You are here

Good mini keyboard with arpeggiator.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Good mini keyboard with arpeggiator.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 am

I’m using arpeggiators more and more these days, which is yielding positive results.
My Moog arpeggiators are great, simple, and playable in real time, the only fly in the ointment is my Alesis Micron, the arpeggiator is really bad, unwieldy, inaccessible, and above all no random option!
I’m taking my Micron to my partners place today, I’ll use it there, but I need to replace it in my studio, I was thinking about the Korg Minilogue, or Micro Korg XL, I need something small like the Micron, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the sequencers/arpeggiators in these things? Only thing about the Korgs is that the synthesis is limited, also wondering if an Arturia Keystep may be the way to go, with a more adventurous sound module.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Good mini keyboard with arpeggiator.

Postby fatbenelton » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:28 am

Ultranova?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:36 am

fatbenelton wrote:Ultranova?

I didn’t think of that! thanks!
And it’s the right size too, I’ll investigate deeper.

:thumbup:

PS, Mininova seems perfect.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:50 am

The Arturia Keystep/Beatstep are supposed to be very good too - as long as you don't mind mini-keys. I've never used one. so I can't comment, but if might be worth doing some research.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:19 am

The Elf wrote:The Arturia Keystep/Beatstep are supposed to be very good too - as long as you don't mind mini-keys. I've never used one. so I can't comment, but if might be worth doing some research.

Elf, I was thinking of a Keystep, it would definitely be the right size, and for once, I don’t mind the mini keys in this situation, also I could get that Mega FM to go with it, for more synthesis types, modules would open up options.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:25 pm

I have two KeySteps, I think it’s great if you don’t play keys (like me). The keybed is pretty quidgey and every now and then you have to re-seat the contacts (like, once per year) which requires disassembly, but it takes 5 minutes to do, even for someone as non-handy as me. It’s such a compact, affordable, and useful keyboard, though, that it’s well worth it to me — the sequencer is amazing (and polyphonic), the arpeggiator is great, it has a sustain input, chord mode, MIDI in/out and CV out. Very hard to beat on any front!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I have two KeySteps, I think it’s great if you don’t play keys (like me). The keybed is pretty quidgey and every now and then you have to re-seat the contacts (like, once per year) which requires disassembly, but it takes 5 minutes to do, even for someone as non-handy as me. It’s such a compact, affordable, and useful keyboard, though, that it’s well worth it to me — the sequencer is amazing (and polyphonic), the arpeggiator is great, it has a sustain input, chord mode, MIDI in/out and CV out. Very hard to beat on any front!

Thanks Ben, there’s a new version of the Keystep too, with controller knobs, not sure if it will have better build quality?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:12 pm

I can't speak to the KeyStep Pro as I don't have one yet. That unit combines the BeatStep Pro with the KeyStep so it may be overkill for what you're looking to do.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 pm

I think Tony is referring to the new Keystep 37 Ben.

Build quality is unlikely to have changed at all but I can say I've never had an issue with my original Keystep. It's pretty well-built.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:39 pm

Dan LB wrote:I think Tony is referring to the new Keystep 37 Ben.
Ah, of course! I can't speak to that one, either lol :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 am

It seems a shame that Arturia have never blessed any of these devices with a full-sized keyboard and proper mod/pitch wheels. At the moment I can well imagine it would sell very well indeed - there are calls for Behringer to produce something along these lines.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:27 am

The Elf wrote:It seems a shame that Arturia have never blessed any of these devices with a full-sized keyboard and proper mod/pitch wheels. At the moment I can well imagine it would sell very well indeed - there are calls for Behringer to produce something along these lines.

Elf, maybe we could put ourselves forward to work in the ideas departments of certain companies, all I can say is that they need us big time, these days, they really do seem to be missing the obvious, regarding a lot of things, it’s almost as if they have the ideas, and they are on the bench, but they let them out of the door in such a slow glutinous trickle to wring as much money out of every single stage of the process before they release "the big one" if they release it at all.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:29 am

Dan LB wrote:I think Tony is referring to the new Keystep 37 Ben.

Build quality is unlikely to have changed at all but I can say I've never had an issue with my original Keystep. It's pretty well-built.

Have you had this key bed issue that was talked about?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:21 am

Arpangel wrote:Elf, maybe we could put ourselves forward to work in the ideas departments of certain companies, all I can say is that they need us big time, these days
I have this pet theory that there's a consultation team called upon by all musical equipment manufacturers that is specifically tasked to ruin a good design before it goes into production.

As a brief selection, I believe this consultation team gave us:

- Roland's 4-octave System-8, in a plastic case, with external PSU, yet dubbed by Roland their 'flagship' of the time. :lolno:
- Korg's 83% size recreation of the ARP Odyssey. :roll:
- Behringer's 3-octave recreation of the VP-330, which then required the addition of a transpose switch. :roll:
- Korg's current crop of 'performance' synths with no aftertouch. :protest:
- Zoom's ARQ-48 sequencer with no MIDI port. :headbang:

How these things get through the door is beyond me. All it needed was someone to say 'this is a daft idea', but I doubt they would have kept their job...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 am

Why not go the whole way and get the Matrix Brute, or the newer PolyBrute, they look sooooooo nice.

I have and continue to own several buts of Arturia kit and one of the impressive aspects is the build quality. If I were to make a critique it is the perplexing and cryptic MIDI Control Centre. I create various setups, turn off the computer, and latterly turn the computer on again and MCC has lost the settings!

I re-mapped the pads on Beatstep, but latterly wanted to go back to the default mapping and no matter what I try, I cannot get the default mapping back.

But I digress, back to my point, a thumbs up for Arturia from me too
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next