You are here

Arturia PolyBrute SOS Review - it lives!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Arturia PolyBrute SOS Review - it lives!

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Dave B wrote:
Berylito wrote:Digital vs analog belongs in the last century.

Blimey! Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have the whole "Mac vs PC" argument again ......

:D

There is no argument, never has been, just get both, it works every time.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 pm

desmond wrote:
zenguitar wrote:And who got Eddy in the sweepstake for the 1st to crack and make a purchase?

All of us.

Eddy, you are chronic. Chronic!

There's no hope for you. :tongue:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:41 pm

BJG145 wrote:
desmond wrote:
zenguitar wrote:And who got Eddy in the sweepstake for the 1st to crack and make a purchase?

All of us.

Eddy, you are chronic. Chronic!

There's no hope for you. :tongue:

Au contraire! There is a lot of hope it'll be delivered very early in December ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby RichardT » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm

. I have a patch on the Hydrasynth that you press a single key, release it and it then generates an *endless* evolving analogue-sounding soundscape of random-but-sensible rhythm and pitch via multiple levels and feedback loops of cross-modulation that drips into the ears like warm honey and won't repeat in any recognisable way forever. I left it running for 6 or so hours in the background once just to hear where it went ... it's a complete ambient soundtrack that never stops and never repeats. I reckon Don Buchla would have loved it.

Sounds fantastic Eddy. Any chance you could post a short extract?
RichardT
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:31 pm

Certainly. I'm currently scrobbling around under the desk and around the floor of the studio trying to track down and eliminate an electrical gremlin that trips the house breaker when I power the equipment on but once I've resolved that issue I'll fire up the kit and record a section. May be tomorrow, but I rather hope it doesn't take that long! :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Folderol » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:35 pm

If it wasn't for this virus thingy I'd offer to come down and give you a hand.
Mind you, I'd also need to know where you are :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm currently scrobbling around under the desk and around the floor of the studio trying to track down and eliminate an electrical gremlin that trips the house breaker when I power the equipment on

If you're powering everything up at once, its probably a brief surge of leakage currents through all the (paralleled) mains filters of your class 1 gear -- the surge being enough to trip the rcd. The class 2 gear shouldn't be a problem because it doesn't have an earth connection to dump into.

Consequently, you may find you need to switch the class 1 gear on in smaller batches.

The other possibility is something like I had, where the garden pond pump wiring had developed damp causing a standing earth current, reducing the headroom for surges! Took my tame electrician a little while to track that down!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks Hugh - I did find (and fix) the problem this afternoon, finally, although I don't have a full explanation for it.

My studio is powered from a single wall socket which feeds a series of seven or eight extension leads ranging from four to six sockets each, some of which are invidually switched. There is one extension (the fourth or so) which has a couple more hanging off it in a star formation.

After some painstaking logisitical things (small room + lots of densely packed stuff = hard to get to some areas) I narrowed the problem down to a specific extension lead.

In my setup is everything is powered down by default, so activating the power to the first plug in the chain shouldn't draw much current (unless I'm wrong and it does) - I manually turn things on as I need them.

After replacing the extension in question everything is fine again. It was a 6-socket unit from a reputable source with switches per socket. I disassembled it (before discarding it) to see if I could learn anything but there is no visible sign of any charring or other damage, other than a very mild discolouration on one of the contacts in one of the switches so at this point I'm not sure what the problem was but things seem stable again now and I'm happy that the house breaker is working as it should!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
My studio is powered from a single wall socket which feeds a series of seven or eight extension leads ranging from four to six sockets each, some of which are invidually switched. There is one extension (the fourth or so) which has a couple more hanging off it in a star formation.

I’ve always wondered about this, exactly what’s the limit as to how many we can daisy chain, it’s easy to work out the loading, but what about 15 6 socket extensions? or how about 30?
Large commercial studios don’t work like this, they have stuff plugged into all sorts of sockets, all over the place, so what’s the difference?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 pm

RichardT wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I have a patch on the Hydrasynth that you press a single key, release it and it then generates an *endless* evolving analogue-sounding soundscape ...

Eddy Deegan wrote:Certainly ... may be tomorrow, but I rather hope it doesn't take that long! :thumbup:

Just heading to bed and realised I'd forgotten all about this. I've got everything fixed and working in the studio again. I'll post an extract during the day!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby resistorman » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:20 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
RichardT wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I have a patch on the Hydrasynth that you press a single key, release it and it then generates an *endless* evolving analogue-sounding soundscape ...

Eddy Deegan wrote:Certainly ... may be tomorrow, but I rather hope it doesn't take that long! :thumbup:

Just heading to bed and realised I'd forgotten all about this. I've got everything fixed and working in the studio again. I'll post an extract during the day!
You never know where a post in this forum is going to wind up! I look forward to this.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby tomas » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:13 pm

resistorman wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:
RichardT wrote:

You never know where a post in this forum is going to wind up! I look forward to this.

I hope Eddy will also give some info on *how* he built his endless patch.
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:34 am

A bit embarassing that a day has turned into two and is now going to turn into three...

It's coming soon (sometime Friday). I've had a few things going on - I spent 5 hours today under the tattooists needle, unerestimated the impact it would have on my ability to do much afterwards and I'm feeling a little delicate ;)

As for the breakdown of how I made it, that's a valid request and I will give some details but I've got a packed schedule Friday, I'm going to be on the road all weekend and there are SOS forum album things a-plenty for me to do so don't expect a detailed writeup for a few days. That said, I will do one, and please remind me if I've not done it by late next week :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Dave B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Oooh I had a wobble the other night. I blame Eddy for taunting me on the Zoom call. So I went to Andertons to look up the shipping date. Thankfully, it won't be arriving until the very end of November, so I'm guessing more like 2021 for full availability. So my wallet is safe for another few months.

(which just means that I spend more on home refurbishment .. ah well .. )

Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BJG145 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I spent 5 hours today under the tattooists needle

Which synth did you go for in the end??
BJG145
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext