You are here

New Old Keyboard

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

New Old Keyboard

Postby nickle15 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:23 pm

I know you guys will understand so I'm coming here to celebrate. I was able to FINALLY pick up a Korg 01/W Pro X this morning!! Actually the pickup will take place next weekend but it's been a bucket list keyboard for me. Like everyone I have my reasons but won't bore you with them here.

So the good parts: according to the current owner it's functioning as a MIDI controller. Cosmetically he rates it 8/10. Keys all function and play perfectly. No other known issues.

The bad part: no sound. So this will take some work to get it up and running. I'm hopeful that me and my dad (who is an electrical engineer) can get it fixed. (If anyone has anything they want to suggest by way of repair ideas we're all ears.)

The other good part is what I paid for it, but won't go into that either. Anyway, it's a day for me to celebrate!! :)

Have a great weekend!
nickle15
Regular

Re: New Old Keyboard

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm

...cool, congrats! So is that an 88-weighted-keys thing...? I had an M1 and a Triton, which came before and after it, but I've never seen one of these. I've recently been looking at my current controller (JV30) and wishing it had a few more octaves though...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 pm

There is something quite special about obtaining a piece of legacy gear that you wanted but for whatever reason couldn't get hold of at the time - savour the feeling & enjoy!

Assuming everything else works OK, the lack of sound may be a simple issue with the output circuitry or sockets (fractured circuit board tracks, broken pots etc.) so fingers crossed it turns out to be that :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:39 pm

I know nothing of synths except that some of the 'legacy' models have hard to source OEM Integrated Circuits in them. I did come across this site,
https://www.synth-parts.com/en/keyboard ... serie/?p=1

Who might have spares. I would think the first search is for a schematic? Hopefully "no sound" will be a loose plug or failed regulator?

I hope you have a happy, keyboardin' new year!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:11 pm

Don't forget that you can find service manuals online quite easily these days. Here's one link I found...

https://www.synthxl.com/korg-01-w-pro-x/

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Good for you, mate. :thumbup:

There's one at 'the other place'. TBH I'm not a fan; it is a very heavy keyboard, with a very heavy keyboard action. I can't say I like the sounds much, either.

But one man's meat and all that.

It's great when you manage to fulfill an ambition. I was giddy when I got a real Hammond and a Mellotron. Same when I finally managed to score a Jupiter 8. A few years later I'd had my fix and was happy to sell them both. Sometimes you just need to experience these things to get past them!

Here's hoping you manage to get it up to spec. Enjoy!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the well wishes, advice, and links. I knew this was the right place to celebrate! ;)
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:26 pm

The Elf wrote:Sometimes you just need to experience these things to get past them!

Agreed!

(So if anyone can lend me their JP8 for a year or so to get it out of my system, my pm's are open..!)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dave B » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 pm

The Elf wrote:Sometimes you just need to experience these things to get past them!

Also agreed. In my case it was a Fairlight. A joy to finally own one and a lifelong dream come true. But I was glad when it went to a home who could give it the TLC it needed to remain working for years to come.

Would I ever have another one? Maybe, maybe not. But having had it, I feel that I can definitely put a tick in that box, feel happy and move on
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nickle15 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:36 pm

I picked up the 01/W yesterday. The description from the seller indicated it was working only as a MIDI controller and would not make sounds. I bought it knowing that and having the intention to fix. It came with the original factory disk and manuals. When I got it home I powered it up and saw a low battery warning. So without shutting it off I loaded the presets from the factory disk (thankfully the drive and disk both still worked) and once loaded, the keyboard played sounds just as expected. I replaced the battery this morning and got it up and running and it's perfect now! What a great blessing this was!!

And not to sound like a 14 year old girl but I had always wanted this particular model because my all time favorite musician played it. Turns out he was the original owner of this very board! Anyway, all has turned out well and I just wanted to update everyone. Thanks!
nickle15
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Result! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:04 pm

That's great! Now, while you're on a roll, time to crack on with that Polysix...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm

BJG145 wrote:That's great! Now, while you're on a roll, time to crack on with that Polysix...

Too right. My dad rode with me yesterday to get the 01/W which was a 12 hour round trip. We had plenty of time to discuss the plan of attack for the Polysix! More updates soon...
nickle15
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Well wear! It's a beast of a machine, and the waveshaping is a pretty cool feature for sounds you won't get in many other places. Never tried the action on it. I'm still using an Akai MX1000 which was introduced the year after your Korg.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby nickle15 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Well wear! It's a beast of a machine, and the waveshaping is a pretty cool feature for sounds you won't get in many other places. Never tried the action on it. I'm still using an Akai MX1000 which was introduced the year after your Korg.

I definitely plan to mess around with the waveshaping - never done that before.
nickle15
Regular