You are here

Yamaha Reface CP mod?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Yamaha Reface CP mod?

Postby mulligan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:21 am

So I’ve been playing the reface cp for over a year now and absolutely love, but I wish it was in a larger form factor (88 full sized keys) and I key across an idea. Has anyone thought to transplant the CP’s circuits into a full scale key board and if so how would you do it? Or am I just better off saving up for a korg Sv 1 or 2?
mulligan

Re: Yamaha Reface CP mod?

Postby forumuser931182 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 am

Well......... if you’ve got the spare time and spare cash and a wee bit of technical ability ( and luck ) it’s probably not too difficult.
You just need a full size midi control keyboard with a fair bit of spare space inside. You only need to connect the Yamaha CP midi in the large controller keyboards midi out. Then you need to drill holes on the top surface of the midi controller unit - matching the CP unit exactly as the pots and switches are directly attached to the pcb. Do the same for the outputs you require from the CP and if you’re really lucky you can end up just using one power supply unit.
Could be a great isolation project ( or could be a complete nightmare ). Good luck.
forumuser931182
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:46 am

Well you could do this, but given the CP's USB and MIDI ports I don't really see the point. It's simple to cable a larger keyboard to it at the drop of a hat. By permanently nailing it inside another keyboard case you would be committed to that keyboard, when at the moment you can chop and change as you see fit.

Personally I'd rather see any/all of the refaces placed into a 19-inch rack box with DIN MIDI ports.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby mulligan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:44 pm

'Personally I'd rather see any/all of the refaces placed into a 19-inch rack box with DIN MIDI ports'

Now there's an idea! kind of like a reface brain that any keyboard could then be plumbed into? think it should be at least hypothetically possible. Think the main problem would be finding a way to get all of the outputs to run to the same places, but that shouldn't be too hard, it would probably be useful to have individual midi in/ out for each but maybe a master 1/4 inch output
mulligan