You are here

Synthesizers. Is it really about new sounds these days..?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Synthesizers. Is it really about new sounds these days..?

Postby CS70 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:37 pm

MOF wrote:
Really. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6s6W7EHE

I've put this loud at parties and the house has come down just fine.

Now be honest, if the only version you’d heard was the 8 bit version, would you be telling all your mates to check it out?

I don't know, as I can't unhear it and check :).

But there's a lot of stuff that I heard in 8 bit first and it did stick! PopCorn was one. Fur Elise, I heard the first time on a carillon, I was quite small and then my older sister was learning to play it on the flute for school (the easy bit) and I went "yes!!". Lots of popular classical pieces, I heard like that.

Mind me, I used "strong" and "weak" just to use two opposites.. I don't mean that music that needs specific sounds or arrangements to work is inferior.

The fact that you feel like getting your guitar out to play along with it suggests to me that you wouldn’t, you should have said you feel the urge to add another 8 bit synth. :D

Thing is, I get the urge to play only if the music is compelling. It's a good test :)

There wouldn’t be enough range, no bass in particular.

Yes of course.. that's exactly the point. The kernel of the musical idea is so strong that survives in any form. I did find versions for solo banjo btw :D

I don’t think it would have come from a nylon guitar, they were in a temporary studio with a mobile recording lorry hooked up outside, all their gear set up and ready to go.

Yeah your right!

P.S. No need to send me an invitation to any parties you might be having in the future.

Haha you'll be always welcome to any of my parties!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:00 pm

CS70 I see I’ve been adding in edit mode more sections to my reply while you were replying to the first bits of my reply.

Thank you for the party invite, I’m the type ‘you’ll always find me in the kitchen at parties’ :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dcasanares » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 am

So I'm a novice who should have started playing in the 80's but lost my natural musical chops but want to purchase a good board for having fun but I like quality, what are some good keyboards I should consider purchasing?
Dcasanares
New here

Postby N i g e l » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:47 am

Quite a broad question which requires more detailed requirements.

are you in studio/home studio/gigging ?

do you want "real" sounds or synthetic. What are your favourite flavours of synthesis ?

do you need a DAW friendly 'board ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Dcasanares » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:21 am

N i g e l wrote:Quite a broad question which requires more detailed requirements.

are you in studio/home studio/gigging ?

do you want "real" sounds or synthetic. What are your favourite flavours of synthesis ?

do you need a DAW friendly 'board ?

I really want to learn how to play the keys and I want real sound and
yes I want to board to be DAW friendly.
Dcasanares
New here

Postby zenguitar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:35 am

Dcasanares wrote:I really want to learn how to play the keys and I want real sound and

So, give us something to work with so we can help.

What style of music do you want to play?

What music do you listen to? That will give us a good idea of what you mean by 'real sound', because every keyboard in the history of the world makes a sound that is real.

What specific DAW would you like the keys to be friendly with?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Dcasanares » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:43 am

zenguitar wrote:
Dcasanares wrote:I really want to learn how to play the keys and I want real sound and

So, give us something to work with so we can help.

What style of music do you want to play?

What music do you listen to? That will give us a good idea of what you mean by 'real sound', because every keyboard in the history of the world makes a sound that is real.

What specific DAW would you like the keys to be friendly with?

Andy :beamup:

I love Jazz, R&B and I would love to create some funky beats even though I'm 58 years old :)

Historically I loved what Cubase/Nuendo had to offer but there all so many DAWs nowadays I need to re-educate myself of what's going on.
Dcasanares
New here

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 am

For an all-rounder i still think that the Kurzweil range is up there with the best - the PC3 and Forte would be worth a look. The newest versions with plastic case and external PSU are disappointing IMHO, though.

If your budget is up to it the new Roland Fantoms are fine instruments, as long as you can live with some of their foibles (and all keyboards have foibles of one kind or another) - lots of expandability and at the start of their development cycle.

So what's the budget?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dcasanares » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:14 am

I was thinking about spending around $2k but I'm not limited to that financially.
Dcasanares
New here

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:53 am

Then either of the above are certainly worth a look. I'd add the Nord range and the Korg Kronos into the mix too, though the Nords are more limited in scope and I personally have no liking for the Kronos.

I wouldn't worry about integration with a DAW. There are better tools for that than having it built into the keyboard you choose (the Behringer X-Touch is a very good Mackie-compatible controller for Cubase and can be left dedicated to that task), and you can program the controls on keyboards to be anything you want them to be.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:25 am

Am I wrong in taking the skinflint approach? A secondhand Korg Triton still takes some beating, team that up with the "almost free" Reaper DAW, and you will get the job done, and have enough money left over to go on a cruise sans COVID.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous