You are here

MIDI Clock out from Studio One to Mother 32 - they're not talking!!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MIDI Clock out from Studio One to Mother 32 - they're not talking!!

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Folks, the brick wall and my head have had enough of their current punch-up and I could really do with some help from someone who uses Studio One 4!

I have an Audiobox iTwo as my audio interface connected to Studio One 4 and I want to control the rate of the Mother 32's built in sequencer. I have connected a 5 pin MIDI cable from the OUT Din socket of the Audiobox to the Mother 32.

I CAN run a sequence from within Studio One and have it play perfectly on the Mother 32 at the rate set within Studio One 4 and the audio is recordable in Studio One so, that part of the MIDI equation is working fine.

However, if I want to use Studio One as my Master Clock and play a sequence on the Mother 32's built in sequencer, I get a random sequencer rate! To prove that this was not a Mother 32 setup problem, I tried the same connection to my Subharmonicon with exactly the same failed result :shocked:

Can anyone PLEASE give me a chapter and verse explanation of how I should set this up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Re: MIDI Clock out from Studio One to Mother 32 - they're not talking!!

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Sorted! :bouncy:
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby desmond » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Is your solution a secret, or can you share with the rest of the class, in case someone else comes across this thread in the future with a similar problem...?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Durr GaGa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:20 pm

desmond wrote:Is your solution a secret, or can you share with the rest of the class, in case someone else comes across this thread in the future with a similar problem...?

The solution was to understand that only one instance of the connection to the AudioBox iTwo should have the 'Send MIDI Clock' box ticked!
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks. Indeed, multiple clock sources is a problem! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Durr GaGa wrote:
desmond wrote:Is your solution a secret, or can you share with the rest of the class, in case someone else comes across this thread in the future with a similar problem...?

The solution was to understand that only one instance of the connection to the AudioBox iTwo should have the 'Send MIDI Clock' box ticked!

If it makes you feel better, it wasn't so very long ago that I did exactly the same thing in Studio One. Took me ages wondering why my TT78 was running at twice the speed!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Durr GaGa » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:
If it makes you feel better, it wasn't so very long ago that I did exactly the same thing in Studio One. Took me ages wondering why my TT78 was running at twice the speed!

Hi Rich,

It does indeed make me feel better to know that I am not alone!! As soon a we start adding gear to a basic system, the potential problems seem to multiply exponentially and for a newbie like me, the solutions are not always obvious and I am rather guilty of running before I can walk but then, that's enthusiasm for you :roll:

Thanks for your input.
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Durr GaGa wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:

Hi Rich,

It does indeed make me feel better to know that I am not alone!! As soon a we start adding gear to a basic system, the potential problems seem to multiply exponentially and for a newbie like me, the solutions are not always obvious and I am rather guilty of running before I can walk but then, that's enthusiasm for you :roll:

We've all been there - myself included. With MIDI especially there are various configurations involving multiple devices which lead to unexpected results and even once you think you've reached awareness of such things it's inevitable that now and again something else will crop up to cause a bit of headscratching!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project