You are here

Korg Nautilus

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Korg Nautilus

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:12 pm

I like my Kronos a lot but I don't use it as a sound source much, more as a very nice thing to jam with and as an 88-note controller with enough stuff inside to compensate should I need pretty much anything and can't find it anywhere else in the studio.

It would also be on my desert island list due to it's all-in-one-box feature set and by the same token it's good to know all that stuff is in there as a backup should I need it but in my normal environment I find it somewhat redundant other than for its physical keyboard.
It also can't do MTC, only MIDI clock :headbang:

If I was looking for something and the Nautilus was a potential solution for it I'd probably (and I still can't believe I'd ever say this) end up buying a Fantom.

21st century gripes and all that, but I have intensely disliked the direction in which flagship digital workstations have gone over the last few years. I'd recommend a Trinity, Motif ES or XS to anyone in a heartbeat for example, but the later generations from Yamaha have left me cold. Same goes for Korg and (until I played the latest Fantom, but I mainly fell in love with the keybed) Roland.

If I was to lose my older digital workstations for some reason, I'd probably replace them with plugins at this point. Not so for the Summit, Hydra, Prophet, OB, Modular and so on though.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:34 pm

nickle15 wrote:
The Elf wrote:When I decided to ditch the Kronos I created my own custom 'Kronos' in my laptop. My 'Kronos' is more powerful, more capable and far, far more flexible.
The biggest hurdle I've had to using more virtual instruments is my inability to figure out how to assign knobs, sliders and buttons on a physical keyboard to control the virtual instrument settings - filter, etc. If I could solve that issue I know I'd get a lot more use/enjoyment out of the virtual instruments I have currently.
I use Cantabile as my VST host and it makes all that very simple. I can map ('bind' in Cantabile-speak) *any* controller to *anything*.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm

The Elf wrote:
nickle15 wrote:
The Elf wrote:When I decided to ditch the Kronos I created my own custom 'Kronos' in my laptop. My 'Kronos' is more powerful, more capable and far, far more flexible.
The biggest hurdle I've had to using more virtual instruments is my inability to figure out how to assign knobs, sliders and buttons on a physical keyboard to control the virtual instrument settings - filter, etc. If I could solve that issue I know I'd get a lot more use/enjoyment out of the virtual instruments I have currently.

I use Cantabile as my VST host and it makes all that very simple. I can map ('bind' in Cantabile-speak) *any* controller to *anything*.

That's awesome - I've never heard of that but I'll be looking into it this evening. Thanks so much for the tip!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:09 pm

One more thing worth mentioning ... Korg may well have shipped demo units to youTubers, but it looks like mere mortals need to wait until mid-January to get our sticky mits on one.

This is annoying. Manufacturers are starting to take the proverbial - if you are going to announce a synth and try and make a splash, then do so when you are ready to ship, not months before!

grrr
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:11 am

Dave B wrote:One more thing worth mentioning ... Korg may well have shipped demo units to youTubers, but it looks like mere mortals need to wait until mid-January to get our sticky mits on one.

This is annoying. Manufacturers are starting to take the proverbial - if you are going to announce a synth and try and make a splash, then do so when you are ready to ship, not months before!

grrr

This is taking on monstrous proportions, a couple of my fave Youtubers seem to have freebies every time I look at their videos, it makes you wonder, are they at the services of their music, or are they becoming glorified salesmen?
We all know about product endorsing, but this is going up to a whole new level, of course, the people get to hold on the the gear, not to be sniffed at, but what part of the dog is doing the wagging?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:05 am

Judging from the callouts from Behringer that Ive seen mentioned here, the deal seems to be
that beta testers do the beta testing with a requirement to post UT videos, & in exchange get the gear early with no rush , if any, to return it.

That seems fair on the surface.
If you are counting the hours spent its probably exploitative but then its probably a labour of love so whos counting ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Previous