You are here

Looking for resources about VAST synthesis

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Looking for resources about VAST synthesis

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Hard to believe it’s been 5 months since I posted about this! I finally got round to watching the original K2000 tutorial on YouTube over the weekend (procrastinating on my SubH composition lol), and even scored a copy of the Best of Analog 3.5” floppy on eBay last night after learning about Andrew Schlesinger and his Solina string patch.

I got as far as formatting a blank floppy and walking through banks, programs, and basic editing.

The K2000 is on my list of deep dives now (after chiptune and the MOPHO) but in the interim I do have a question:

Is it possible to move a range of programs without having to export/import them from a floppy disk? e.g., This unit has orchestral sounds spread all over the place and want them organized into the 500-599 area. Or is it easier to create a Bank with my top 10 orchestral sounds?

On the JV1080 it’s super easy to move a program from one area to another but I didn’t see anything like that on the K2000, though I know it’s got to exist!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:14 pm

Found a way to save/move programs, though it's probably not the most efficient.

Looking forward to the K2000 deep dive, there's SO MUCH stuff here!!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Enjoy Malc » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:18 pm

One of the OS upgrades brings file utilities, where you can move, copy, etc on quite an advanced level, e.g. you can select objects by type and dependency, so ‘move all the keymap level objects from the 200s’, or ‘shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level’. er, etc.

There are various computer programs that manage k-series objects to some extent - the Mastering Vast forum has some info (and as mentioned before has a ton of other resources and discussion).

Mastering Vast also has a working version of Visual FUN, an app which runs in your web browser and lets you build FUNs and see the result in graphical form. Thats something I wish I’d had when I first started.

When you first play with the esoteric DSPs such as Shaper and Wrap, start by feeding them only sine and partial keymaps, and turn the DSP values right down. Put the data slider as a mod source and you will soon get a sense of how powerful these things are. 

The Elf wrote:The true beauty of it is setting values in Hz and dB, rather than the mind-numbing 1-100 of lesser synths!

And there’s no going back! I just bought my first non-kurzweil synth since (well, a very long time, ahem), and I cannot see how the world can function without Hz and dB! (And filters marked also in note pitch!). (And envelopes marked in time!). (And, and!).
Enjoy Malc
Poster
Sound designer using Kurzweil VAST http://enjoythesirens.com

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I definitely need to know how to shut down all the garbage washers on the detention level!

I will definitely be checking out that forum.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:56 pm

Semi-related question: does anyone know of a 4U rack that’s portable and deep enough to hold the K2000R? I’m having a devil of a time finding one!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby YashN » Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Andy, Nigel and Martin.

It's been brutal, I survived, and slowly getting back into exploring and expanding the capabilities of my setup for inspiration and composition.

Yes, my name hasn't changed across forums, so there does seem a bit of an audio-focused path over all these years in the online presence although I am active in several fields, some of which I don't really want to write about on forums so that I can focus on research.

The audiophiles forums can be tough ones to delve in: there are people who can be quite annoying. I was as surprised with some findings in this area (audiophile playback). In most of our instruments, the same issues arise. Pretty amazing when you think of it and hence there are several areas where we can envision improvements: PSUs, analogue sections, etc... especially in those older, vintage pieces of equipment.

It is interesting to deal with potential improvements on the production side as well, e.g. Mixer improvements, rackmount effect improvements, so that's what I am doing but for now, I am single-handedly focused on solely the jamming/composition side. The gear I am playing with: Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Korg DW-8000, Roland JX-3P (heavily modified), JX-8P, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular box with a few DIY modules, Soundcraft Delta 200, Lexicon LXP-15. I also have a Korg Polysix but it's down right now. There's a little thread with these explorations on Gearspace in the Geekspace section and JX-3P & Akai Tom Cat-focused ones on Modwiggler.

Coming back to the subject at hand, Ben, you will really like either a Gotek floppy emulator or even better, a SCSI2SD card to make using the Kurzweil a breeze. I still have to install a SCSI2SD on my K2500, but somewhere in slight recovery, we managed to snag an old battered K2000 v1.0 (a rarity) from the US and I repaired it. In this one I installed a Gotek floppy emulator and added a SDCard-to-USB dongle to use SDCards with it. The subsequent ability to populate and access 100 virtual floppies rather than juggling actual disks is worth the 20-30 odd pounds.

The SCSI2SD is way, way better, especially if you're going to use Samples a lot with the Kurzweil (highly recommended).

How are your V.A.S.T. explorations going?

What I really want now is getting a good easy way to use the KDFX effects as AUX Sends on the Soundcraft Delta 200.
YashN
Poster

Postby YashN » Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm

By the way, the real strength of this platform for me isn't that parameters are in Hz or cents or what not, although I do like this.

The real strength and beauty of this platform is this:

V.A.S.T. allows you to build whole synthesis architectures within it and use these individually or simultaneously. That's including existing synth architectures, or creating whole new ones. Replace 'synth architectures' with simply 'synths' and the meaning of the sentence remains more or less the same. Or use 'synthesis methods' and you get more or less the same aspect that makes this a thing of beauty.

Subtractive, Additive, West Coast, FM, etc... all able to be commissioned simultaneously under a single key press if you want that.
YashN
Poster

Previous