You are here

Modular update.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Modular update.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:Yup, as long as you don’t have to use more than 1-2 utilities as a time, Maths is a great solution!

That’s what’s bothering me a bit, if 1/4 are cycling LFO's, that blows them out as envelopes, using the mixer? no attenuators :(
Calling Dr Disting? :D

Seriously, that's what the Disting excels at: filling in utility niches. You just have to resist the urge to then buy the dedicated utility after trying it in the Disting! :headbang:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:Yup, as long as you don’t have to use more than 1-2 utilities as a time, Maths is a great solution!

That’s what’s bothering me a bit, if 1/4 are cycling LFO's, that blows them out as envelopes, using the mixer? no attenuators :(
Calling Dr Disting? :D

Seriously, that's what the Disting excels at: filling in utility niches. You just have to resist the urge to then buy the dedicated utility after trying it in the Disting! :headbang:

This is where discipline comes in, the Disting, even though it seems like a no brainer, the downsides far outweigh its advantages, for me, personally.

:crazy:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:17 pm

OK, the final rack...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1015413

No going back now, I’ve got the modules just got to put them in.
This was a good compromise, I didn’t want to buy too much expensive 2hp stuff, if I expand later it won’t make any sense.
The larger Make Noise stuff had to go, it was covering similar ground to what I have already.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:23 pm

That looks like a solid, well-thought-out skiff!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 pm

Don't worry, Drew. Even some of us steeped in synth-speak don't do modular.

The truth is that it's not as complicated as you'd fear, nor as simple as you'd hope.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:53 pm

The Elf wrote:Don't worry, Drew. Even some of us steeped in synth-speak don't do modular.

The truth is that it's not as complicated as you'd fear, nor as simple as you'd hope.

The beautiful thing about modular is because it’s so individual, it’s a major thrill when it actually works out, and music spills forth, from "your" instrument, I mean not just a few beeps and boops, but a finished piece, or a major contribution to ensemble or performance.
I do seriously believe that there is a critical mass for people who get into modular, for me it was about 9U, and even that was intimidating sometimes, that’s why I want to leave it here, and not expand. My little system does what I want it to do, it’s manageable, I can see at glance what’s happening, and that’s just fine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I added the Eudemonia to my modular over the weekend and started working on a new patch for a piece I'm calling If You Listed Everything You Have Eaten During The Past Month You Would Probably Find A Lot of Chicken. :)

My patch as it stands now:

Speaking as a vegetarian, that's a terrible name for a track.

Nice modular though!

;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:48 am

I’ve always been a big fan of Doepfer stuff, if I can’t look at a rack and immediately see what a module does I’m not interested. This cuts down patching time, the most important thing.
It’s only recently I started to take on board Make Noise stuff, I resisted it before, but now for some reason it doesn’t seem intimidating at all. I’ve only had my Maths about two weeks and it’s already indispensable.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

I have a small modular rig for processing sound in fun ways featuring a 4ms dual looper, Instruo Arbhar, Zverb, Rings, a Doepfer multi ode filter, and an eq. I cheat a bit by using an iPad for modulation sources. If I could figure out how to post a picture, I’d upload one :headbang:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 am

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Blinddrew, if you can use a keyboard synth, you can use a modular. it can be as simple, or as complicated as you want it to be, plus, there are people who are more than willing to help you get started.
This is the only synth I own: https://www.rakits.co.uk/assembly-guides/drum-synth/ :)
(actually that's not true, I have Xpand2! as a software synth as well).

That looks interesting, but when it comes to drums I’m rhythmically inept, maybe that’s why I’m into abstract synths :D
I think I got into modular because the keyboard synth isn’t really going anywhere interesting for me.
Keyboard synths have definite well defined uses for me, but for genuinely interesting things, that are mysterious still, I think modular is the vehicle for that journey now, especially with all the exciting modules we have now, that we didn’t have in the early days.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous