You are here

One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back!

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:31 am

IAA wrote:Desmond did brilliantly in getting those 8, I only got a few of the more obvious ones in my first response, but rising to Desmond’s challenge here is my take on the ones he didn’t get...

Track 1 - D50 or similar?
Track 2 - DSI ob6?
Track 7 - Moog sub harmonicon?
Track 8 - Behringer clone odyssey?
Track 10 - yoshimi?
Track 12 - matrix brute
Track 14 - Waldorf Blofeld or largo?

Desmond got all the right synths, but not necessarily in the right order. (Dave published the list.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:02 pm

B, I think that this was his 'first stab' - and a brave man he is for publishing it. ditto desmond

Shall I do the big reveal this afternoon?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby John Stafford » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Track 1 sounds CS80ish to me.
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:13 pm

I think 'reveal' time should certainly be imminent :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby John Stafford » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:10 pm

I'm very curious about Track 12. The opening has a wonderfully "liquid" analogue quality but the rest has a kind of grainy texture that I associate with Prophets. Could that be the Prophet 6?

OTOH the U-He synths have lots of analogue smoothness as well. :crazy:
John Stafford
Regular

Postby IAA » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Desmond got all the right synths, but not necessarily in the right order. (Dave published the list.)

DOH! :headbang: missed that in my exuberance
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:32 pm

John Stafford wrote:I'm very curious about Track 12. The opening has a wonderfully "liquid" analogue quality but the rest has a kind of grainy texture that I associate with Prophets. Could that be the Prophet 6?

It very well could be, and indeed is :thumbup: :clap:

Prophet-6.JPG

I'm a huge fan of the analogue distortion on the Prophet-6 and used it quite a lot but it doesn't become evident until a little ways into the piece, which might explain some of the texture you're hearing.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Ok more go then:

Track 1 - Arturia CS80v2
Track 2 - KV331 'Synthmaster'
Track 7 - Yoshimi
Track 8 - Argon
Track 12 - Prophet 6
Track 14 - UVI Falcon

Edit: Oh, saw Eddy's message above after posting... another tick, then!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 pm

OK peeps - time for the results. Read 'em and weep....

• The Filter Strikes Back by Folderol -Yoshimi
  • Caked byfruitcake - UVI Falcon
  • Castille by BJG145 - u-he Bazille
  • Creepy by MarkyC - Prophet 8 Rev 2
  • LITAKS by Resistorman -Hydrasynth
  • American Requiem by RichardT - Kontakt/Pharlight
  • Sunrise to Sunrise by RichardT - KV331 'Synthmaster'
  • Nobel by Rich Hanson - Argon 8x
  • Opus Something by Rich Hanson - VC340
  • The Confusingly Titled Track 9 That Begins as a Quirky Little Off-Kilter Retro Night Chase Sequence and Resolves to a Fleeting Moment of Beauty and Transcendence As The Sun Comes Up And We Realise We Made It Out Alive by desmond Repro 5
  • Orgasmic by DaveB - Hammond (SK2)
  • Nightcap by Eddy Deegan -Prophet 6
  • Kicking Back The Years by IAA - K1v
  • SpyTheme by RandomGuitarist - Arturia CS80v2

Many thanks to all who took part - hope you all had some fun :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 pm

Well done folks! :clap:

So the Hammond is a synthesizer, now, eh Dave..? :)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Wow, awesome...

1) The Filter Strikes Back - great work Folderol! I thought this sounded really nice.

2) Caked...I remembered that Fruitcake worked his synths pretty hard to get some interesting new voices out of them and this is no exception. It's...well, it's slightly crazy TBH. I'm listening to it again and visualising a stoned orchestra with a circuit-bent Wurlizter in the centre.

3) I enjoyed tinkering around with Bazille; I found some patch that played in thirds or something and twisted it into this simple riff.

4) Another left-field entry by MarkyC. I'll stand by my original comment..."It's pretty nuts. I like it." Some lovely chunky analogue sounds in here from that Prophet 08.

5) This is a fun funky thing by Resistorman. Interested to hear what the famous Hydrasynth sounds like, and I love that distorted wah-wah lead patch.

6) American Requiem...monster track. A lot of work and imagination went into this. Love those grinding discordant oriental cymbal sounds at the start.

7) Sunrise to Sunrise - hard on the heels of American Requiem, another classy piece by RichardT. Takes me back to the hours trying to learn Bach's Prelude in C when I was 15 or something.

8) Nobel Something by Rich Hanson - Argon 8x. Gotta love the sound of this excellent synth...

9) ...and Rich's other entry, "Opus Something". The fact that Dave was able to put the double entries by Rich and RichardT back to back without anyone noticing is testament to their originality.

10) The Confusingly Titled Track by Desmond. Yay, I got one right! The production quality was a giveaway. Great track.

11) Orgasmic by DaveB, rocking that Hammond! Headbanging stuff.

12) Nightcap by Eddy. As Martin says, all this needs is a few yards of gold lamé! Nice one.

13) IAA's Kicking Back The Years could be a ROM demo track for the Kawai K1, if it wasn't quite so good.

14) Spy Theme by RandomGuitarist. Great finish to the collection, I'm loving that mystery Morse message.

Well done all! And a big thanks to Dave for organising. Enjoyed revisiting these again...I think it's been my favourite OSC Playlist. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Dave B wrote:
[*]The Confusingly Titled Track 9 That Begins as a Quirky Little Off-Kilter Retro Night Chase Sequence and Resolves to a Fleeting Moment of Beauty and Transcendence As The Sun Comes Up And We Realise We Made It Out Alive by desmond Repro 5

D

Love that title, almost Victorian!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:54 pm

RichardT wrote:Love that title, almost Victorian!

I was hoping that Dave wouldn't *actually* put it as Track 9, and he delivered admirably. :lol:
(Especially as at first, there was the "missing" track 7, which then jumbled up the track numbers and names even more!)

Mine was a bit quiet though, should have been a bit less restrained on the levels, but nevermind...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:40 pm

:thumbup: big thanks to Dave for organising :thumbup:

That was fun guessing the synths and surprisingly difficult even when it went to the multiple choice from a list. Great tracks too, well done the musicians :clap: :clap: :clap:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Well done, everyone! Thanks, this has been great fun :bouncy:

There were a couple of questions brought up about my track...

I used my LinnStrument 128 to play everything... it's the Hydrasynth tabletop version so no ribbon or Continuum for the leads :)

The wah lead sound is dead simple. It's just a saw wave going into a 12db Ladder Filter with high resonance. Hydrasynth has a drive control in the filter section, but there's an option to set it post filter which drives the amp section into distortion, especially with high filter resonance! I set my expression pedal to a comfortable and "guitarish" filter frequency range in the matrix and added (much needed!) hard limiting after the amp section. Garnish with delay ;)

I played everything live into Samplitude, but I looped the main bass part. I mixed with no EQ except for Gullfoss on the master bus. No compression either, come to think of it.

This is the first Chip tunish song I ever tried. It just happened... I started out with a cheesy drum pattern from the Sugar Bytes Drum Computer iOS app and added sounds and parts that made some sense in that context. I wouldn't say that it's representative of the Hydrasynth "sound" but it shows its plasticity and ease of programming.

I'd be very interested in hearing "how the sausage was made" comments about your tracks!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext