You are here

Dumping sounds from the Roland SH01a to computer

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dumping sounds from the Roland SH01a to computer

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:33 pm

Generally speaking, the MIDI CC dump method is more about saving a patch as a one-off within a DAW song file, rather than patch storage activites. When you play the song back it populates the synth's patch buffer with the edits stored as CC values. It will typicaly not contain data such as patch name, for instance, and may lack some of the synth's deeper functions.

Sys-Ex is what you need for dumping and storing patch data in bulk.

I know nothing about that particular synth, but the manual looks like it has all the stuff you need.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Stickman0_3 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:10 pm

I might just give up with the SH01a. Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic synth to program but the way to save a bank of sounds is a bit of a pain for me. I have just got round to try saving and loading sysex with MidiOX. :headbang:
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby BillB » Sat May 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Casually looking at the JU-06A manual / MIDI chart, I noticed that there was no Sysex capability in the MIDI chart and no reference to Sysex dumps over MIDI in the manual.

There is a Data Backup/Restore process, which gives access to a folder within the JU06a, from which the Backup files can be copied to your computer. This fills me with dread as, unless the USB connection is class-compliant, it will rely on Roland updating its USB drivers for years to come. Sadly, they have a poor record in this respect (as other posts on this forum show).

So there is a possiblity that, at some point, it will no longer be possible to backup/restore sound banks to the JU-06a. I have not checked the other boutiques in detail, but based on Stickman's post, it sounds like the same approach throughout the range.

What Roland genius decided Sysex data dumps was not a good idea for the boutique series? :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:50 pm

I have the VST editor from MOMO and i am thinking of trying that out. Maybe I can export sound banks via that?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby BillB » Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Well. it is cheap enough to take a chance on. The blurb says "You can safe your sound on the SH-01A Synth or as VST Presets (..fxp) in the DAW."

I am shocked to see that there is no printed manual for the SH-01a - only a 'video manual' and again, that the MIDI chart shows no Sysex transmission, which is confusing as, in the early part of the video on this page....
https://sh-01a-midi-editor.jimdofree.com/#link1
... the author is shown changing patches on the hardware, which are updated in real-time in the VST editor - including the patch name, which, as Elf points out, can't be transmitted by MIDI CC.

All very confusing and, if transfer is not via 5-pin MIDI, will be reliant on Roland keeping its USB drivers updated. :headbang:

Let us know how you get on, Stickman. Good luck!
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm

On a related point, it is interesting to note that, although the System-8 MIDI spec includes Sysex transmit/receive, there is no mention of initiating Sysex dumps on the keyboard itself. And no MIDI specification for Sysex as far as I am aware. The only options are Backup/Restore and patch Export/Import, all to SD card. Otherwise you have to plug in your USB cable and let Roland Cloud do its stuff. This seems to be part of their ongoing fixation with Cloud as the way to manage devices and patches.

Anyone who has played with these devices for a decade or two knows that it is a good idea to:
a) stay with decades-old conventions like Sysex dumps and
b) not build in restrictions and obsolescence through manufacturer-specific systems
:headbang:

Thankfully, it works well as a stand-alone synth, but is only realising half the potential of the MIDI ports on the back.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:45 am

I made a chart of the Roland SH01a's parameters yesterday, I thought it may come in handy for people -

Press Menu, from here you can

1.Pick tone/sound 1 - 8 (value knob changes bank 1 - 8) = 64 sounds.
2.Pick pattern 1 - 8 (value knob changes bank 1 - 8) = 64 patterns.
3.Assign MOnO, UnI, POLY, CHd
4.Pressing Menu + number, 4 brings up the system menu -

- nS.Nd - OrG, vArI
    - LFO.n - OrG, Adv
    - Tune - 440.0
    - CH - 1 - 16, OFF
    - SYnC - Auto, Int, LFO, Midi, Usb
    - thru - OFF, ON
    - vELO - ON, 64, 127
    - u.Cru - L, M, H
    - CCNd - OFF, ON
    - Cu.SC - -63 - +63
    - Cu.tn - -100 - +100
    - Cu.rf - C0 - C4
    - A.OFF - OFF, 30
    - dEMO - OFF, 1, 3, 10
    - r.SCL - CHrO, MAJ, nMIN, H.MIN, M.MIn, bLnI, bLN2, dOr, MIHO, Dim,
    AHOL, Alt, Hn9, InSn, rYuY, PErS
    - C2.Nd - OFF, HOLd

5.NAn

Now excuse me if I seem a little slow, but, from this, can someone tell me what settings I need to allow dumps?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby adamburgess » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Seems pretty straight forward.

Turn the Roland off.
Connect with USB to your computer.
Hold MENU button and turn on the power to the Roland.

It will appear as a USB device.

The sounds are stored in a BACKUP folder in the device.
Put them somewhere safe on your computer.

To restore them, do the same but grab your saved file from the computer to the RESTORE folder. When they’re copied, eject the USB device, press MENU and when the lights go out, it’s done.
adamburgess
New here

Postby Stickman0_3 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Well, after so much time fiddling around and not getting anywhere, I admit defeat - sorry, I'm just not getting on with it.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Previous