You are here

I bought a [Make Noise] Maths.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

I bought a [Make Noise] Maths.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:00 am

I bought a Make Noise Maths for my small modular, it’s still in the box.
It was a financial rather than a no compromise move.
To get all of the functionality of Maths from individual modules you’d have to pay a lot more money, and still get as good results.
It’s an LFO, a mixer, an envelope generator, an inverter, an attenuator, a slew limiter, a dual oscillator, and much much more, all for £279, equivalent Doepfer modules would come to near a grand, or more.
The downside for me, as a lot of you will know, I’m not good at learning new things, and this is going to take some time to get my head around, and those hieroglyphic graphics don’t help.
But anyone here into modular if you already haven’t got Maths you ought to investigate, it’s an amazingly cheap, versatile and space saving module.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: I bought a Maths.

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Any good?
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:38 pm

There are a lot of great vids on YouTube that detail the functionality of the Maths. It can also be used as a subharmonic generator.

My favorite use for Maths is as a function generator, it's great for adding a bit of random into a patch. Using Maths or Function along with Branches from Mutable Instruments creates a lot of variety to a patch; a single EOR or EOC pulse can now have 4 possible destinations (technically, 4 probable destinations). Great for generative patches.

As an EG, Maths and Function are very good if you need a snappy envelope; I find them to be a bit harder to use when you want long envelopes, though you can get some outrageously slow envelopes with them; I just think other modules do a better job.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm

Tony, if you haven't found it already there is a comprehensive and extremely well put together Maths overview and walkthrough here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtpzysqJv8
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:There are a lot of great vids on YouTube that detail the functionality of the Maths. It can also be used as a subharmonic generator.

My favorite use for Maths is as a function generator, it's great for adding a bit of random into a patch. Using Maths or Function along with Branches from Mutable Instruments creates a lot of variety to a patch; a single EOR or EOC pulse can now have 4 possible destinations (technically, 4 probable destinations). Great for generative patches.

As an EG, Maths and Function are very good if you need a snappy envelope; I find them to be a bit harder to use when you want long envelopes, though you can get some outrageously slow envelopes with them; I just think other modules do a better job.

Thanks for all your replies folks, I’ve watched a few YT videos, lots there.
Ben, I’m interested in Maths random applications, especially for generative stuff, and self patching, that’s why I got it, but I’ve got to sit down and explore it in that respect.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:09 am

How go your experiments with Maths? I just ordered a Dreadbox Eudemonia as a characterful filter for the Quadnic. I’m going to see if I can write a Krautrock style piece using the modular.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:How go your experiments with Maths? I just ordered a Dreadbox Eudemonia as a characterful filter for the Quadnic. I’m going to see if I can write a Krautrock style piece using the modular.

I breifly tried it out, just to make sure it was working OK, it is.
I’m away at the moment, when I get back I’m going to try and use it for a few things, mostly, attenuation and mixing, plus the two LFO/VCO's.
I have a small rack, and don’t intend to expand, which is why I bought Maths, I need to prove that it can be a basic four channel mixer, which I think it can, channels 1-4 will accept external signals through the function generator, channels 2-3 will pass audio/CV straight out if something is plugged in, or a CV if they are unplugged.
I’m looking forward to,using it as a complex oscillator, and more than anything, a really slow dual LFO.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: I bought a [Make Noise] Maths.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:19 pm

It will definitely do the slow LFO thing. Positively glacial! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:It will definitely do the slow LFO thing. Positively glacial! :D

Yeah! I’ve found in the past, it’s good not to try and force modules into what you think are their "intended" functions, it’s like putting them in a straight jacket.
Sometimes it’s best just to let them guide you away from all that, just play around and see what happens, who knows, I may end up using it for things I never dreamed of, and when designing a modular I have to let go of any idea of a structure, or trad synth architecture, it’s actually quite a difficult thing to do, and still end up with a "musical" workable system.
I had an idea, lots of VCA's, random sound sources, a mixer, a few ring modulators, but before I knew I was ruuning out of space! It’s really very strange, when I had my previous system, I got it down to 9U 84 hp, and that, for some strange reason, seamed to be critical mass, any more or any less, and I couldn’t do what I wanted to do, so it will be interesting to see if I can squeeze what I want out of 3U!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Best part of modular is the ability to make an instrument totally unique to you ... or not! I love that freedom. For me, the modular is more about having a bunch of gnarly voices and more compositional sequencing.

If I was going to go the route you're going, I would look at 2hp and Erica Synth Pico modules. You can fit a lot in a small space that way and not bust the bank. I guess it could be done with full size modules as well if you're keeping the voice count very low.

Have you ever done anything using Quantussy cells?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Best part of modular is the ability to make an instrument totally unique to you ... or not! I love that freedom. For me, the modular is more about having a bunch of gnarly voices and more compositional sequencing.

If I was going to go the route you're going, I would look at 2hp and Erica Synth Pico modules. You can fit a lot in a small space that way and not bust the bank. I guess it could be done with full size modules as well if you're keeping the voice count very low.

Have you ever done anything using Quantussy cells?

Thanks for that, just checked out Quantussy Cells, interesting, it’s not far from what I’m trying to do, instead of using one LFO with different waveforms, I’m using multiple independent LFO's, into sample and holds, also experimenting with random triggers into the S&H too.
I have a 4ms Noise Swash, I love that, and a Jupiter Storm, with my Maths, I’m not doing too well on saving space!
I'm going to have to sell my Rack Brute and get a Doepfer LC9, I can see it coming, I have the space, it’s just personal limitations stopping me from doing it!
I’ve already got a couple of 2hp LFO's, they are fiddly! so I’m not going to buy anymore small stuff.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’ve already got a couple of 2hp LFO's, they are fiddly! so I’m not going to buy anymore small stuff.
If I need to make a lot of adjustments, I find the 2hp and Erica Pico stuff to be too fiddly as well! For other uses, like sequential switching, they work well. I really like the 2hp Pluck as well, it’s a space saver since Karplus Strong synthesis normally takes up a bunch of modules. I find 8hp, generally, to be the sweet spot for my fingers to comfortably control a module. You can get a wide range of interesting sounds from Pluck, or even use it for rhythm.

I also really like the feel and spacing of the controls on the Mother-32. I’ve been tempted to get a second one for years, Or the Intellijel Atlantis.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ve already got a couple of 2hp LFO's, they are fiddly! so I’m not going to buy anymore small stuff.
If I need to make a lot of adjustments, I find the 2hp and Erica Pico stuff to be too fiddly as well! For other uses, like sequential switching, they work well. I really like the 2hp Pluck as well, it’s a space saver since Karplus Strong synthesis normally takes up a bunch of modules. I find 8hp, generally, to be the sweet spot for my fingers to comfortably control a module. You can get a wide range of interesting sounds from Pluck, or even use it for rhythm.

I also really like the feel and spacing of the controls on the Mother-32. I’ve been tempted to get a second one for years, Or the Intellijel Atlantis.

Yes, you’re right, small is OK for things you don’t have to fiddle with, but not for filters or mixers etc.
I still like the feel of Doepfer stuff, quality, and the resistance of the knobs is just right.
I’m not sure where I’ll go with all this, I put a rack together on the grid, using 6HP, and a I actually couldn’t fill it up, so I think my 3U should be fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster