You are here

Korg x3 internal battery change

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg x3 internal battery change

Postby Daddypine » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi,
I have a Korg x3 synth which is not putting any sound from the outputs or headphone sockets. On removing the under panel I see there is a small CR2032 battery. This has never been replaced in the 25 years since I bought it new. Could this have anything to do with the problem perhaps or would I be correct in assuming it is just the memory backup.The keyboard seems to do everything as far as controlling a slave unit is concerned.

Could the synth have lost its sounds but still shows the names in the display?
And finally, while I'm in there, I thought I should maybe change the battery but have read somewhere it will probably loose some data/setting/sounds. Would this still happen if the synth was powered up while I change it or is that not a wise thing to do?

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help.

Regards, Paul.
Daddypine

Re: Korg x3 internal battery change

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums Paul. :thumbup:

I can't help with any detail, although others may be along soon with 1st hand experience. But I have found a link to the service manual which might help.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1135798/Korg-X3.html

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Daddypine » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks Andy, that is an enormous help, you're a star mate. :clap:
Daddypine

Postby Daddypine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and took the old battery out and fitted a new one. I had the original factory settings on a floppy disc that came with the synth, did what I think is a re install of the sounds and factory settings and............ still the same, nothing at the outputs, including headphone out. Darned disappointing to say the least.

Any thoughts welcomed. :frown:
Daddypine

Postby nickle15 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:02 pm

This might not get you anywhere but I would be curious to know if sounds can be triggered via MIDI from an external device. It might help you determine if the keys are still good on the X3.
nickle15
Regular

Postby nickle15 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 pm

nickle15 wrote:This might not get you anywhere but I would be curious to know if sounds can be triggered via MIDI from an external device. It might help you determine if the keys are still good on the X3.

Ah - I see that you mentioned using the X3 to control an external device so that seems to suggest your keys are good. I'd still be curious about whether an external controller can trigger the sounds of the X3 via MIDI.
nickle15
Regular