You are here

Is this a VST Scam or Illegal?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Is this a VST Scam or Illegal?

Postby simba2000 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:35 pm

Hello,

Im new to the VST scene. Is this a legit sale or a scam for Keyscape on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vst-Plugins...UAAOSw171faQwM

I have seen a few of these type of sales for VST plugins where they say they are taken from old laptops and fully functional but no ability to get updates and legal via EU laws.

Thanks!
simba2000

Re: Is this a VST Scam or Illegal?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Page doesn't work for me so it might be a scam that's already been removed.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:40 pm

It doesn't matter where they are "taken" from, you can't legally resell software, because you never own the software, what you own is the license to use it - no licence in the deal, then you're paying for nothing.

In the case of the Spectrasonics stuff, selling this software includes transferring the licence owner to the buyer, and there's a fee for this.

Anything else, is just piracy.

I can't check the terms of that ebay listing as it's been removed, but I expect it's the same old people selling dodgy stuff to suckers.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Rockrooms » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:46 am

desmond wrote:It doesn't matter where they are "taken" from, you can't legally resell software, because you never own the software, what you own is the license to use it - no licence in the deal, then you're paying for nothing.

Oracle thought so to and lost in their case in the EU Court of Justice:
"All software that has been "sold" for a lump sum payment in combination with a perpetual licence is in principle eligible for resale." :

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... 1afa52a2d8

This has driven a lot of the "cloud" subscription licenses that are increasingly common as they are no longer a perpetual license.
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:52 am

Rockrooms wrote:Oracle thought so to and lost in their case in the EU Court of Justice:
"All software that has been "sold" for a lump sum payment in combination with a perpetual licence is in principle eligible for resale." :

I think you misunderstood me. I was comparing the difference to selling your *licence*, along with a copy of the software (which is most cases is allowed), versus people just selling a copy of the software, *without* including their licence, which is just piracy.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Rockrooms » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 pm

desmond wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I was comparing the difference to selling your *licence*, along with a copy of the software (which is most cases is allowed), versus people just selling a copy of the software, *without* including their licence, which is just piracy.

Ah, fair enough. It sounds like this was firmly the in the latter category.
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:25 pm

What typically happens is that someone downloads a dodgy copy of "Software X" from the net.

Feeling great about how smart and clever they are, they then list the software for sale on ebay - not too cheap, which would make it look dodgy, but expensive enough that people might think "Ok this seems a likely selling price for this" so it seems more "legit".

Then they need to invent some way of plausibly selling this multiple times over, so they'll often say things like "These copies were an unused education bundle for college" or "Genuine distributor stock for resale" or other b*llocks, so they can list 50 copies etc.

And when those run out, you just make a new listing for the next 50 copies or whatever...

Unfortunately, ebay get a cut of sales, so they don't care in the slightest about this kind of piracy trade, unless it negatively affects their platform in some way. So scammers sell and profit, people get their software "cheap", ebay profits, and everyone's happy (until upgrade time...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Just a heads-up that I've noticed this identical thread popping up on other music tech forums.

It still seems a legitimate query, but it does make me wonder what the intention of the OP is, especially as they don't seem to have returned to respond to our comments.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zenguitar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm

With my cynical head on, I can't get rid of a nagging feeling that the original post might have been made to promote the link.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby simba2000 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:32 pm

No...not at all....not trying to promote the link. Honestly inquiring about this software and I posted a similar question in different other areas (VI Control)...anxious to get answers.

I did purchase a similar VST set from Ebay, downloaded, and installed it. Haven't tried it in my DAW (still learning and setting up...I'm quite new), but I had no problem installing...no request for license, etc.

As I am getting my feet on the ground, I will remember to come back to this site....excellent info and very helpful folks. Thanks again.
simba2000

Postby zenguitar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Don't worry, I don't let my cynical head take control. We get targeted by so much spam here, and whilst most is easy to spot some spammers are very creative. I was just musing out loud.

You are very welcome here :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité