You are here

adding a virtual instrument to my Korg PA500

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

adding a virtual instrument to my Korg PA500

Postby All Thumbs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 pm

I play a PA600, but I'd like to add my older PA500 as an upper manual, but with a new B3 organ and/or a Rhodes keyboard sound. (I still have 2 home theater organs, an Eminent 2000, and a Hammond EX2000 with midi, so I'm okay with keyboards stacked)
I understand that VST plug-ins are the way to go, but I have no real understanding of this method, and I'd love to learn. Are there books, magazine articles etc that could educate me.
I have only a vague understanding of midi, (I use a laptop & Mobilesheets via a Roland UM ONE to midi link the PA600's songbook to my digital music display)
My existing organs have poor sound due to their age (over 45 years for the Eminent) but I have heard several on-line demos of the virtual B3 and Rhodes, and it would seem to be a method of resurrecting the older keyboard. I tried to add other voices to the Korg PA500, but I was unimpressed with the results. I'd appreciate any help to understanding how to use this method to upgrade the keyboard.
Thanks
All Thumbs

Re: adding a virtual instrument to my Korg PA500

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 am

VST Instruments run in a computer desktop or laptop - they don't really 'upgrade your keyboard'. They are separate instruments, simply MIDI-ed to play from the key-presses of your existing keyboard.

If you're OK with this then all you need to is choose a VST host to hold any VSTs you need, add an audio interface (with MIDI) to get MIDI in and audio out of the computer, and you're set to go.

Does this match what you want to do?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby All Thumbs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Yes, I'd like to understand how to assemble the software, and what the choices are re the host. I use a windows 7 laptop, but if an old ipad can perform the job, I'll get a used one. My Son used an elderly Roland hardware synth, plugged into his Fantom. He is suggesting that a hardware option might be better.
I have no idea what I'd use a DAW for. My abilities and interests are in assembling styles and performances into songs for the Korg songbook library, but adding different instruments or arrangements.
I appreciate your assistance,

David
All Thumbs

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm

You might consider getting a module like the Roland Integra 7. I bought mine used for around $1000 US and sold it a couple years later for the same. Great sounding, but I’ve moved entirely to MPE capable equipment because I play a LinnStrument.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm

It does sound as if you may be better looking at a hardware module. I think you would find it easier, judging by what you're saying. And yes, the Roland Integra 7 is a great piece of kit. I'd also suggest anything in the Roland JV/XV line, depending on your budget.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.