You are here

Opinions wanted: Nord Wave 2 vs Novation Summit

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Opinions wanted: Nord Wave 2 vs Novation Summit

Postby Astronautilus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi,

I have a ROMpler for imitative sounds and gigging, but I'm looking for a keyboard just for fun/inspiration/recording. I need something that's intuitive to program, hence some knobs!

My budget is around £2k so I'm looking at the Nord Wave 2 and the Novation Summit. Should I be considering anything else? Perhaps the Yamaha Montage or Prophet Rev2?

Thanks for any help...
Astronautilus
Poster

Re: Opinions wanted: Nord Wave 2 vs Novation Summit

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:00 pm

The Wave is a good machine, but the Peak/Summit are sublime. If you can live with 8 voices the Peak is a lot of synth in a small space.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:44 am

If I were looking to blow 2k on a straight synth, my head would say Prophet 08 rev2 but my heart would say OB6...

There are a load of different options though. You pretty much can’t get a bad synth at the moment. I was quite impressed by the Montage but I wouldn’t class that in the ‘grab it, twist it and have fun’ category. Have a good think about what you want - the Summit, Prophet, OB, etc are all straight polysynths so if you need Rhodes, Hammond, piano, choir, etc then you are going to get frustrated. If you do want the ability to do those, then the Wave makes more sense.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:14 am

Dave B wrote:If I were looking to blow 2k on a straight synth

Depends what you want it for, what sound you like, type of synthesis, etc etc etc etc all are good that have been mentioned, but my Matriarch takes the biscuit for me, and shouldn’t be left out of anyone’s short list, totally brainless to use, heavenly Moog sound, the icing on this lovely multi-coloured cake are the filters and delay.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Astronautilus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 am

Arpangel wrote:... my Matriarch takes the biscuit for me, and shouldn’t be left out of anyone’s short list, totally brainless to use, heavenly Moog sound, the icing on this lovely multi-coloured cake are the filters and delay.

Would have been on my list too, except for lack of k/b split, and the 49 note keyboard. Shame though...
Astronautilus
Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 am

49keys and split? Rules out the OB6 then. Shame.

If you wanted something a little different sounding then there is the Korg Prologue which, imho, sounds more like an old Japanese synth from back in the day rather than a big American sounding one. I tried it and quite liked it but definitely wanted the bigger keyboard and extra polyphony of the larger version.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

SOS Review of Nord Wave 2 in coming OCT2020 issue

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:03 am

If you can wait that long, there's an in-depth review by Robin Bigwood of this synth in our upcoming OCTOBER 2020 issue (live on website from Thursday 17th September).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 am

Astronautilus wrote:Would have been on my list too, except for lack of k/b split, and the 49 note keyboard. Shame though...

Yes, it is annoying isn’t it, I’m wondering how many potential sales have been lost by this trend, it’s about time things went back to normal, and yes, normal means A FULL SIZED 61 NOTE KEYBOARD at the very least.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Astronautilus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for opinions everyone (and shame about the Wave 2 review in October SOS). I've also been listening to YouTube reviews on both synths, as well as pouring through both user manuals, and I've finally decided to go with the Summit.

Everyone who's used it speaks highly of the Summit. As do most owners of the Wave 2 actually, but the deciding factors were the single LFO on the Nord, plus lack of a voice 'compare' facility. OK and the extra few hundred quid!
Astronautilus
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 am

Astronautilus wrote:Thanks for opinions everyone (and shame about the Wave 2 review in October SOS). I've also been listening to YouTube reviews on both synths, as well as pouring through both user manuals, and I've finally decided to go with the Summit.

Everyone who's used it speaks highly of the Summit. As do most owners of the Wave 2 actually, but the deciding factors were the single LFO on the Nord, plus lack of a voice 'compare' facility. OK and the extra few hundred quid!

If it’s any conciliation, a friend bought a Summit a couple of months back, he’s 150% happy with it, he said "this’ll be my main synth till the day I die"
I got my Matriarch because of its simplicity, and I don’t need the complexity of synthesis and versatility of the Summit, but if I was looking for something in that area of the market the Summit would be my choice too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Astronautilus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:56 am

Arpangel wrote: If it’s any conciliation, a friend bought a Summit a couple of months back, he’s 150% happy with it, he said "this’ll be my main synth till the day I die"
I got my Matriarch because of its simplicity, and I don’t need the complexity of synthesis and versatility of the Summit, but if I was looking for something in that area of the market the Summit would be my choice too.

Thanks for this... it helps confirm that I've made the right choice!

For me, there's also a certain symmetry to this choice, because in 1999 Andertons were selling their last few Supernova II's, and I hesitated and missed out. I went with my second choice, a Korg Z1 and as good as the Z1 is, I always regretted that bit of indecision.

This feels something like a second chance!
Astronautilus
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am

Another extremely happy Summit owner here. It's definitely a keeper!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 am

When he said he’d be happy with the Summit till the day he died, he is 98, and he’s not feeling too good.

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster