You are here

30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Thank you both for listening!

Martin, I'm looking forward to hearing what bleeps and bloops you come up with! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Lovely one to finish on. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks, blinddrew!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey with this. I've found it very interesting to hear the various results. Some of them I am really pretty jealous of.

I'm at a bit of an impasse with my modular. I've not been getting masses of value out of it but have been unsure whether that's not having the right kind of interesting modules or my own lack of application. I suspect you may have prompted me to add just a couple of modules to go further.

Totally agree with your comment on the M32 BTW, it seems a very simple synth but the choice of components makes it deceptively capable.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks for weighing in! The lack of productive writing on the modular is what led me to do this in the first instance; there are modular communities full of people that say, well, it's really difficult to make actual music on this, so I'm content to explore. I'm not one of those people, unfortunately. :)

For me, it was discovering what is 'modular music' to ME? Once I started sneaking up on an answer to that question, it became easier and easier to fashion patches which could be used as kernels of ideas for composition.

I now think that a LOT of music can be made with just two voices (2x VCO, 4x EG, 2x VCA, 2x VCF) and a bunch of utilities. In that sense my modular is overkill in some ways. But I think that my next 30-day challenge will be figuring out how to make more complex patches using several voices at once!! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:09 pm

Excellent project Ben, glad you got so much out of it.

I started building a Eurorack sequencer kit before Xmas. There was one of the 16 3mm Orange LEDs was missing, so I contacted the supplier and after confirming details of the batch they arranged to send it. But they advised that it would be sent direct from their supplier.

Today I have just received a package in the post from Germany. A bag of 125x 3mm Orange LEDs.

It's a funny old world :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm

LOL plenty of spares now! :thumbup:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:51 am

Just caught up with the last 7 or 8 tracks Ben, and absolutely loved listening through them all. Bravo that man, and also for sticking with the program for the duration! I did like the couple of pairs of days where you develop/continue on the previous day's theme.

It struck me that if you were to chain most of these daily experiments together with a little transitional glue in between them here and there you'd have rather an interesting ambient album.

:thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Just caught up with the last 7 or 8 tracks Ben, and absolutely loved listening through them all. Bravo that man, and also for sticking with the program for the duration! I did like the couple of pairs of days where you develop/continue on the previous day's theme.

It struck me that if you were to chain most of these daily experiments together with a little transitional glue in between them here and there you'd have rather an interesting ambient album.

:thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Wow, thanks, Eddie!

The thought did occur to me, but I'm content to let them stay as they were intended, as sketches for things that are coming up very soon ... (have 24 minutes of the modular album already in the can at this point)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 am

Sounds good, consider me an interested party when it's ready! I've recently discovered State Azure and I'm absolutely loving what he does with his ambient modular stuff. Much as people noodle on modular for the sake of it there is plenty of great music being created on it.

My Subharmonicon shipped today and is arriving in the morning (not that I'll have much time to do anything with it for a few days, but ... hey) :-)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:45 am

You'll want to carve out some time when you can w the Subharmonicon!

State Azur has some great stuff!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous