You are here

Looking for resources about VAST synthesis

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Looking for resources about VAST synthesis

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Now that I've had the K2000R for a few months, I finally have a bit of time to start delving into VAST synthesis.

Does anyone here know of any resources I could find? Books, videos, or even private tuition are all on the table, as I really want to start digging under the hood of this wonderfully complex machine!

Thanks in advance!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for resources about VAST synthesis

Postby MOF » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 pm

Did you get the manual with it, it’s a big beast and full of information?
If not there’s a pdf here http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/kur ... manual.pdf
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 pm

I do, indeed, have the massive, spiral-bound manual! But I do NOT have the PDF, so thanks much for that!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby YashN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 am

Hi Ben,

First, congrats on both the acquisition and the willingness. There's a whole universe to explore with V.A.S.T. synthesis.

Looks like I hadn't even created an SOS Forum login yet, although it has been one of my favourite synth magazines ever, so just did to write this. Was looking at some new synthesis techniques and transposing them mentally to my K2500XS + KDFX when this topic caught the side of my eye.

On YT, look for some of the official videos. User videos are also sporadically interesting. Some videos for later synths with more features can also be interesting just to understand how flexible these synths are (e.g. poserp who is a power user, The Puppeteer/Godlike Productions).

There are web pages that are useful too: look for content from Darwin Grosse, Brian Cowell, Daniel Fisher (tips on Sweetwater's pages), me, etc...

Otherwise, I know these synths quite well (actually, I know some things that most people don't even begin to suspect for more than two decades on some versions of the K25xx, K26xx synths as well), so let me know what your goals are and what you're looking for in more details or generally, if you have a question, just ask.

Enjoy the ride!
YashN

Postby YashN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:12 am

The manuals are some of the best ever written for any synthesizer. They are super useful and informative.

Sometimes you also need to think deeper about what they're telling you, and definitely, experimentation is key, as they will also tell you in some sections in the manual.
YashN

Postby zenguitar » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 am

Welcome to the SOS forums YashN.

At some point in the next few months I will also be dipping my toe into VAST. So I look forward to learning from your experience.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 am

For 'VAST', read 'synthesis'. There's nothing in there that's startlingly new - there's just a lot of it, and a lot of flexibility. The true beauty of it is setting values in Hz and dB, rather than the mind-numbing 1-100 of lesser synths!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Welcome, YashN! Thanks for the tips!

@zenguitar, looks like it’s a race to the bottom lol
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 am

There are quite a few of us round these parts who have Kurzweils so if you get stuck then shout.

There used to be a forum called Mastering Vast. I think it still exists but I never dipped my toe in. It still shows up in google.

There is also Ksetlist which is a successor to another forum which died off. It's a more general Kurz owners forum and has a great patch archive where people share patches for old songs (some are good, some are ... enthusiastic).

There are youtube vids to watch for various things. One of the regulars on Ksetlist is PoserP who does good tutorials for stuff. I'm not sure if he covers the very basic bits, but he does go over some great things tucked away.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks, Dave, I shall check all those out!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby YashN » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:52 pm

zenguitar wrote:Welcome to the SOS forums YashN.

At some point in the next few months I will also be dipping my toe into VAST. So I look forward to learning from your experience.

Thanks Andy.

I have an inkling you will love this platform!

Meant to write back earlier, but been very, very sick so have to choose my online time wisely. Getting better though.

Yash
YashN

Postby zenguitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Sorry to hear you've been unwell. Take good care of yourself and get well again soon.

zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby N i g e l » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 pm

+1 :thumbup: get well soon

Dave B wrote:There are quite a few of us round these parts who have Kurzweils so if you get stuck then shout.

There used to be a forum called Mastering Vast. I think it still exists but I never dipped my toe in. It still shows up in google....... youtube vids to watch for various things.

+1 :thumbup: for the Kurzweil community but you need to register

https://kurzweil.com/community/

+1 :thumbup: for Youtube tutorials. Those & the online info were invaluable.

I have a later series model than the K2000 but looks about the same size display, A PC editor might come in handy if one is available.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 am

Emagic Sound Diver is an editor for lots of midi synthesizers, you might be able to get hold of it plus an XS key (dongle).
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 am

YashN wrote:Meant to write back earlier, but been very, very sick so have to choose my online time wisely. Getting better though.

Hi Yash, and welcome to the SOS Forums from me as well 8-)

Sorry to hear that you've been sick, but glad that you're getting better.

If you're the YashN I think you are, I've also been recently devouring your 2015 experiments discussed in the AudiophileStyle forum, on how mains quality affects audio performance. It's a mine of useful information, as I've recently upgraded my own mains distribution! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker