You are here

(Ensoniq) Perfect Piano

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: (Ensoniq) Perfect Piano

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:57 pm

BillB wrote:I have asked the vendor of the 3 in 1 card for his view and got no response. I don’t know whether this artefact is particular to this 3-in-1 card or whether it applies to the original Ensoniq ‘Perfect Piano’ cards. So, first question is, does anyone have experience of thIs card or soundset and does the issue I describe sound familiar or not?
It was William Coakley. Very nice guy and a perfectionist. He helped me out with my sample set, back when 64MB of RAM in anything was a big deal. I never had the pleasure of playing that sample set, but I doubt he would've allowed an obvious flaw like that. The card vendor doesn't say anything at all about where the samples are coming from. I'd like to know more.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:23 pm

There was also the GEM real piano expander and RP-X, samples and modelling combined with support for half-dampening.
Was the same tech found in the Promega series (and others) of which the Promega 3 was much loved by Rick Wakeman, though his is currently broken and can't find someone to fix it (probably due to a mixture of generalmusic's bankruptcy and the custom chips inside).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:It was William Coakley. Very nice guy and a perfectionist. He helped me out with my sample set, back when 64MB of RAM in anything was a big deal. I never had the pleasure of playing that sample set, but I doubt he would've allowed an obvious flaw like that. The card vendor doesn't say anything at all about where the samples are coming from. I'd like to know more.

Quite right, Coakley. I wrongly said Oakley in my first post. You are right, it doesn’t seem credible that there would be a gross sound error in ‘Perfect Piano’. But unless someone has heard the original card, or has the ZR76 which has it built in, it is difficult to say that there is an error with this one.

The developer, Radek, to the best of my understanding, has just taken the original expansion cards and ported the ROM of all 3 onto a single card. As the Ensoniq cards haven’t been sold for best part of 20 years, that seems reasonable, although I gather that samples have copyright for years (decades?).

It would just be good to know whether Perfect Piano has this strange sound, or just the 3x expansion clone.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:07 pm

DGL. wrote:There was also the GEM real piano expander and RP-X, samples and modelling combined with support for half-dampening.

Thanks, that might be something to consider. Seem to be precious few piano modules that would pass contemporary critical listening. The piano modules that sounded realistic in the eighties just would not make the grade these days.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I like to use hardware boxes (turn them on, they run) and did find a GEM RealPiano on eBay for £175. But reading up about them revealed that they often have, or develop, terminal display issues, so that’s a fair amount of money for something that might become unusable.

A bit more digging around found this for the iPad.
https://www.uvi.net/ravenscroft-275-piano.html

Aside from taking up 850mb of my already space-challenged iPad, it works fine. No dodgy decays, just a very credible tone that sounds great through the studio monitors. Oh, and £35 - expensive for an app but cheap for what it is.

I would love to know, if anyone comes this way with an Ensoniq ZR76 or an MR with original Perfect Piano expansion installed, what they think of it. And if anyone else was thinking of buying the 3-in-1 expansion card for Ensoniq MR from here
http://sampler-expansions.dxp.pl/ensoniq.htm
...for the purposes of obtaining a ‘Perfect Piano’, I would first demand a recording of held/sustained lower notes to check how it sounds. A bit of chirpy Liszt or Chopin does not readily reveal the problem.

As I said above, I won’t be demanding a money back return, because the 3-in-1 card gives access to a lot of other sound patches and transwaves for £200, but perfect it is not.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Previous