You are here

New Prophet 5/10 from SCI

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: New Prophet 5/10 from SCI

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 pm

desmond wrote:It doesn't seem so long ago that people were saying "they'd never make analog polysynths like they did back in the day because it's too expensive, no market...
It's a very expensive synth (only 5 octaves, not weighted, no effects, not multi-timbral etc. etc.). The market has changed to where people can afford it and have different expectations than 10 years ago. So no, I don't think those opinions were unfounded.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:52 am

£4000 ffs
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:40 am

johnny h wrote:£4000 ffs

It's a premium product from a premium brand. The OB-6 is currently around about $3000, but the quality of the instrument is superb, to the point it's borderline family heirloom stuff. I also had cause to contact their support department with an issue I was having with it and they revealed a bunch of 'under the hood' stuff to me that was world class engineering, enabled me (with their guidance) to resolve the issue and meant I didn't have to send it back for repair.

No clone would provide that, nor would it last as long in use I'm certain.

It's not just about the noise, it's about the physicality, the engineering, the support and the expected usable lifetime.

"You pays yer money you takes yer choice" & all that.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:22 am

johnny h wrote:£4000 ffs

It’s not expensive, in the grand scheme of things, this is a quality instrument designed and built using tried and tested engineering, and there will obviously be improvements on the original where needed.
They can afford to make them like they did, but at a price.
We’ve become used to modern materials and manufacturing to produce cheap things, but this has nothing to do with that approach. This is like going out to buy a revered old piano, or violin, that has been made according to original design ideals, that doesn’t come cheap.
Forget all the bells and whistles of modern synths, that’s not the point, this was perfectly formed straight off the bat, it doesn’t need any of that stuff.
Compared with something like a fully loaded Moog One, that has all these extra things, this is positively a bargain.

Check out track one, a piece I did using just an original Pro 5 into a BEL delay.

https://soniashore.bandcamp.com/album/the-end-of-the-world
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:53 pm

"Building Bamboo Houses by the million."
I wonder if Sylvian kept his Prophet 5...
FrankF
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Arpangel wrote:Check out track one, a piece I did using just an original Pro 5 into a BEL delay.

I really enjoyed that Tony, and in particular its slow evolution :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:15 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Check out track one, a piece I did using just an original Pro 5 into a BEL delay.

I really enjoyed that Tony, and in particular its slow evolution :clap:

Martin

Thanks Martin, that was a hairy session, I did it in some down time at my place, we had a guitar session going, and they went off to make some tea, you know what it’s like when something just comes out of nowhere and seems to work, we hired the Pro 5 in for just one day, beautiful thing, sold me on it.

FrankF wrote:"Building Bamboo Houses by the million."
I wonder if Sylvian kept his Prophet 5...

I’d say probably not.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 am

Tony, what I have heard so far is lovely, just listened to track 2, the ambient piano piece, really liked it. But I am confused.

"All tracks recorded, performed and produced by Sonia Shore (keyboards, piano, sound treatments)"

So are you Sonia Shore?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:28 am

BillB wrote:

Tony, what I have heard so far is lovely, just listened to track 2, the ambient piano piece, really liked it. But I am confused.

"All tracks recorded, performed and produced by Sonia Shore (keyboards, piano, sound treatments)"

So are you Sonia Shore?

This is "a complex situation"
I’ve been Wildlife Cathedral too at some points, these things can’t be changed as the artwork is done, I’d like to be known as my current entity, but unfortunately I can’t update the details and artwork.
Blimey! I’ve just listened to that track too, and you’re right, it is pretty good.
I forgot about this album, long time since I listened to it, some of the tracks I can’t believe it’s me.
You’re not going to believe this either, the acoustic piano tracks were recorded using a really good Bluthner Grand, but the microphone was an old Eagle Stereo mic from the late 70’s plugged into a Mackie 1604 into a Casio DA7 DAT machine. If you listen closely you can hear the rather high noise from the mic, but it’s fine, it works, I refused to redo it, the tracks were all done in one take and sounded good to me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:58 am

Arpangel wrote:
BillB wrote:So are you Sonia Shore?

I’ve been Wildlife Cathedral too at some points, these things can’t be changed as the artwork is done, I’d like to be known as my current entity, but unfortunately I can’t update the details and artwork.

That is a lovely track Tony, and I can now tick the box that says "have an album in my collection created by a man who likes to be known as Sonia at weekends" :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby BillB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:08 am

Tony, you can go under whatever identity you like.

As to the production quality - its the artistry that shines through, as should always be the case.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:43 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
BillB wrote:So are you Sonia Shore?

That is a lovely track Tony, and I can now tick the box that says "have an album in my collection created by a man who likes to be known as Sonia at weekends" :lol:

Thanks Eddy, much appreciated, it keeps us going.
That was a very turbulent and disturbed period of my life, Sonia was a bit more than weekends, but I’m happy now, and a lot more at home in my skin.
It's not always necessary to change things physically, you just have to see yourself in a different way, unfortunately the rest of the world all too often doesn’t see things like that.
It’s strange isn’t it, really tough times always seem to bring out my best music IMO.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:47 am

Arpangel wrote:It’s strange isn’t it, really tough times always seem to bring out my best music IMO.

Definitely true of me too, although I think it's worth striving to match that in good times as well :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:It’s strange isn’t it, really tough times always seem to bring out my best music IMO.

Definitely true of me too, although I think it's worth striving to match that in good times as well :thumbup:

Yes, I know, but when things are OK I tend to lack focus, and get distracted. When things are bad I disappear into my music to take my mind off of things.
Getting back to the origin of this thread, I’m a bit like that Pro 5, I keep reinventing myself!

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm

Really enjoyed that! :clap:

Some people do seem able to get the best out of the P5 - whatever I've ever done with one ends up sounding like the naffest brass stab patch in the world!

It's nice to hear someone get something beautiful out of that synth. Well done!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext