You are here

One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back!

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:13 pm

There's about 10 days to go for people who want to get in on this.

If you haven't started yet, you'll want to get right on that this week! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby resistorman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 pm

I’m actually gonna make it this time!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:44 am

desmond wrote:There's about 10 days to go for people who want to get in on this.

If you haven't started yet, you'll want to get right on that this week! :headbang:

I threw mine away and I'm restarting - the idea was simply too ambitious. However, I will get a track submitted in time for certain.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Dave B » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 pm

For the record, we are up to 7 submissions so far and a couple of people have submitted 2 tracks. Obviously the lockdown is hanging heavy for some. All great stuff and shames my efforts, so I may ditch mine and start again as well.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 pm

I found the synth i had put away years ago, blew the dust off it and brought it home. If it turns on I will have one less reason not to work on a track!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I threw mine away and I'm restarting - the idea was simply too ambitious.

Stuff and stonsense. For you, Eddy, that's not a thing. ;)

(I hope you'll include this abandoned mess in the outtakes section.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 am

I've made a start but had to postpone working on the track for various work and childcare reasons! But will definitely get something finished on Thursday, even if it's not what I originally planned to submit.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 am

If y'all were as creative with your synths as you were with your excuses, you'd be famous by now...

:beamup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Is there a minimum length requirement?

I had an idea for something , but it's a small idea and I don't know when the next idea will be along.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:41 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:Is there a minimum length requirement?

I had an idea for something , but it's a small idea and I don't know when the next idea will be along.

You can't develop it into a slightly longer form?
How about repeating the idea twice, or inserting a different idea between two copies of the first idea! ;)

There's no length obligations in the guidelines, so I don't think anyone cares. Maybe if it's, like, 3 seconds long, it might be dissapointing but I don't think anyone's expecting an album here either... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:45 pm

At the moment I can't seem to stretch the idea out. It's pretty simplistic, but seems fully formed. I could loop it and put some freestyle nose flute over the top, but nobody would want that, not even 3 seconds of it.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Only if the nose flute came from the same synth... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 am

I really wanted to take part in this one but once again I find myself in the same boat as Random Guitarist.

I have sat down several times over the last month and I have 5 ideas, all different from each other. I just don't know how to extrapolate them into full songs. F***ing 4-bar-loop syndrome!

When I played in a band I used to come up with ideas all the time and the different band members would chip in and guide them into something useful and we'd make some great progressive music. I have just never been able to work on my own. I don't know if I'm being too critical or what. I do know that I have to practise finishing 'songs' to get good it and along the way there'll be a lot of shite, but at least it's practising the art of finishing a number! I am totally frustrated! :madas:

Grrrrr!
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 am

Dan LB wrote:I really wanted to take part in this one but once again I find myself in the same boat as Random Guitarist.

I have sat down several times over the last month and I have 5 ideas, all different from each other. I just don't know how to extrapolate them into full songs. F***ing 4-bar-loop syndrome!

When I played in a band I used to come up with ideas all the time and the different band members would chip in and guide them into something useful and we'd make some great progressive music. I have just never been able to work on my own. I don't know if I'm being too critical or what. I do know that I have to practise finishing 'songs' to get good it and along the way there'll be a lot of shite, but at least it's practising the art of finishing a number! I am totally frustrated! :madas:

Grrrrr!
I understand completely. I’m at my best in a team with a project and a deadline. It’s hard to even start a song on my own, especially now.

I wasn’t getting anywhere either, and I finally recorded 3 minutes of a placeholder drum track and just started playing whatever came to mind with the first sound that I found amusing. No midi, not worrying if the part was any good. I kept at it and wound up with a lot of different parts and sounds and took the weedwacker to it and developed some ideas further. I came up with something. It’s not great art but I had fun, which is the whole point of making music for me. I forget that sometimes.

The point is, don’t think about it too much, just start throwing things down. If you have one part, record it with different sounds and string them together. Take it up or down an octave. Play it again at half or double the tempo. Run it through distortion. Reverse it. It’s yours... you can do anything you want to it. Above all don’t worry if it’s good or not.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:46 pm

I don't think we've had a collaboration on the OSC yet have we?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext