You are here

Most underrated synths...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Most underrated synths...

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Courtesy of the new listing of SOS articles 1994-2001 :mrgreen:

Just search Technics WSAR1

https://web.archive.org/web/20150607015 ... wsa1r.html
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am

I stand corrected...and even happier I snagged one for a great price!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster

Jonny

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am

Prophecy is great, but hardly underrated.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 am

Prophecy was and is great fun to use. Loved it.

May I mention the Roland JX8P? I had the PG800 programmer as well and got some of the most amazingly haunting pad sounds out of it.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 am

Zukan wrote:May I mention the Roland JX8P? I had the PG800 programmer as well and got some of the most amazingly haunting pad sounds out of it.
I agree completely. For some weird reason the JX-3P gets all the adulation, but the 8P is its big brother, and considerably better specced.

These days all my 8P duties are handled by an MKS-70 (the best DCO synth Roland ever made, IMHO), which I've had 'Wilkinson-ised and V4 Vecoven-ed' to the hilt, and I've added a Retroaktiv MPG-70 (ditched the PG-800) to give me access to all its new superfast envelopes and pulse-widthy goodness. I've fallen in love with it all over again.

Word has it that Fred Vecoven now has his sights set on the JX-8P for his OS upgrade - if it's anything like the difference it made to the JX-10/MKS-70 it will be amazing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby mac.churchmouse » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:12 am

fatbenelton wrote:I'm going to throw Technics WSA1R into the mix!
I love my WSA1R - feel really lucky to have found one as I believe very few made it down to the Antipodes.
There's a 'mobility' to the sounds that place it above PCM romplers, and it's fun to fiddle about with and make weird sounds that somehow still seem organic and 'real'.
I'd love it more if I could find a replacement for that excellent screen. Mine is usable but I'm not sure how much longer it will remain legible.

Also: +1 for the JX8p

(Oh, and I reckon the Kawai XD-5 is a bit special too - goes beyond just punchy drums)
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Postby hasser964 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am

Yamaha CS-80
hasser964
New here

Postby BJG145 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:19 am

Hi hasser964 - welcome to the forum. But that's not an underrated synth - it's the most venerated collection of VCAs and VCOs ever assembled! ;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm

I’m guessing it was an ironic contribution :lolno:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:59 pm

I don’t know if this falls under MOST underrated, but I’ve been doing a lot of writing with the DSI MOPHO lately. I think it kinda got overshadowed by the Tetra, and if it were to be released today I think it would have radically different and more vintage trade dress.

I know I’ve poo poo’d the Curtis filter in the past, and it’s still not my fave, but the MOPHO is capable of some cracking good mono synth tones, has an incredibly deep modulation section, and is a dual oscillator analog synth with stereo effects. A lot of bang for the buck with that one!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:50 am

Ben, that's interesting as I feel that the Tetra is quite underrated. To me, it's a classic example of something greater than the sum of the parts. It's almost a poor mans Xpander - it can be poly or 4 x mono synth and the architecture is - like the Mopho - an extension of the P08 voice. I love the sequencers built in as mod sources - great idea. It has the weight of sound that you'd expect and can be quite "classic Sequential" sounding but can be pushed much more (the filter has a much greater range than classic kit).

I have an idea for a band / way of playing and, regardless of what I would do in the studio, I could happily stick a Tetra into a small live rig and it would pretty much do everything I'd need from a small collection of synths. It's a brilliant box and I even picked mine up s/h for a song.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:18 pm

The Tetra has been on my list for ages, this really makes me GAS for one now lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:58 pm

I saw one recently for about £200 which is half what they typically go for. I was very tempted because it could act as a 4-voice expander for my P08 (or for your Mopho, Ben!) but also it has its own qualities - e.g. analog input and pre-filter feedback, which the P08 doesn't have. Bargain as it was, of all the things I might want to spend £200 on, more DSI wasn't the priority.

However, if I wanted to take a mono Mopho to a 5-voice Prophet...
I think that form factor may have had some success in the past... :beamup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Dave sold me on acquiring a Tetra a few years ago, but I lost that memory in the mists of time. Thanks to this reminder I've now put the situation to rights. Expect more from me when the postman's called... ;) :)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BillB » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Crikey! Reminder.... Done! You don't hang about.

Is there no better half to worry about introducing the idea of thinking that maybe it might be a good idea that perhaps this synth could be THE ONE that you really need and its potentially the last one ever but let's be realistic it probably isn't but even so it's a great deal and in my synth-distorted perspective on the world it is simply essential and don't you agree? Please?

Or is that just me? :headbang:

And besides, how do you go from reminder to done in a day? There aren't that many Tetra's around - or do you have a special source of S/H goodies?
BillB
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext