You are here

My rack, is full.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: My rack, is full.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:32 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:there’s lots been written about the "Krell Patch" by Todd Barton, check him out.

Awesome patch. I would never have known it was automatic if I hadnt seen it.
Its a whole different world of synthesis, names and graphics too.

Yes it is, took me awhile to get my head around the lingo, Todd Barton is an interesting guy, he’s done some amazing things with his Buchla Music Easel.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:31 am

My rack is full, it’s completely full, no more room, so what do I do now?
This is boring, now more choosing modules, or Modular Grid, I suppose I’d better make some music?

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:43 am

That's what I love about this forum, a title like that and absolutely no sexist innuendo.

... oops!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:33 pm

shufflebeat wrote:That's what I love about this forum, a title like that and absolutely no sexist innuendo.

... oops!

That’s because we’re all.........1 past it, 2 not interested, or 3 just decent chaps.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:My rack is full, it’s completely full, no more room, so what do I do now?
This is boring, now more choosing modules, or Modular Grid, I suppose I’d better make some music?

You’ll ascend to one of the elite, actually making music on your modular lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:That's what I love about this forum, a title like that and absolutely no sexist innuendo.

... oops!

That’s because we’re all.........1 past it, 2 not interested, or 3 just decent chaps.

Speak for yourself! Although in these days of gender ambiguity :crazy: there could be more amusing meanings than I can guess at. It’s hard to keep up with it all. (No sex implied, or was there?)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:39 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:It’s hard to keep up with it all. (No sex implied, or was there?)

I think you're safe as long as you didn't mean 'sex in plaid' :bouncy:

kilt.jpg

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:27 am

Martin Walker wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:It’s hard to keep up with it all. (No sex implied, or was there?)

I think you're safe as long as you didn't mean 'sex in plaid' :bouncy:

kilt.jpg

Martin

Martin, please, I’m in the middle of eating my breakfast.

:( :( :(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 am

Gentlemen!

This is "Keyboards & Synthesis"!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:06 pm

But that’s the keyboard player from the Death Kilt Metal band . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Gentlemen!

This is "Keyboards & Synthesis"!

It’s a Midi kilt, with a voltage controlled sporran, I did a quick internet search, and it said that in Men In Kilts Monthly.
So Martin is OK to post about it here.

:-| :)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Actually, it's not a kilt. He's just wearing his plaid cape incorrectly.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:28 pm

I suspect he's one of those Tartan Vicars we hear so much about hosting a party in his Summer vestments.

I expect he's an experienced organ player to boot so comes well within the bounds of regulations.

[Exit stage left].
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 am

Back on topic, my little modular is about right, and I’ve been thinking about modular as a judge of personality, I immediately jump to conclusions, when I see people’s studios, and modular seems to concentrate my judgements even further than normal.
I'm immediately suspicious of people who have wall sized modular set-ups, it immediately makes me think "no, this is all about the gear, not the music" there is no way on gods earth you actually "need" all that, plus, there’s absolutely no way you could even begin to exploit one 1,000,000th of the potential of that system.
Small is beautiful, small studios, I like small, eclectic bits and pieces, the advantages are...
You can work very quickly, it’s simple to understand, you can easily recognise the strengths and weaknesses of what you have and use accordingly, most importantly, it’s highly unlikely that anyone else will have the same system as you, and therefore, you won’t be using the same sounds, or working methods, which all adds to the possibility of creating something original.
Of course, this theory isn’t always correct, and some of my heroes had massive studios, but that was a long time ago and equipment was huge anyway, it was a combination of what was available, and the talent of individuals who had to adapt it to make it do what they wanted it to do, the result of that was very original and unique music. Vangelis studio is a great example of this, Kraftwerk's Kling Klang studio, customising things to make their own sounds.
Nowadays we have boxes we can buy in the shops, that make certain types of music at the touch of a button, and these things are hard to hack into, hence the rise of certain people who want to be like my heroes of the past, pioneers like Look Mum No Computer, Hainbach, and lots of others beavering away in their studios, trying to make something new.
Instruments are very much like people, they either connect with us, or they don’t, everything in my studio connected with me at some point, and to take away just one piece would leave a big hole, it’s all there for a definite reason, and my little modular is part of my musical pallet now, I can see everything about it, at a glance, my computer is exactly the opposite, and gets used less and less these days, the final decision will be "do I need it at all" I don’t think so, but it will still be used for my acoustic music, and editing, but due to COVID, that’s not happening, so time will tell how my studios shape up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Well I find myself totally agreeing with you there Tony.

I don't have a lot of gear, but what I do have gets either modified, enhanced, or simply has some signature sounds created for it, so everything in my tiny studio can produce at least some sounds that are unique to me ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

PreviousNext