You are here

Moog of choice

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Moog of choice

Postby nickle15 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:43 pm

As Christmas time approaches I was thinking of what I'd like to put under the tree for myself. This won't happen but it's still fun to ponder. :)

I've had my eye on the Matriarch for a while now but recently the Subsequent 37 has snuck into my view. So it got me to thinking about what might be different between the two, besides the number of keys, number of oscillators, and price tag.

A quick comparison of the stats does not make the choice easy between the two. Modular is not important to me (not to say it won't be at some point) so I'm disregarding that feature in my thought process. Outside of the differences I mentioned above are there any other glaring differences to be considered?
nickle15
Regular

Re: Moog of choice

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Memories/Presets, and immediacy. That's my hunch. I had a Little Phatty for ten years, and for that time it was my go-to mono for making patches, crafting sounds that maybe, or maybe not, I'd use later in music. I got to know it inside out, and did everything with it I possibly could. It was playable, easy to use, and although not as instantly hands-on as knobbier synths, was still pretty navigable.

In the end though, I sold it in favour of those simpler, knobbier synths without memories. Personally, and this is a personal thing I think, I find some synths make me want to craft patches, and others make me just play them and invent as I go. Depends what you're after really, and how you work with your gear, write music, etc.

The Sub37 is a knobbier synth than the LP but seems like a continuation of that vibe (caveat is I haven't had more than a few minutes with the Sub37). I suspect the Matriarch is much more focused on dirty hands-on faffing.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 pm

For an 'instrument' I'd take the Sub37 every time. That really is a very complete instrument - the beat de-tuning is fabulous too. If I didn't already have sufficient Mooginess around me that's the one I'd grab.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby John Stafford » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:42 am

I'm weighing up my options. I have a Grandmother. Somehow it's just perfect for me. I'd love a Matriarch, but I think I'd prefer two Grandmothers, or maybe I could just add a Subharmonicon. It's a bit like a dog chasing his tail. :headbang: So many options. So little money. :bouncy:
John Stafford
Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:05 am

Thanks for offering up those opinions and views. It's going to be a tough choice for sure and again, not even sure it will happen soon but I hope it will. I'll be sure to check in here if I'm able to pick one up!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:55 am

This isn’t a problem, it’s very simple, the only reason you buy a Moog is for the Moog sound, everything else is secondary.
You have to have a Moog, as they are the only things that sound, like a a Moog, still.
Some Moog’s sound like Moog's more than others, some are flexible "complete instruments" as has been said here, but those fall short, they don’t really have that full-fat no compromise Moog sound, they are good, but different.
I’ve owned four Moog’s in my life, a Mini Moog Reissue, a Voyager, a Prodigy, and now, my Matriarch and Grandmother, the only one that didn’t have "that sound" was the Voyager, all the others do.
I’d go for a Matriarch, it’s the only choice, and great value for money when you think about what you’re getting.
The Moog One is beautiful, and pricey, but it still has the sound, I’m lusting after one, but can’t justify it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Arpangel wrote:This isn’t a problem, it’s very simple, the only reason you buy a Moog is for the Moog sound, everything else is secondary.
You have to have a Moog, as they are the only things that sound, like a a Moog, still.
Some Moog’s sound like Moog's more than others, some are flexible "complete instruments" as has been said here, but those fall short, they don’t really have that full-fat no compromise Moog sound, they are good, but different.
I’ve owned four Moog’s in my life, a Mini Moog Reissue, a Voyager, a Prodigy, and now, my Matriarch and Grandmother, the only one that didn’t have "that sound" was the Voyager, all the others do.
I’d go for a Matriarch, it’s the only choice, and great value for money when you think about what you’re getting.
The Moog One is beautiful, and pricey, but it still has the sound, I’m lusting after one, but can’t justify it.

This is good advice as well and I thank you.

My biggest concern is getting the "wrong" synth. Let me use a different analogy to illustrate my fear:

A person could want a motorcycle to go on long distance, cross country trips. They find a local dealer and say "I want a motorcycle. I want an orange one and it doesn't need to be loud". The dealer sells them one. It's a dirtbike but the person doesn't know the difference - they just wanted a motorcycle. So they embark on their cross country trips and get run over by a semi at the first merge onto the interstate. While they did indeed buy a motorcycle, it wasn't the right one. I don't want my Moog experience to kill me!

Joking aside though, I'm mostly trying to figure out which one will work the best for me and the advice and experiences shared here help a whole lot, so thanks again!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Subsequent 37 for me. It's what the original Sub37 was supposed to be and much more. And it does 'moog' as well as a lot more due to the filter being so good and versatile.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Luke W » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:06 pm

I've always quite fancied a Subsequent 37. Not sure exactly why, and I have absolutely no reason to need one, but they sound great and to my untrained eye they look the part as well.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:09 pm

This might help:

https://reverb.com/uk/news/video-how-to-choose-a-moog

...or it might just make you want all of them! :lol:

For what it's worth, I have a Subsequent 37 and am very pleased with both how it sounds and what it can do -- it's remarkably versatile 'under the hood'.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:44 pm

I’ll come in again, and say the Matriarch, it’s very easy to understand, and you may think those patch points won’t get used by yourself, but honestly, once they are there you’ll use them! And, if you do decide to get into Eurorack, they will be worth their weight in gold, I use my Grandmother with my modular, it’s amazing, expands my system no end, and you get a Moog filter too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:This might help:

For what it's worth, I have a Subsequent 37 and am very pleased with both how it sounds and what it can do -- it's remarkably versatile 'under the hood'.

Thanks. I've seen that video and you're right - it's very helpful from the standpoint of making me want them all!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:This might help:

Nice video Hugh, I like the Eventide H9000 sitting nonchalantly in the background.
Well, one just has to have one, doesn’t one...

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:17 pm

The Matriarch is a lovely synth, but if I went that way it would be the dark edition! :headbang:

(And I'd get that PSU fitted inside the case...)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:57 pm

The Elf wrote:The Matriarch is a lovely synth, but if I went that way it would be the dark edition! :headbang:

(And I'd get that PSU fitted inside the case...)

I agree - the dark edition is super nice looking! Is it possible to fit a PSU like that into a case? That's an interesting notion!
nickle15
Regular

Next