You are here

Then and Now

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Then and Now

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:I firmly believe that there has never been a better time when it comes to your creative options as a musician.
The bigger danger now is that there are so many options it's sometimes hard to make an actual decision on something!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby BigRedX » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:01 pm

The Elf wrote:But for anyone else reading... 'then and now' technology can make a great partnership - best of both worlds. Performance software is very liberating, for example - being able to just hit the keys while the software takes care of routing, patch changes, mix, effects, layering, control mapping, (even lighting), etc., while the old gear takes care of those wonderful sounds. It makes performing with some of this old kit very liberating.

Back in the 90s when this sort of thing was still fairly "cutting edge", the band I was in, was using sequenced backing, and it was just a small step from that to also automating all the other non-playing aspects of the musical performance. It meant I no longer had to worry about the other musicians having to fiddle with the technology to make sure they were set up for the next song. The sequencer took care of that, the moment I pressed "play". It would also do all my guitar effects patch changes mid-song, so I wasn't rooted to my pedal board - in fact once I was happy that the technology was always functioning as it should I ditched the MIDI foot switches completely, which made for a much better visual performance and less cabling and other on-stage clutter.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 am

blinddrew wrote:I'm with The Elf on this, it's plainly not something that works for everyone but the potential for creativity and expression is huge.
I firmly believe that there has never been a better time when it comes to your creative options as a musician.

That’s the trouble, there’s too many options, for all I know I might have been the worlds most kick-ass Oboe, French Horn, Opera Singer, Sitar, Cello player of all time, but I’ll never know, as I haven’t had the time or the wherewithal to try those things out.
Same with electronics, you have to limit yourself, otherwise you spend all of your time exploring these apparently "limitless options" rather than making the music.
I’m of the firm belief, find your room, furnish it, the jobs done, no need to buy anymore furniture, you only need one chair, one table, and one bed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:39 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m of the firm belief, find your room, furnish it, the jobs done, no need to buy anymore furniture, you only need one chair, one table, and one bed.
This is only true if you either live alone or are extremely friendly :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Folderol wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m of the firm belief, find your room, furnish it, the jobs done, no need to buy anymore furniture, you only need one chair, one table, and one bed.
This is only true if you either live alone or are extremely friendly :lol:

Yes, and my room is so crowded I can’t see the carpet.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Arpangel wrote:Same with electronics, you have to limit yourself, otherwise you spend all of your time exploring these apparently "limitless options" rather than making the music.
Can we remind you of this when you find space to add another pedal, module or synth to your list? ;) :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m of the firm belief, find your room, furnish it, the jobs done...

Sounds like mental stagnation to me. I'm of the opposite view -- never stop learning, keep exploring new things, techniques, ideas. ..

Thats what makes life interesting, challenging, exciting, worthwhile.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m of the firm belief, find your room, furnish it, the jobs done...

Sounds like mental stagnation to me. I'm of the opposite view -- never stop learning, keep exploring new things, techniques, ideas. ..

Thats what makes life interesting, challenging, exciting, worthwhile.

I just can’t be bothered Hugh, the returns are very small, if any, for me now.
I’m still making music, lack of, more of, gear, doesn’t seem to make any difference, as for learning new things, there isn’t anything new I want to, or need to learn, nothing attracts me that much.
Sounds a bit bad I know, but that’s the way I feel, if there was anything I felt I desperately needed to do, or learn, I’d be doing it, but there isn’t.
As I write this I’m siting in our conservatory, looking out at the garden, I’m feeling really spaced out, I’ve got a basement full of stuff, and a piano next door, but TBQH, I’m quite happy just sitting here looking at the trees and sky.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Stephen Bennett » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 am

The Elf wrote:For the larger gigs you'll still find me surrounded by Moogs and Mellotrons. Some of us still know the thrill of it!

I'm impressed—I wouldn't take the 'tron, Rhodes or anything over 40 years old on the road.

Apart from me, that is.

Still, I was never a 'bank of keyboards' guy (though I love them). I replaced my Rhodes/Hammond/Moog/Polysix with a JX3P and Source in the '80s.

To the OP, this is the best photograph ever taken.

Edit: I think it was a version of this image which I've dropped in -- HR

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular
New: Galasphere 347 album 'Eponymous' Feat: Stephen Bennett, Ketil Vestrum Einarsen, Jacob Holm-Lupo, and Mattias Olsson

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Stephen Bennett wrote:To the OP, this is the best photograph ever taken.

Hi Stephen - as a heads up, only you can see this image as you've linked direct to a google search result which is unique to you ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hi Stephen - as a heads up, only you can see this image as you've linked direct to a google search result which is unique to you ;)

Hmm, the image did appear for me earlier on - although it's not working for me now...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nickle15 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:31 pm

Stephen Bennett wrote:
The Elf wrote:For the larger gigs you'll still find me surrounded by Moogs and Mellotrons. Some of us still know the thrill of it!

I'm impressed—I wouldn't take the 'tron, Rhodes or anything over 40 years old on the road.

Apart from me, that is.

Still, I was never a 'bank of keyboards' guy (though I love them). I replaced my Rhodes/Hammond/Moog/Polysix with a JX3P and Source in the '80s.

To the OP, this is the best photograph ever taken.

Stephen

That’s quite a rig!!!
nickle15
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 pm

The hours I spent as a kid gazing at that photo... 8-)

Apart from the Steinway, I vowed to have that rig one day. And I did! Now I've mostly moved on (digital Mellotrons are so much easier on the back and the nerves!), but it was fun while it lasted.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Stephen Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Here's the photo for those who missed it ...

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular
New: Galasphere 347 album 'Eponymous' Feat: Stephen Bennett, Ketil Vestrum Einarsen, Jacob Holm-Lupo, and Mattias Olsson

Postby Stephen Bennett » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 pm

The Elf wrote:The hours I spent as a kid gazing at that photo... 8-)

Apart from the Steinway, I vowed to have that rig one day. And I did! Now I've mostly moved on (digital Mellotrons are so much easier on the back and the nerves!), but it was fun while it lasted.

I only have one Mellotron with a Mini on top.

The B3 has been replaced by a CX3/122 and I never quite got the RMI myself!

Luckily, I have access to a Steinway.

I usually use Nords live. But I suspect I'll just use Mainstage if we ever get out of this hell.

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular

PreviousNext