You are here

MIDI splitter leads anyone?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

MIDI splitter leads anyone?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Just wondering, I’ve used up my Reese Midi splitter, I just need two more outputs, are these Midi splitter leads any good, one plug to two sockets, I heard they can be unreliable?

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: MIDI splitter leads anyone?

Postby zenguitar » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:26 pm

I've never had the need to try MIDI splitter cables so I can't advise there.

However, would it be possible to utilise the MIDI through output on a couple of your connected MIDI devices to connect the last two devices?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby N i g e l » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Are the splitters passive ?

MIDI is a current loop, so sending half the current to each RX'er doesnt sound reliable.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:38 pm

N i g e l wrote:Are the splitters passive ?

MIDI is a current loop, so sending half the current to each RX'er doesnt sound reliable.

This. Spec is for a 5mA current. There are 'MIDI-powered' splitters that are not within spec that run an active buffer from the power available from a MIDI out, but I'd prefer to go with a regular active powered MIDI Thru box.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks, I’ll try and use a thru, but I don’t think I’ve got one spare, my Micro Freak only has in/out, but I’ll give the leads a miss.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:06 pm

It's very much a case of 'it depends'. If the current capacity exceeds the capacity of the connected devices then it will work (I did it for quite a while back in the 90s) but if not then it won't be reliable.

I currently have a 1 in/4 out MIDI thru device which actually works well - I suspect the power supply relies on using the current loop to charge a capacitor (the current loop being normally powered) which then maintains the power to the electronics. Mine is fed from an ESI interface feeing three Behringer synths and I've not had any dropped notes or owt. YMMV though
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:It's very much a case of 'it depends'. If the current capacity exceeds the capacity of the connected devices then it will work (I did it for quite a while back in the 90s) but if not then it won't be reliable.

I currently have a 1 in/4 out MIDI thru device which actually works well - I suspect the power supply relies on using the current loop to charge a capacitor (the current loop being normally powered) which then maintains the power to the electronics. Mine is fed from an ESI interface feeing three Behringer synths and I've not had any dropped notes or owt. YMMV though

Thanks Rich, I may have a little sort out tomorrow, I might be able to do without the through box in the live room, in which case, it’ll be fine for the basement, if not I think I may try out a splitter lead, they are cheap enough, the set-up will be this, coming out of my Alesis Micron, into the splitter lead, one side will go to my Micro Freak, the other side to my A-Station, the output of the AS then goes into my interface, so basically, the lead is only feeding two devices.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Can't you just connect the micro freak to the midi thru on the a station?
al_diablo
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Grab a Kenton thru box - buy once, use forever.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:58 am

al_diablo wrote:Can't you just connect the micro freak to the midi thru on the a station?

No, the through on the AS is connected to my interface. I want to control the Micro Freak from my Micron, the Freak doesn’t have a through, at the moment I’m coming out of the Micron, into the A Station, out of the AS into the interface, I have no other Midi gear in this room.
I’m going to take my Philip Reese through box from the live room, it’s more useful in my synth set-up.
I’m reluctant to buy another one, I’ve always thought they are expensive little things, for what they are.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Done it, despite using the wrong lead that came with the Freak, I used the out instead of the input lead! :blush:
It’s been a good move though, recorded two pieces today.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster