You are here

Good mini keyboard with arpeggiator.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Good mini keyboard with arpeggiator.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:39 pm

I’ve never had that issue, and I keep my BSP off for months at a time! That sounds rather frustrating, maybe it’s a firmware issue, not the MCC?

I agree with the ribbon critique, I would MUCH prefer a wheel or two to the ribbon strip. In particular it can be annoying if you accidentally press it whilst playing.... but as I said, I’m a remedial keyboard player at best.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:53 pm

OneWorld wrote:. If I were to make a critique it is the perplexing and cryptic MIDI Control Centre.

Nathan will be along shortly to chime in on this one.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:07 pm

BillB wrote:
OneWorld wrote:. If I were to make a critique it is the perplexing and cryptic MIDI Control Centre.

Nathan will be along shortly to chime in on this one.

Don't know what you're talking about :D

Yeah I've got gripes about this but with regards to the Keystep specifically, I can only speak about the original. it's fine, it's been reliable, it saw me through a busy Synthfest last year, and that showed how intuitive it was as people came along and noodled happily without asking how to do stuff with the controller. So there's that.

Only got two gripes about the original KS, and the second one goes for all Arturia -step controllers: 1) pain in the bum to add octaves to your arp, there's no simple switch for it like on the Juno for example, 2) Arturia decided they wouldn't let the user switch incoming clock modes without hooking up to a computer. Despite presenting these devices as standalone utility objects, if you want to swap from DIN Sync to pulse-per-step, you've got to plug the damn thing into their software and go through menus and oh dear tentacled gods that grinds my extremeties.

Anyway. That's it, that's the gripe. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:26 pm

OneWorld wrote:Why not go the whole way and get the Matrix Brute, or the newer PolyBrute, they look sooooooo nice.

I have and continue to own several buts of Arturia kit and one of the impressive aspects is the build quality. If I were to make a critique it is the perplexing and cryptic MIDI Control Centre. I create various setups, turn off the computer, and latterly turn the computer on again and MCC has lost the settings!

I re-mapped the pads on Beatstep, but latterly wanted to go back to the default mapping and no matter what I try, I cannot get the default mapping back.

But I digress, back to my point, a thumbs up for Arturia from me too

What! :crazy:
The whole idea was to replace my "Micron" the clue is in the name :)
Either with an integrated synth, or, a Keystep, and a module, main concern is a decent, flexible arpeggiator.
My Moog's have them, so does my MicroFreak, I’m really getting into arp's, all running together, not in sync, with random patterns, add my Eurorack to this and it’s a whole fantasmagorical world of chaotic loveliness.
Plus, I want to build the Keystep into a brief case, with whatever module I get, probably the Mega FM, and a couple of pedals, as a little portable rig.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Dan LB wrote:
Have you had this key bed issue that was talked about?

:think:

No, I’ve had no issues whatsoever.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
Arturia decided they wouldn't let the user switch incoming clock modes without hooking up to a computer. Despite presenting these devices as standalone utility objects, if you want to swap from DIN Sync to pulse-per-step, you've got to plug the damn thing into their software and go through menus and oh dear tentacled gods that grinds my extremeties.

I *think* this has been addressed on the new Keystep 37.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:54 pm

There’s a good video on the 37 here:
https://youtu.be/I3iaHNIJFsg
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:57 pm

If that thing had normal sized keys it would pair with the new crop of 2600s beautifully. Sigh...

I suppose if you're not a 'player' that would still be the case.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dan LB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Dan LB wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:
Arturia decided they wouldn't let the user switch incoming clock modes without hooking up to a computer. Despite presenting these devices as standalone utility objects, if you want to swap from DIN Sync to pulse-per-step, you've got to plug the damn thing into their software and go through menus and oh dear tentacled gods that grinds my extremeties.

I *think* this has been addressed on the new Keystep 37.

I’ve been trying to find the source where I thought I read info about the above, but I can’t so I might have dreamt that up :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am

I’ll "probably" get a Keystep, note that word "probably"
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that is a "must have" at any cost for me these days, it’s all sort of, almost right, it’s all sort of OK, the build is "OK" operationally it’s "almost there"
Honestly, it’s so boring, generic mediocre, gone are the days when I used to dream about owning things, things I wanted so much I’d save up for years to get them, and when I had the cash, they would still be there, not discontinued or replaced by ten other models by the time I’d saved up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:40 pm

I bought an original Keystep when I was stuck in Amsterdam at the beginning of the first lockdown.

It's a rather nice little unit and although I probably wouldn't use it day-to-day in the studio at home (it's currently still in Amsterdam) it's transportable to the point I could put it in my hand luggage when flying, the arpeggiator is basic but perfectly usable and it's a very well built device.

I used the arpeggiator on the Keystep heavily in the demo track I created for Yoshimi, as Yoshimi doesn't have one built in. The Keystep was used to play all the non-arpeggiated parts as well.

I'm quite looking forward to getting it back actually. It'll make a great little companion for my modular.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm quite looking forward to getting it back actually. It'll make a great little companion for my modular.
It's funny, but I can't bring myself to use a traditional keyboard with the modular; it seems to defeat the purpose, but I have not clue what 'the purpose' is supposed to mean lol. I think part of it is my pitch sensitivity. When I press F on a keyboard, I want to hear F, not F +30 cents! I can be more forgiving when I'm divorced from the notion of fixed pitches via keys. I know that makes ZERO sense, and I can't explain it better than that. (Side bar: I do not have perfect pitch, but I do have pretty good relative pitch, beat into me from years of private tuition and music theory classes)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:42 pm

As I'm a pianist I feel somewhat bereft without a keyboard as an input option, though I do also have the Mother-32 and a Squarp Hermod sequencer in the rack. The keyboard isn't so much for playing parts as it is for auditioning sounds quickly and easily at different pitches and working out the occasional riff to program into the Hermod :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Ah. I do the same thing but with pen and notation paper lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm

OK, I’ve finally ordered a Behringer Deepmind 6 :shocked: :crazy: :o
Yes, out of all the options so far, it’s most suited, plus my partner likes it.
Firstly, the sound is amazing, and it’s capable of being totally "stand alone" and, is a perfect, but better substitute for my Micron, all we need is my little Tascam DR100 and that’s it, this will stay at my partners place, and it'll make a perfect mini space saver set-up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext