You are here

Cv routing

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Cv routing

Postby akaspeedy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi, I’m about to add a Behringer td3, rd8 and beatstep pro to my setup. Have a Behringer neutron, dumbrute impact and a Kong monologue already and want to be able to sync them all up using the cv ins and outs so they all start at the same time. Is it just a case of using, say, the rd8 as the master timing or the beatstep pro and just daisy chaining the ins outs?

Only ever used usb to sync the kit I already have, but I get an immense drag on the monologue timing and it gets thrown out of sync by half a bar or more sometimes....

Also looking to get away from staring at the computer screen, hence why I’m asking the question. Also adding the Behringer ad8200 for extra inputs on the 2x6se until I can afford the 16x16 module.

Cheers
akaspeedy
Poster

Re: Cv routing

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 pm

I would use the BSP as the hub for clocking. If you have multiple MIDI devices, use a Thru box like the Quadra Through. If you have more than one device that needs analogue clock, use a buffered mult or one of the trigger outs sending a steady pulse.

If you also need to sync to your DAW, I use the mio USB to MIDI, set the BSP to get clock from the DAW and then distribute it to my other devices.

You may also want to consider the KeyStep Pro, it uses polyphonic sequencer tracks vs the BSP’s mono tracks.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby akaspeedy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 pm

No idea if any needs an analogue clock, I’m new to trying this and was going to slave the daw to the device that has the most stable timing, with all the rest all using the cv ins/out for the timing and just the one usb to the daw for recording and chucking on effects
akaspeedy
Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm

akaspeedy wrote:Hi, I’m about to add a Behringer td3, rd8 and beatstep pro to my setup. Have a Behringer neutron, dumbrute impact and a Kong monologue already and want to be able to sync them all up using the cv ins and outs

akaspeedy wrote:No idea if any needs an analogue clock
Not sure I follow, you just said two totally different things here. :think:

I’m new to trying this and was going to slave the daw to the device that has the most stable timing
Slaving your DAW to an outboard device is one of the more difficult things you can do. Your DAW will, by far, have the most stable clock.

Once again, sorry, but I'm really not sure what you're trying to achieve here.

You say you want to get away from the computer screen but you still want to use your DAW? You can use the BSP as your primary clock and then just slave it to your DAW when you record, as stated above. This way you don't need to even turn your computer on until you're ready to record. Not sure what doing it the other way round will achieve...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby akaspeedy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 pm

Sorry, I didn’t realise that using cv was midi.....cv is the little mono jacks or am I completely wrong here......I want all the devices synced using the cv ins and outs no midi involved apart from just use one usb midi connection to slave the timing to the daw for recording and adding an effect or two, but will be mainly using the synths, drum machines and as minimal daw use as possible, if at all apart from recording. It was you that mentioned using a midi usb hub and asked the question if I have more than one device that needs a clock...already said I’ve no idea....I will be using the cv connections to all devices just to send a pulse for the timing. Like I said I’m new to this cv lark and you’ve confused it even more saying I’ve said two different things when I never mentioned a clock :headbang:
akaspeedy
Poster

Postby akaspeedy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Forget the daw, I just want all the kit used with the cv ins and outs......
akaspeedy
Poster

Postby akaspeedy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:21 pm

Just want to add that a YouTuber said he had more stable timing when using rd8 as master and ableton as the slave as someone said there was drift with the rest of the kit
akaspeedy
Poster