You are here

Long holiday weekend = synth re-org!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Long holiday weekend = synth re-org!

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

I think MC500's *look* way more cool than they actually are to use...

Although all these early hardware sequencers are pretty obtuse, from the MC4/8 through the QX1 and so on. Not my idea of practical sequencing these days! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:13 pm

desmond wrote:I think MC500's *look* way more cool than they actually are to use...

Although all these early hardware sequencers are pretty obtuse, from the MC4/8 through the QX1 and so on. Not my idea of practical sequencing these days! :headbang:

I always thought the MC500 was a cash register, or calculator of some sort, but they are much easier to understand.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:48 pm

desmond wrote:I think MC500's *look* way more cool than they actually are to use...
YES!

Although all these early hardware sequencers are pretty obtuse, from the MC4/8 through the QX1 and so on.
And this presents another reason why I am grateful for resources like mu:zines which enable us to read contemporary reviews of this equipment. There are a lot of tips and tricks in those reviews, which were common sense 25 years ago, but are now lost in time as the hardware world has moved on.

Not my idea of practical sequencing these days! :headbang:
The reason I got the MC-500 in the first instance was because I wanted a polyphonic sequencer. Since that time, the KeyStep Pro has come along. :silent:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Realised last night that I don't have a way to fly spoken word or other sonic effects into the setup for a musique concrete element -- so I grabbed my trusty RC-20 and RV-3 and pressed them into service. The RV-3 has one of my favourite delay modes: it's a 200 mS delay with about 100 repeats when you have the feedback all the way up; it creates a true cacaphonous din, as it will repeat for nigh on 2 minutes with anything passing through its input. Good for drones, but if you are looking for a Steve Reich/Gavin Byars type of thing (but albeit with looser timing), it's perfect.

The first piece is starting to come together nicely, I'm really liking the way this sounds just played live to stereo mixdown.

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 pm

First five-ish minutes of the first ... er, piece? I definitely wouldn’t call it a song lol ... is written. Flying in the live looping is a lot of fun, pretty challenging to remember exactly when I am playing loops, advancing them, or applying delay, as well as switching patches on the synths. Definitely a performance aspect that may require a script/score.

Musically I don’t think this is very different from other large scale pieces I’ve attempted before, like Megalith, but it feels more compact? Immediate? to me.

Audio coming soon, I think I’ve hit the main meat of the piece now, it’s definitely taking on a Krautrock vibe after the initial weirdness.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Bed tracks are coming along, it's a bit of a juggle cycling through the drum patterns.

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting/mercury-demo01
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous