You are here

30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:05 am

DAY 10. Hit the 1/3 mark today and I'm liking this patch very much! It's a wave morphing patch using a sine and triangle wave from Oscillation into the crossfade algorithm on the Disting Mk4. Pitched reverb gives it an etheral sound, was a lot of fun playing around with this patch!

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... nge-day-10

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:11 am

Nice... :clap:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 pm

resistorman wrote:Nice... :clap:
Yes, it’s a cool-sounding patch and I feel like I’m starting to come to grips with making ‘modular music’.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:27 pm

Day 11! This was another fun one! It's based on the Ever Moving VCO patch from Patch & Tweak, page 175: A cycling function generator is creating a trigger which activates the envelope generator as well as a sample and hold trigger. Noise out from the Mother-32 is going into the sample input of the sample and hold on the Modbox. The Modbox, in turn, is also providing CV to the autopanner. The pitches are being constrained by a Doepfer attenuator/Toppobrillo Quantimator combination.

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... nge-day-11

One thing that I'm discovering is that I REALLY like the sound of sine waves! I always thought of them being rather characterless in the past, but they have a purity which suits ambient music really well.

This would be a good base to put the Mother-32 playing a melodic line over top, methinks.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:44 am

Well, every sound is made of sine waves, it's just matter of quantity, right :D

I like this.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 am

Actually some sounds are noise rather than sine wave as a fundamental.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Day 12. Today's patch is a really interesting one because it's simple yet also very complex. It starts with a single VCO from the Subharmonicon playing a polyrhythmic sequence; SEQ1 clock out goes into a function generator; the function generator's positive and negative outputs are fed into low pass gates; the audio from the Subharmonicon is multed and fed into each LPG and that output is summed. The reverse-phase LPG then creates its own sub pattern against the in-phase LPG.

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... nge-day-12

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:50 am

Ben Asaro wrote:DAY 10. Hit the 1/3 mark today and I'm liking this patch very much! It's a wave morphing patch using a sine and triangle wave from Oscillation into the crossfade algorithm on the Disting Mk4. Pitched reverb gives it an etheral sound, was a lot of fun playing around with this patch!

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... nge-day-10

I’m liking this, one of my faves so far.
Is it only 12 days since you started this? It seems like you’ve been at it for months.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm

More like 15 but life is preventing me from doing it strictly consecutive. After today I'm home for the rest of the year and I hope to be more consistent.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Day 13. More than any other patch to date, this one strikes me as having the greatest potential. I took the Pulse output from the Mother-32 and fed it into a VCA which is receiving a randomized envelope from a quad EG being triggered by Branches and a sequential switch. For being in 4/4, the result is a waltz-like feel. This patch will warrant further exploration when all this is done, I can already think of several variations to increase randomness and make it a bit less cluttered in terms of cabling.

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... nge-day-13

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm

As I approach the halfway point on this experiment/experience, there is one takeway that's not lost on me --

The number of voices you have is far less important than the amount of utility you have. Trigger generators, VCAs, modulation manipulators, and attentuators/constrainers can take a single VCO and create something really magical!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The number of voices you have is far less important than the amount of utility you have. Trigger generators, VCAs, modulation manipulators, and attentuators/constrainers can take a single VCO and create something really magical!
I'll quote that to somebody at synthfest next year then stroke my beard sagely, despite having no idea what it means... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:The number of voices you have is far less important than the amount of utility you have. Trigger generators, VCAs, modulation manipulators, and attentuators/constrainers can take a single VCO and create something really magical!
I'll quote that to somebody at synthfest next year then stroke my beard sagely, despite having no idea what it means... ;)
HA!

That reminds me of the episode of M*A*S*H, wherein one character's advice to another when the subject of Bach comes up is to just nod appreciatively and say, "Ah... Bach ...". :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
HA!

That reminds me of the episode of M*A*S*H, wherein one character's advice to another when the subject of Bach comes up is to just nod appreciatively and say, "Ah... Bach ...". :)
And now I've been found out on that one too!
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:12 am

Ben Asaro wrote:As I approach the halfway point on this experiment/experience, there is one takeway that's not lost on me --

The number of voices you have is far less important than the amount of utility you have. Trigger generators, VCAs, modulation manipulators, and attentuators/constrainers can take a single VCO and create something really magical!

Try telling that to Look Mum No Computer with his 1,000 oscillator mega synth! :D
I know what you mean though, I always seem to run out of attenuators, no matter how many I have, in fact, I suffer from "lack of attenuator syndrome"
Also, random voltage sources, always running out of those too.

:think: :think: :think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext