You are here

30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:16 pm

I've been feeling a bit stagnant in my writing of late, partially due to the rather distracting situation here in the US/NYC, partially due to other distractions.

I've decided that since I have a pretty large swath of time off between now and the end of the year, I would embark on a 30-day writing/modular deep dive challenge! I will be writing a new piece of music on the modular every day for the next 30 days, with the plan being to try using a different technique every day. Otherwise, I don't have any other limits in terms of how long each piece needs to be, modules used, etc.

I'll post my daily results here and if anyone wants to join in, I'd love to hear what you come up with!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: 30-day modular deep dive/writing challenge

Postby resistorman » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Good for you Ben! My rig is designed for ambient soundscapes so I don't do more than one a week :bouncy: But I'll do a few along the way in fellowship!
best
Dan
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:26 pm

resistorman wrote:Good for you Ben! My rig is designed for ambient soundscapes so I don't do more than one a week :bouncy: But I'll do a few along the way in fellowship!
best
Dan
Awesome, looking forward to it! Do include patch notes if you can!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Here's my Day 1 effort!

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... enge-day-1

Kept it very simple for Day 1 -- only 3 modules (NerdSeq, Mother-32, Subharmonicon) plus delay/reverb. The right side is the NerdSeq sequencing the Mother-32. The left side is the Subharmonicon clocked from the NerdSeq.

I challenged myself to keep the pitch very high and plucky on the Mother-32 (sawtooth waveform), something I've actually never done before. I also patched VCA EG out on the SubH into the Cutoff In. VCO 1 is sawtooth, VCO 2 is square.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Well that's an eye opener Ben - only using three modules yet you manage to keep my attention all the way through.

Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Thanks! It's just okay, musically, but I'm loving this approach! No pressure! I got the basis for today's patch done but am going to the Park w the family so I won't get to finish it until later. Now it's playing away to no one lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:11 pm

Day 2 patch. I wanted to make a bell-like sound on the Mother-32, but try as I might, I could not replicate the super clean bell sound that others have achieved with the Mother-32. What I did end up with, however, was a lo-fi 70s horror bell sound that ended up working quite well lol. This is another patch using just the Mother-32, Subharmonicon, and NerdSeq.

I was able to get a really cool pulsing on the SubH's chords with heavy filter automation.

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... enge-day-2
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 am

:clap:

Some pics would be good, so we know what we're hearing. All these module names make my head ache!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:59 pm

The Elf wrote::clap:

Some pics would be good, so we know what we're hearing. All these module names make my head ache!
Good point! I'll include pics with the next one!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:24 pm

Day 3 Patch is done. This one turned out to be a lot of fun! The challenge to myself was to do something I rarely do: improvise!

The patch:

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... enge-day-3

I started with a simple 4-chord progression on the Subharmnonicon. The Mother-32 is playing a continuous windchime-like pattern, but the filter is being modulated by an external, attenuated LFO, so it fades in and out.

As the pattern played on the SubH, I changed one of the steps in real time. It creates this nice movement over the drones adding a pleasant top line to the progression.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:12 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Day 3 Patch is done. This one turned out to be a lot of fun! The challenge to myself was to do something I rarely do: improvise!

The patch:

https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... enge-day-3

I started with a simple 4-chord progression on the Subharmnonicon. The Mother-32 is playing a continuous windchime-like pattern, but the filter is being modulated by an external, attenuated LFO, so it fades in and out.

As the pattern played on the SubH, I changed one of the steps in real time. It creates this nice movement over the drones adding a pleasant top line to the progression.

I’m liking No 3.
I’m on a deep dive too, literally, recording in our flooded basement!
Got about 40 mins in the can so far, will post in Self Promotion ASAP.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks, arp! No.3 is interesting, though it's nothing amazing. I think an even bigger challenge for me will be to avoid developing something that I come across that I like! It would be too easy to fall back into the trap which led me here in the first instance.

No, I'm going to stay the course, reset and rebuild every day, slowly adding more modules and complexity to see how far I can get with what I have.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:18 pm

Enjoying these Ben. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm

blinddrew wrote:Enjoying these Ben. :thumbup:
Thanks!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:36 am

Another day, another patch.

Okay, now I feel like I'm starting to really scratch below the surface. This patch is based on similar 'marbles' patches, but instead of it being a single pitch that ping-pongs back and forth, I did my own take on it by randomising pitch from the Turing Machine and also creating random hocketing via the Quantimator. The randomisation if via Branches.

Sound:
https://soundcloud.com/user-329043613-5 ... enge-day-4

Sight:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Next