You are here

Moog of choice

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Moog of choice

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 pm

nickle15 wrote:
The Elf wrote:The Matriarch is a lovely synth, but if I went that way it would be the dark edition! :headbang:

(And I'd get that PSU fitted inside the case...)
I agree - the dark edition is super nice looking! Is it possible to fit a PSU like that into a case?
It's always possible, but you'd need to see the inside of the case to know for sure. Unless you truly know what you're doing, make sure that you get a *good*, qualified engineer to do it for you.

Several of my keyboards have their nasty little external PSUs inside their cases, with a nice, friendly IEC connector added.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:09 pm

The Elf wrote:
nickle15 wrote:
The Elf wrote:The Matriarch is a lovely synth, but if I went that way it would be the dark edition! :headbang:

(And I'd get that PSU fitted inside the case...)
I agree - the dark edition is super nice looking! Is it possible to fit a PSU like that into a case?
It's always possible, but you'd need to see the inside of the case to know for sure. Unless you truly know what you're doing, make sure that you get a *good*, qualified engineer to do it for you.

Several of my keyboards have their nasty little external PSUs inside their cases, with a nice, friendly IEC connector added.

Nice - that's good to know!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 pm

The Elf wrote:Several of my keyboards have their nasty little external PSUs inside their cases, with a nice, friendly IEC connector added.

The Elf and I have covered this ground before, but for the benefit of others new to this approach, enclosing the PSU and retrofitting a new mains inlet is not quite as trivial as it might appear, and should not be attempted without a thorough understanding of the issues involved, and the appropriate electrical and mechanical competencies.

Most (but not all) products with line-lump PSUs are Class 2 devices, meaning they do not have a direct connection to the mains safety earth, and the PSU would typically have a two-pin C8 (fig-8) mains inlet. However, assuming the PSU can be housed inside the product somewhere, retrofitting a three-pin C14 IEC inlet may cause some problems.

The relevant regulations state that a three-pin C14 inlet implies a Class 1 device, meaning its exposed metalwork is grounded via the mains safety earth. But if the modified device is actually Class 2 (Double Insulated) there may not be any exposed metalwork, or such metal as does exist may not be tied back to the equipment's ground. And consequently, the modified unit would probably fail a PAT test... Which could be a bit upsetting if you're not allowed to plug your customised keyboard In on stage!

Or... If the mains safety earth is connected internally as part of the modification to the instrument's ground, you could end up with ground-loop issues that didn't exist with the factory-fresh instrument.

Of course, the obvious, simple, and regulation-correct solution would be to fit a two-pin C8 (fig-8) inlet on the modified Class 2 device, and a three-pin C14 on a Class 1 device... But I know the Elf prioritises the convenience of needing only one type of mains lead over slavishly following the relevant regulations.... ;-)

Just to be clear, there's nothing intrinsically electrically unsafe about retrofitting a class 2 device with a C14 inlet -- providing it is done competently, of course. The earth germinal is just left unconnected. However, it is definitely electrically unsafe to retrofit a C8 inlet to a Class 1 device since the required safety earth would have no way of being connected!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nickle15 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks Hugh. My dad is an electrical engineer so I usually leave anything that will shock me up to him. Sounds like this would be another good project to hand off should the need arise. :)
nickle15
Regular

Previous