesn't necessarily translate to "cheap", I guess. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous