You are here

Orbital studio tour

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Orbital studio tour

Postby zenguitar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 am

A friend sent me this link, not suitable for the 'A little something to get you through the night' but definitely worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjlWypT ... e=youtu.be

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: Orbital studio tour

Postby rockydennis » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:28 am

Paul Hartnoll did an album, 2Square, with Vince Clarke that didn't get enough attention. An interview with them both, and they discuss the synths they used -
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/in-pictures-vince-clarke-and-paul-hartnolls-transatlantic-studios-644174
rockydennis
Poster

Postby Rwkitch » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:01 am

Rwkitch
Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Great links ! Thanks folks :thumbup:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Indeed - great link, so thanks Andy!

The Putney was my favourite item 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BillB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Loved the synths but was also quite taken with the two iPads, which appeared to be cueing up each song - perhaps sending out program changes, maybe selecting a song in the.... DAW?

It would be interesting to know how they work live :geek: :geek:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm

BillB wrote:......It would be interesting to know how they work live :geek: :geek:

I always used to wonder what they were actually doing up there on stage too !
It used to be tweaking + MIDI sequencing / switching based on the MMT8 sequencer but from Rwkitch's link its now Ableton live, +2 ipads + 3 Novation launch controls.
2iPads so they can have two tracks running at once and crossover 1 part at a time.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/alesi ... encer/2238

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Rwkitch » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:55 pm

BillB wrote:Loved the synths but was also quite taken with the two iPads, which appeared to be cueing up each song - perhaps sending out program changes, maybe selecting a song in the.... DAW?

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but I think the video I linked to explains it. The iPads link to clips and/ or scenes in Ableton, and they don't activate until he takes his fingers off so he can have one or more cued up. See 2m21s. Don't think he mentions program change messages and the like though.
Rwkitch
Poster

Postby MarkyC » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks for this. Went to see them live at Hammersmith a couple of years ago and just changed the way I thought about live synth performance. The best bits when something went just a little wrong you could see Paul suddenly focus! :lol:
MarkyC
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:55 am

N i g e l wrote:
BillB wrote:......It would be interesting to know how they work live :geek: :geek:

I always used to wonder what they were actually doing up there on stage too !
It used to be tweaking + MIDI sequencing / switching based on the MMT8 sequencer but from Rwkitch's link its now Ableton live, +2 ipads + 3 Novation launch controls.
2iPads so they can have two tracks running at once and crossover 1 part at a time.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/alesi ... encer/2238

My all time best sequencer, my track "Who’s Gettin it" was done on one of these, I’ve never been able to use any other sequencer since, it was like it was just made for me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 am

Rwkitch wrote:
BillB wrote:Loved the synths but was also quite taken with the two iPads, which appeared to be cueing up each song - perhaps sending out program changes, maybe selecting a song in the.... DAW?

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but I think the video I linked to explains it. The iPads link to clips and/ or scenes in Ableton, and they don't activate until he takes his fingers off so he can have one or more cued up. See 2m21s. Don't think he mentions program change messages and the like though.

No, you are absolutely right, I should have followed your link through. That’s a nice complement to the studio tour video, thanks. If they do use program changes they would likely be embedded in the ableton clips, but maybe they just roll through the set twisting knobs as they go. I would be surprised if the didn’t occasionally want some big changes of sound and texture, though.

Great way of working, obviously evolved over decades :geek: :geek:
BillB
Frequent Poster