You are here

ELTA Solar 50

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: ELTA Solar 50

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The more I look into this synth, the more I think it’s aligned with my compositional goals. It’s an incredibly powerful machine! There’s something vaguely CS-80ish about the pile of sawtooth waves. The ONLY thing that I wish it had were more outputs. Five outputs pre-panned across the stereo spectrum would have made this utterly perfect, but I’ll take 99% perfection!

Adding extra outputs is often fairly easy if you ever indulge in DIY.

solar50.jpg

I've just had a look at the SOLAR 50 website, and it seems that five oscillators are by default connected to the Knob 01-05 control, and the other five to the Knob 06-10 control.

It's almost certain that each will be sent to these controls via resistors to mix the signals together, which means that you could tap off five of the oscillator signals before these resistors, and likewise for the other five. The chances are that you could simply send all ten signals to separate output sockets, with perhaps a smallish 1k series resistor to ensure that you can't short out the oscillators when you plug something into your new sockets.

After all, adding separate outputs is a common mod for things such as drum machines and the like, so lots of people have done this in the past.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:22 am

Thanks, Martin! I am very much not in the DIY camp lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am

Ben Asaro wrote:One filter in mono, no filter in stereo.

That’s a bit disappointing, they could at least give you a few filters across banks of oacilators.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 pm

I think they could have done a lot of things! But I still think it’s the most attractive new synth (along with the Peak and Summit) I’ve seen in a long time!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:14 am

Nuts, this discussion made me re visit the Subharmonicon, and now I’m torn! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:34 am

Time to start your crowd funding page ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 am

Lol srsly!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Well, I discussed this with my wife (who has no objection to my purchasing it), and after much back-and-forth'ing I've decided I'm going to pass on the Solar 50, as much as I would love to order it! I have serious concerns about pre-ordering something using the method that they want (supplying all of your personal info and then getting a PayPal invoice), there's just too much going on today in the way of cyber-threats. My other huge concern is having a one-off piece sent from another continent with email being my only recourse for service issues, and having the lack of technical skill that I possess, being unable to properly trouble shoot or service it myself.

I will say this -- it has inspired me to give my modular another look and I am going to be experimenting with the NerdSeq and Quadnic this weekend. Combined with the voices doubling that the Quadnic has and the TC MIMIQ, I can make an 8-voice super saw, which can then be doubled or quadrupled and mixed into stereo. :D

I was also surprised at how expensive the Subharmonicon is ... at $700, it's knocking on the door of the Solar 50 (Just a $400 difference between them in USD). But, ultimately, I think that the Subharmonicon will give me more of what my system needs at this point over introducing and entire new ecosystem and workflow to my creative overhead.

Kinda sad and relieved at the same time lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:56 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Well, I discussed this with my wife (who has no objection to my purchasing it), and after much back-and-forth'ing I've decided I'm going to pass on the Solar 50, as much as I would love to order it! I have serious concerns about pre-ordering something using the method that they want (supplying all of your personal info and then getting a PayPal invoice), there's just too much going on today in the way of cyber-threats. My other huge concern is having a one-off piece sent from another continent with email being my only recourse for service issues, and having the lack of technical skill that I possess, being unable to properly trouble shoot or service it myself.

I will say this -- it has inspired me to give my modular another look and I am going to be experimenting with the NerdSeq and Quadnic this weekend. Combined with the voices doubling that the Quadnic has and the TC MIMIQ, I can make an 8-voice super saw, which can then be doubled or quadrupled and mixed into stereo. :D

I was also surprised at how expensive the Subharmonicon is ... at $700, it's knocking on the door of the Solar 50 (Just a $400 difference between them in USD). But, ultimately, I think that the Subharmonicon will give me more of what my system needs at this point over introducing and entire new ecosystem and workflow to my creative overhead.

Kinda sad and relieved at the same time lol.

I think you’ve made a wise decision, especially regarding payment and support, a potential nightmare.
This synth is a great idea, but IMO a very flawed one, in reality.
There are too many compromises to make it worthwhile for me, more waveforms are essential, plus better filter implementation.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous