You are here

Critical Mass.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Critical Mass.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:50 am

After a lot of trials and tribulations in the last few months, flooding basements, dodgy wiring, moving studio, gear chops and changes forever it seemed.
Touch wood, it all seems to have settled down now, everything is working as it should, no problems, patch bays are finally organised and working fine too, enabling me to use a smaller, more streamlined mixer set-up.
But as I’m always trying to do, I stood there last night thinking, OK, so what can go, what can I sell, to make things even more streamlined, I couldn’t point to anything, nothing, I’m down to what I need, nothing more nothing less.
I have four synths, all essential that have my sounds going back years, all completely different machines, my modular which has been really amazing, it works well with my Moog's, I didn’t think it would fit in so well, and the CV interface side of things is perfect on the Moog's the way they’ve designed it, even down to a separate Eurorack level output.
In storage I’ve got a couple of pedals that haven’t really worked out, and some cheap compressors that no one wants, so a charity shop may be receiving those at some point, but apart from that, all is fine in the basement, at least.
I touch wood again.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Critical Mass.

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Excellent! I too have pared my system down to essentials. It’s a great feeling.

The last to go was my relatively new MPC One. I really tried to integrate it into my workflow but just couldn’t get over the archaic and convoluted OS. There are plenty of people that do like the MPC Way... it sold within an hour of putting it up on Reverb with no haggling.

So now it’s down to making music :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm curious about both your situations. Any DAW at the heart of it, or just hardware sequencing of MIDI/CV and if so, what?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:52 pm

BillB wrote:I'm curious about both your situations. Any DAW at the heart of it, or just hardware sequencing of MIDI/CV and if so, what?
Since I’ve committed totally to the LinnStrument I’ve sold off all my non MPE hardware synths except the MinilogueXD which is just too much fun to part with. My remaining hardware is a Hydrasynth module and a small Modular rack featuring an Arbhar and various efx/ looping modules for ambient goodness. I have re-integrated my iPad Pro as a modulation and sound source for the Modular, along with the occasional synth app. Since I offed the MPC One, Integra7, Blofeld, Sub 37, Ambica, Shruthi XT, Minibrute, Microfreak, Volca, and Yamaha MX49 it’s back to the PC for DAW and plugin duties. A Tascam Model 12 serves as the interface and mixer into an AMD 2700x PC with Samplitude and Reaper. Sadly, I have a whole wall of guitars and basses I’ve been neglecting... hoping to rectify that this winter.

As far as my recording/ mixing/ mastering setup goes it’s an AMD 3700x PC with an RME UFX running Samplitude and decades worth of plugins. And some nice mics.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks for the detail, Resistorman. It is really interesting to understand how folks put their kit together and how they 'drive' it. I kind of wish I could lose some gear and simplify my setup, but I am so fond of every bit of it - in principle!

Perhaps if I got on and made music rather than arranged synths and MIDI around a small room (I have been saying this for some years!) I would be able to identify any redundant parts of the setup.

I envy you and Tony for having it 'just right'. :clap:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm

BillB wrote:I envy you and Tony for having it 'just right'. :clap:

My god, don’t be too hasty! :)
I don’t know how music manages to come out of my place, but I think it does, I sort of muddle through.
I have two "studios" and I use that word loosely, one is just a big room with a piano in it, a Mac computer, a mic preamp, and some speakers, that’s for just sitting down and playing, acoustic stuff.
Then there’s the basement, an old storage area with some synths, and a PC, mainly hardware, used to make my soundscapes and abstract noise stuff, I use a PC there just as a recorder, along with cassette machines.
I just like simple lines, a melody, or an arpeggio, can turn into something bigger, but I really don’t have a set way of working.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster