You are here

MOOG SUBHARMONICON -- in the house!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MOOG SUBHARMONICON -- in the house!

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Well, just as I was deciding that I wasn't going to get the Solar 50, Control got in a new order of Subharmonicons.

I have plugged it in and verified that it works. As usual, all of the components have a really nice feel to them. Getting something usable out of this thing is another matter! It's really complex! This is going to take practice to come to grips with. Sounds great, though!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: MOOG SUBHARMONICON -- in the house!

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:30 am

:bouncy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 am

The Subharmonicon in its new home:

My first stab at trying to make music with it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jyPPKb ... sp=sharing
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The Subharmonicon in its new home:

My first stab at trying to make music with it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jyPPKb ... sp=sharing

I looked at it Ben, it’s er........a bit confusing! :D :D :D
But as they say, you only get out what you put in, and it sounds like you’re making headway already.

:thumbup:

PS, I’ve put my modular on a little shelf behind my Moog Grand Mother, and it’s a revelation, I’ve instantly gained a whole load of amazing modules! plus, I won’t have to waste valuable rack space on utilities!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Great idea!

I'm in the process of really exploring the unit today. I'm not going to lie, it's got a lot going on.

However, I can see why it's called an inspiration machine; it's constantly generating new avenues of exploration with every tweak of the dials!

Will have a new jam later today, this time using a good chunk of the modular all at once! It's the beginning of new piece of music, perhaps ... though I'm tempted reset the dials and start fresh once it's done, this machine is positively addicting!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ian Shaw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Just added a DFAM to my Subharmonicon, although I haven't linked them up yet. Definitely addictive this modular thing. Easy for me to get lost but always come up with something interesting.

Anyone know why MIDI clock is so hard for most software. Logic can't seem to do it. NI Maschine hardware is miles off. Only Bitwig seems to be able to send my Sub a reliable clock signal.

Have fun with the Sub

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Ian, I use the Erica Synths MIDI <->CLK for converting MIDI clock to analog, I find it works much better than using MIDI sync for modular.

Here is my first jam using the Subharmonicon. Not amazing, but some fun concepts here that I will continue to explore! I especially like how the delay into the reverb created this phantom melody line behind everything else. Eerie and very cool!

Modules used:

Moog Subharmonicon
Make Noise Dynamix
Make Noise Function
Dins Sync Amnesia
Erica Synths Pico Sequential Switch
Make Noise Rosie
Moog Mother-32
Intellijel Quadra
Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4
ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's Workout
Steady State Fate Modbox
Doepfer A183-3
Tiptop Audio BD808
Tiptop Audio SD808
Erica Synths Pico Drums
Studio Electronics Oscillation
Doepfer A-106-5
Intellijel Quad VCA
WORNG Sound Stage
WORNG LRMSMSLR
strymon AA.1
XOR Electronics NerdSeq
Dreadbox Eudemonia
Studio Electronics Quadnic
BOSS RV-500

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... icon-jam-1

The patch looks like this:

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Ian Shaw wrote:Just added a DFAM to my Subharmonicon, although I haven't linked them up yet. Definitely addictive this modular thing. Easy for me to get lost but always come up with something interesting.
I've not had any interest in the DFAM, though I do love the way it sounds. I may get one yet, but probably not before I get a second Subharmonicon.

Have fun with the Sub

Ian
I shall, thanks!!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Would love to see how you create stuff like this, it's really a closed book to me.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 pm

This came together pretty quick, it was mostly a proof of concept for me!

If I had to break it down into it's basic steps it would be:

1. Tuned the oscillators
2. Set the Quadnic so that it made a super saw (all of the oscillators were set for sawtooth waves and doubled, that gave me 8 sawtooth waves) to make the drone. I put that into a low pass filter so I could animate the drone
3. With the Subharmonicon I wrote the first sequencer melody. I then brought up each of the sub oscillators to make chords. Then I brought up the second oscillator and tuned those to the first set going one step at a time, and checking all of the sequencer steps against each other to make sure there weren't any super dissonant chords
4. I wrote the sequences for the Boomstar and Mother-32 to compliment the Subharmonicon
5. I used Euclidean Circles for the percussion sounds

For the sound design aspect, the only really tricky part was getting the drone pad to sound wide and have a stereo spread. I achieved that by multing the output of the drone filter and running one copy through a function generator to delay the signal a touch. That caused enough phase difference between them for the mid-side processor to send both of them to the reverb.

That's basically it, it's not rocket science by any stretch, just painstakingly going over each step and failing often, or at least trying to fail forward!!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:14 pm

I understand all the words but... ;)

Seriously though, after several years of reading SOS i do almost understand it. :)
Still wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself mind. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:29 pm

blinddrew wrote:I understand all the words but... ;)

Seriously though, after several years of reading SOS i do almost understand it. :)
Still wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself mind. :)
LOL

I was the same way a few years ago. I'm very new to this synth lark!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster