You are here

UK BBC Radio4, Swooshes, Seaboards, Synths & spawn

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

UK BBC Radio4, Swooshes, Seaboards, Synths & spawn

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:07 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cngg

nebulous artistic chit chat about squidggy keyboards & gloves but I found it entertaining !
:)

"Singer, tech enthusiast and multi-instrumentalist Bishi explores how new technologies and artificial intelligence are shaping the future of music creation.

At the heart of the story, is the unlikely tale of London-based inventor Roland Lamb, superstar producer and recording artist Pharrell Williams and the creation of ROLI, a music tech company at the cutting-edge of expressive music creation.

How did an ex-Buddhist monk end up in business with one of the world's biggest music names? And what does this collaboration tell us about the shape of music-making to come?

We hear Bishi get her hands on some of ROLI's mould-breaking technology - including their tactile silicone Seaboards and modular rainbow synth Blocks. And across London, she's introduced to the extraordinary MI.MU glove, used by pioneering musician and multidisciplinary artist Lula Mehbrahtu, to play with sound, rhythm and voice by physically manipulating the space around her.

We'll find out how these innovations are not just making music more accessible, but transforming the way musicians - from professionals right the way down to total beginners - conceptualise musical creation.

It's not just a question of new toys. Composition and production is also being revolutionised by Artificial Intelligence, with neural networks that can analyse millions of bars of music and catalyse and compose new musical works and sounds at the touch of a button.

So are the machines taking over? Not quite. Vocalist and composer Jennifer Walshe discusses how, instead of replacing the human, these artificial musical brains can help catalyse new frontiers of composition in ways we might never have dreamed of. We also speak to musician Holly Herndon, who has built an AI "baby" - called Spawn - which mimics, interprets and develop Holly's musical ideas, often revealing new elements in her compositions.

Presenter: Bishi
Producer: Steven Rajam"
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Re: UK BBC Radio4, Swooshes, Seaboards, Synths & spawn

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:17 am

Unfortunately I can’t sign in to watch this, sounds interesting.
But from what I’ve heard, I haven’t come across anything played on alternative or newly invented controllers that has been of any interest to me, or has had any lasting impact.
The main problem I find, is that the instrument itself has to also be the sound generator, and the two things have to be designed as one, to stand any chance of being a success.
For instance, I have an i Pad with TC11 and Animoog, very inspiring, fantastic, but only when played from an i Pad, connect them to a keyboard and they experience instant death. Same with my Buchla Easel, and Arturia Micro Freak, take away the touch keyboards and they loose whatever it is that makes them special.
I’ve heard many alternative controllers, and it seems the designers are trying in some way to give us the control that we would have using an acoustic instrument, but with electronics, and it never works, it always sounds slightly cheesy and cumbersome, a pale imitation of say, the freedom and perfect integration of sound and control, of the human voice, or a violin.
I admire the research, and I’m always interested, but it always falls short and leaves me underwhelmed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:26 pm

There's electronics between the controller and the sound producing part of an instrument - where it lives, inside or outside the box, is irrelevant.

A Roli Seaboard combined with such as Novation Peak is truly a magical playing experience.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:45 pm

When this is all over we should have a 'cheer up Tony' day where we all take along fun bits of kit for him to have a play on and see how things are constantly improving. :) ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 am

blinddrew wrote:When this is all over we should have a 'cheer up Tony' day where we all take along fun bits of kit for him to have a play on and see how things are constantly improving. :) ;)

I’m fine!
Under the circumstances, I was bad at Christmas, but I feel a bit better now, you can get used to anything, including a potential Armageddon..... :D
Regarding controllers, just saying how I feel about them, l love my i Pad, that’s great, especially Thumb Jam, and TC11.
You see great demos of these controllers, but a lot of them don’t quite make it in the real world.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:18 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m fine!

for now...... When you are 120 you will be governed by "kids" that were home schooled by drunks in the 2020's !!!

;)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:51 am

Arpangel wrote:Animoog, very inspiring, fantastic, but only when played from an i Pad, connect them to a keyboard and they experience instant death.

Try playing Animoog with an MPE controller!!! Waaayyyy better ;)
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:07 am

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m fine!

for now...... When you are 120 you will be governed by "kids" that were home schooled by drunks in the 2020's !!!

;)

I thought I was the one who was being accused of negativity? You’re stepping on my toes.

:D

Dan LB wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Animoog, very inspiring, fantastic, but only when played from an i Pad, connect them to a keyboard and they experience instant death.

I’m happy enough playing from the i Pad screen, I don’t have to think about mastering the interface, learning a technique to any depth. If it’s an alternative controller it’s like you’ve got to learn a whole new instrument, before you can begin to take advantage of it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:33 pm

Dan LB wrote:
+1

Any performance controller worth using takes a while to get the best out of it. Technique is what separates expression from button-pushing. You don't master a violin overnight.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:50 pm

The Elf wrote:You don't master a violin overnight.

And if that’s how long it took it would be too long.

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 pm

Arpangel wrote:And if that’s how long it took it would be too long.

I admire your constant quest for immediacy Tony! :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 am

Dan LB wrote:
Arpangel wrote:And if that’s how long it took it would be too long.

I admire your constant quest for immediacy Tony! :lol:

If I needed to learn new things I would, it’s just that I don’t want or need anything new, instruments, ideas, techniques.
I have all the knowledge I need to make "my" music, and it changes all the time, so I’m not stuck in a rut, churning out the same thing all the time, and my mind isn’t closed, I’d just rather spend down time watching the birds in my garden, than learning how to use some bit of software/hardware or whatever it is. As I get older, I’m realising, even one day, or one hour should be savoured like a good Brandy, and especially, spending as much time looking after my partner as possible, "thee" most important thing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 am

Arpangel wrote:I thought I was the one who was being accused of negativity? You’re stepping on my toes.

The student pays respect to the master :thumbup:
January is not my favourite month.

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 am

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I thought I was the one who was being accused of negativity? You’re stepping on my toes.

The student pays respect to the master :thumbup:
January is not my favourite month.

:D :D :D

February for me, seem to be at an all time low then, maybe it’s S.A.D.?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster