You are here

Looking for a great expressive VST instrument for melodies

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Looking for a great expressive VST instrument for melodies

Postby Henri9009 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all!

What instrument (including the name of the plugin) would you suggest to use as a melodic executor?

I’m looking for something expressive (be able to work on musical nuances), to get a great melodic execution.

Thanks a lot!
Henri9009
New here

Re: Looking for a great expressive VST instrument for melodies

Postby RichardT » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Wow, that’s a big question!

It can only be a matter of choice, but I find myself often using Spitfire Chamber Strings and EWQL Play for orchestral melodies, Spitfire Eric Whitacre Choir for vocal (choir) lines, and Omnisphere and Serum for synth leads.

But to be honest, any decent VST instrument will do, the key thing is to learn how best to use it.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Henri9009 wrote:Hi all!

What instrument (including the name of the plugin) would you suggest to use as a melodic executor?

I’m looking for something expressive (be able to work on musical nuances), to get a great melodic execution.

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forum!

How do you define "melodic execution" and "musical nuances"? I ask because any tuned VST instrument can execute a melody, and "nuance" is an ambiguous term. What is it you are trying to achieve? ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby BJG145 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:25 am

...yeah, the question's too broad really.

Here's one example of a particular kind of expressive VST performance...

https://youtu.be/zDm7LqbV5No?t=28

SWAM produce physically modelled recreations of acoustic instruments, and you can assign the parameters to different controllers to capture some of the nuances of performance that, say, a violinist could achieve.

But you could do this with anything; mapping controllers to different parameters within a synth for expressive control.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:43 am

And, as we've been discussing in another thread, I think this subject has more to do with the hardware controller in use than the VST instrument. Something like Equator is an incredibly expressive instrument when played via a Roli Seaboard, but it would be pretty static if you were using a basic, no-frills keyboard.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:48 am

Animoog, is there anything more expressive? Pure heaven.
It’s not a VST though.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:19 am

The Elf wrote:And, as we've been discussing in another thread, I think this subject has more to do with the hardware controller in use than the VST instrument. Something like Equator is an incredibly expressive instrument when played via a Roli Seaboard, but it would be pretty static if you were using a basic, no-frills keyboard.

True, and also it has more to do with the musical skills of the performer. Without those, nothing much can be done.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:14 pm

RichardT wrote:
The Elf wrote:And, as we've been discussing in another thread, I think this subject has more to do with the hardware controller in use than the VST instrument. Something like Equator is an incredibly expressive instrument when played via a Roli Seaboard, but it would be pretty static if you were using a basic, no-frills keyboard.

True, and also it has more to do with the musical skills of the performer. Without those, nothing much can be done.

In a discussion like this, as a general rule of thumb, I think we have to assume that the musical skills of the performer aren’t in question.
Some controllers suite some instruments more than others, you can kill an instrument just by using the wrong controller.
An obvious example are some of my i Pad apps, TC11 and Animoog die a death if you try and use a conventional keyboard, they’ve been designed perfectly for a touch screen.
The difficult bit is trying to find the right controller for the right instrument.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Henri9009 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!

How do you define "melodic execution" and "musical nuances"? I ask because any tuned VST instrument can execute a melody, and "nuance" is an ambiguous term. What is it you are trying to achieve? ;)

Thank you everyone!

Well... It's for pop song melodies. I use to sing my demos myself (no lyrics) but I don't sing anymore, my voice is rusted (do you say this in English?).

I'd like to get something expressive, like I could do with my voice. Not to robotic. I'm having a hard time expressing this in English (I'm limited).
Henri9009
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.