You are here

The Novation/ Aphex tease

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

The Novation/ Aphex tease

Postby Rwkitch » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Is as many guessed an AFX Station:

https://novationmusic.com/en/synths/afx-station

"Designed in collaboration with electronic music legend Richard D James aka Aphex Twin, AFX Station is a limited edition of Bass Station II. A sound designer’s dream, AFX Station has the same powerful feature set as Bass Station II, with the addition of AFX Mode pre-installed, which revolutionises the way the monosynth can be played and programmed.

"Perfect for sequencing and arpeggiation, every key on the instrument can become a new patch, making it a powerful analogue drum machine, a flexible sound design tool, or a killer bass or lead module. With striking purple reveals and the famous ‘A’ insignia, it’s an instant collector’s item.

"AFX Station ships with 128 new synth patches and seven new overlay banks from Noyze Lab, Perplex On, Richard Devine, r beny and Lightbath, which channel the creative vision of Aphex Twin and provides you with lots of sound design inspiration."
Rwkitch
Poster

Re: The Novation/ Aphex tease

Postby BillB » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 pm

Well, have to say I am fairly happy to be a BassStation II user with a synth whose knob markers I can actually read. Black on grey or grey on black has never been a great design solution.

Didn't the Beatles said "Got to be good-looking cos he's so hard to see..." or was it she? Anyway.

No mention on the website but hopefully the Artist patches will be downloadable to BSII.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby shurikt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:11 pm

BillB wrote:No mention on the website but hopefully the Artist patches will be downloadable to BSII.

They're already there: https://components.novationmusic.com/bass-station-ii/patches

On one hand, I liked keeping that little BS2 secret to myself. AFX mode is *fun*. On the other, Imagine if every synth manufacturer continued to add new, interesting functionality to 7 year-old machines. If this encourages that behavior, I'm all for it.
shurikt
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Looks a nice enough, basic synth. I'll be interested to see the reviews.

I don't know why Novation feel the need to draft in silly 'name' endorsements to prop it up, but I can forgive it that.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:35 pm

+1, any new synth by Novation deserves to be taken seriously...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby shurikt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Original SOS Review: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-bass-station-2

"AFX Mode" (a feature request/design made by Richard D. James) was included in a firmware update last April, which allows each key on the keyboard to play a different patch. So it's a little more of a connection than silkscreening "Keith Emerson" or whatever on the panel.

Since its release, Novation have done a really decent job of adding features, a paraphonic mode, microtuning... Lots of fun for a $450 monosynth.
shurikt
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Maybe they should have called it the 'Not a new idea, because Elektron Analog Keys already does it'. model... :lol: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby shurikt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm

The Elf wrote:Elektron Analog Keys already does it'

For $450? :headbang:
shurikt
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 pm

It's a fair price, just not a new idea.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm

I've never tried a bass station 2 but this has all stoked my interest. So the advertising has worked on at least one person (and quite a few others seeing as the presale is sold out)
al_diablo
Regular

Postby BillB » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:31 pm

Just to be clear - AFX Station is a BSII with slightly darker styling and with the latest firmware and patches installed. I am not knocking Novation at all, they have invested in and upgraded the BSII since release. If some refreshed branding and marketing can generate new markets or customers, good luck to them.

But if I were looking at a BSII or AFX Station purchase right now, I would be looking very closely at whether the dark paint job is a victory of style over functionality - especially if the intended target market is (dark) EDM clubs. If I am going for a knobby synth (and this may be a function of my age) I like the settings to be as easy to read as possible.

:geek:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am

Does nothing new or interesting, does nothing any of my current keyboard synths can’t do.
Can’t see the point, this market is already well covered.
Sorry, I’ve got Novation stuff, love them, but I can’t see that this was a necessary move.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:27 am

Arpangel wrote:Does nothing new or interesting, does nothing any of my current keyboard synths can’t do.
It's a rare synth that does parameter locking per key. It's a feature of some Elektron gear (my Analog Keys has it) - and now this synth - but I'm not aware of anything else that does it?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Does nothing new or interesting, does nothing any of my current keyboard synths can’t do.
It's a rare synth that does parameter locking per key. It's a feature of some Elektron gear (my Analog Keys has it) - and now this synth - but I'm not aware of anything else that does it?

Could be great for some folks, but not useful to me, in that synth engine/architecture.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby robert454 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Being an owner of Elektron gear and updated my BS2 with AFX mode, I can tell you it's not the same as anything else I've tried, nothing else like it, Elektron is similar but the AFX mode is much more immediate and flexible, Elektron is a pita to setup.
Don't knock it til you've tried it, it's free if you already have a bs2 and I just found out today there are some VERY good features that have just been added for it in their components software, they don't mention it in the release blurb, I want 2 !
robert454