You are here

My rack, is full.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: My rack, is full.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Martin Walker wrote:...everything in my tiny studio can produce at least some sounds that are unique to me ;)

Mrs R tells me that I make a range of sounds unique to me, too... :oops: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:07 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:...everything in my tiny studio can produce at least some sounds that are unique to me ;)

Mrs R tells me that I make a range of sounds unique to me, too... :oops: :lol:

That’s an issue with modular, shrugging off the image of them as fart machines.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:25 am

PS, recorded an interesting track yesterday, using the modular/Grandmother combo, very dark, in fact, even by my standards it’s disturbing, I’ll post it on Self Promotion ASAP.
It’s a reflection of the times I’m/we're going through.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:36 pm

To spend all that money and patching time - they had better do stupendous farts!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:25 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:To spend all that money and patching time - they had better do stupendous farts!

The challenge is not to spend much money, or patching time, the real challenge is to digest and create, not the other way around.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

My rack overfloweth...

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:16 am

I had a mere 8hp to fill to complete my rack. I'd found something perfect but the shop was off-line due to an ice storm. And when I checked today the shop was back on-line.

So far, so good. But in that shop I found the Eurorack mixer I'd been looking for but had only found potential compromises for.

Oh well, I ordered them both. :angel: :headbang:

And now I've just ordered a 6U 104hp rack to accommodate the overflow, and a couple of extra modules to start filling the remaining unused hp's.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: My rack overfloweth...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:08 am

zenguitar wrote:I had a mere 8hp to fill to complete my rack. I'd found something perfect but the shop was off-line due to an ice storm. And when I checked today the shop was back on-line.

So far, so good. But in that shop I found the Eurorack mixer I'd been looking for but had only found potential compromises for.

And now I've just ordered a 6U 104hp rack to accommodate the overflow, and a couple of extra modules to start filling the remaining unused hp's.

Be careful... :!:

I must admit, I may be "forced" to expand my set-up :)
My partner loves Theremins, and I’ve said that I’ll build her one, out of Eurorack, so it only makes sense to get a bigger rack, I can use the extra space to buy a few extra modules for yours truly. It’ll be cheaper than buying her the Clara Rockmore special Moog are making.
I need two Doepfer Theremin modules, a VCA, and a sine wave oscillator, on which I’m not decided yet.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:24 pm

Why don't you get her a Theremini?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Re: My rack overfloweth...

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:55 pm

zenguitar wrote:I had a mere 8hp to fill to complete my rack. I'd found something perfect but the shop was off-line due to an ice storm. And when I checked today the shop was back on-line.

I have found that a small 60 or 84hp skiff is great for handling overflow. The largest expense is powering it ...
Which mixer did you get? I’m using the WORNG Sound Stage, and love it.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Next time I promise I will buy a small overflow skiff :mrgreen:

Here's the mixer...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-infusor-x

zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Oh, that’s beautiful! I have a couple of Intellijel Mixups that I use for submixing prior to the Sound Stage because it doesn’t allow balancing of levels... though I’ve recently discovered that attenuating the CV input of my Quad VCA acts like a level control!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:17 am

Stratman57 wrote:Why don't you get her a Theremini?

Regards, Simon.

I thought about it, but it’s not very attractive, looks a bit plasticky, the Etherwave is cool though.
The Theremin is a very visual instrument, the whole package, seeing Clara Rockmore with her large valve Theremin, and those amazing triangular speakers, dressed the way she did, it’s a complete magical experience. A little white plastic box would invite a few smirks, I’m sure, especially when you’re learning, like playing a little plastic violin.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am

You could always get an exotic hardwood custom made box to put it in, with holes for the controls, outputs and antennae. :D

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I bet there is a steampunk fella here who could build you the most amazing looking one off. One that Clara would be envious of.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I bet there is a steampunk fella here who could build you the most amazing looking one off. One that Clara would be envious of.

Yes there is, a guy called Ron Arad, he designed the Rover Chair, I commissioned him to build us a platform bed, in the 80’s, it was truly beyond, just beyond, he had a shop in Neal Street in London, that was beyond too.
He collaborated with a synthesiser guy, they could turn your whole apartment into a sound generator.
I tried to ring him, but he’s not about right now, big shame, he’d be perfect for the job.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext