You are here

Koma attenuator cables.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Koma attenuator cables.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:34 am

If any of you modular folks haven’t noticed these extremely useful leads before, here they are...

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=koma-attenuator-cable

I’ve got a very small system, and anything that saves module space is very welcome, I only just found out about them, and they’ve saved me from having to buy an attenuator module.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Koma attenuator cables.

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm

I have a few and they are VERY imprecise/unpredictable. I ended up buying two Doepfer A-183-3 amplifiers: Cheap as chips and they can amplify or attenuate CV.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I have a few and they are VERY imprecise/unpredictable. I ended up buying two Doepfer A-183-3 amplifiers: Cheap as chips and they can amplify or attenuate CV.

Thanks for the tip, I was going to get a 2hp Trim, I haven’t got room for the Doepfer Dual's.
Maths can attenuate, but I’m realising fast that you can use up valuable stuff on Maths that you may want to use elsewhere, that’s it’s problem, and ironically, it ends up becoming really limited.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 pm

It’s worth a shot, I just found the Koma cables to not be what I was looking for. VCA with an input attenuator will also do the trick, but that’s probably overkill.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:It’s worth a shot, I just found the Koma cables to not be what I was looking for. VCA with an input attenuator will also do the trick, but that’s probably overkill.

Are they that coarse? I just want to use them as attenuators from my LFO's into my Jupiter Storm.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:09 pm

They are not made to be used performatively, and the tolerance is pretty high on them, so it’s not a smooth travel compared to an attenuator module with a trim pot. YMMV, and I think I paid ~$7 for mine, so it was worth the experiment.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:They are not made to be used performatively, and the tolerance is pretty high on them, so it’s not a smooth travel compared to an attenuator module with a trim pot. YMMV, and I think I paid ~$7 for mine, so it was worth the experiment.

I'll just buy one and give it a go, all right as a "set and forget" I guess, but not for continuous adjustment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster