You are here

Still searching for the Rhodes?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Still searching for the Rhodes?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:20 am

I’m still searching, but I’d like to get one soon, due to my new studio space.
I’ve come to a few conclusions, it’s seems a bit pointless to buy an electronic imitation, I may as well use a VSTi, something like a Nord etc is just a chip anyway, with samples, no different to a computer, and, you’re paying for all that hardware. OK, I can see a use for these types of things live, but for studio use, you may as well use samples.
The bottom line is either a real Rhodes, or something like a Vintage Vibe, and it’s not a good time right now, with covid restrictions, getting stuff, and trying it out.
Lastly, are there really any dedicated instruments that are any good, over using a VSTi? be interested in peoples reasons for buying a hardware electronic Rhodes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Still searching for the Rhodes?

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

The Elf wrote:Might help:
https://youtu.be/FSamnzXl5J8

Thanks Elf, I checked that out a few days ago, interesting, how he preferred Keyscape.
I didn’t like it at all, way too bright, and too much tine.
I’ve been listening to a lot of 70’s recordings, using Rhodes, and one thing that always sticks out, it’s how smooth the sound is on the Rhodes, with quite a bit of mid-range emphasis, and a very bell like high end. I love all that, it gets dirty too, but never bright or harsh.
The trouble is, I’m not a Jazz/Blues player, and all of the demo's tend to focus on those things, that’s no good to me, what sounds good in that context doesn’t sound good with my music.
The acid test for me is when you play softly, and play repeated notes, expressively, I need something that has that nice soft tone, but where you can dig in if need be, if it’s too bright, it just doesn’t work, and kills the feel for me.
Think Gill Scott Heron, and Harold Budd.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 am

The problem is that your requirements are so very specific to yourself that I can't see how anyone can give you a meaningful steer. As you know, my search for a Rhodes sound ended with the Yamaha reface CP, but you don't like that - two players with completely different impressions of one instrument. And in that video, another player gives yet another different opinion - I don't find Keyscape to my taste.

So I think this is something you simply have to work out for yourself somehow.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:26 pm

I agree. The requirements are so specific and personal you might be better off with somthing more general but tweekable.

Did you try a Waldorf Zarenburg? Not had a go on one myself but it looks like it has character and is tweekable. I think it uses physical modeling.

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Looks like a case of Rhodes to nowhere :lol:
OK, OK, I'm going :cry:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:38 pm

Talk to Huw Rees at Rhodes Repair:

http://rhodesrepair.co.uk/

He is a bona fide wizard and will be able to set any instrument up to play and sound like you want it to.
Sam Inglis

Postby Animalbeats » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Just get a real one, the tone bars vibrate as do the hammers they’re struck by, the whole room has a feel from materials.
Animalbeats
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:28 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Talk to Huw Rees at Rhodes Repair:

http://rhodesrepair.co.uk/

He is a bona fide wizard and will be able to set any instrument up to play and sound like you want it to.

Is this the chap in Scotland? I think I may have spoken to him a while ago, the trouble is, it’s impossible to go anywhere, let alone try things out.
I think I will end up getting a real Rhodes, a hardware electronic recreation seems a bit pointless, as I said, may as well use software, I have one that’s not bad, in Kontakt, better than Keyscape, also I have one in Analogue Lab, that’s also not bad, but not as good as Kontakt.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm

https://sanjayc.com/products/sanjays-rh ... ll-version

"Sanjay's Rhodes is a virtual instrument recorded from my own Fender Rhodes Mark 1 stage piano. I’ve recorded each key to give you a realistic and beautiful instrument.......

every key recorded at two velocities for both mellow and gritty sounds - play harder to get that iconic Rhodes growl.
8 additional presets give you unique sounds for hip hop, EDM, trap, pop, lo-fi, and jazz!

Four formats are included - Logic Pro EXS/Sampler, Ableton Sampler, SFZ (use with the free Sforzando plugin for any DAW), and Kontakt"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTgStPycpy8

Sanjay's youtube channel is informative light hearted.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby R_A » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Hot prices, but they do good work:

http://www.klassickeysgb.com/rhodes-stock/4591499148

If you're a competent sound recordist (or work with a great sound engineer) and want to present the instrument in stripped down arrangements or compose for solo electric piano — I think you'll only be happy with the real deal.
R_A
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm

tea for two wrote:8 additional presets give you unique sounds for hip hop, EDM, trap, pop, lo-fi, and jazz!

Hmmm? I don’t make hip hop, EDM, trap, pop, lo-fi, and Jazz.

R_A wrote:Hot prices, but they do good work:

http://www.klassickeysgb.com/rhodes-stock/4591499148

If you're a competent sound recordist (or work with a great sound engineer) and want to present the instrument in stripped down arrangements or compose for solo electric piano — I think you'll only be happy with the real deal.

I’m not a competent sound recordist, and I don’t work with a great sound engineer, apart from myself, and I’m still looking for the "real deal"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:
tea for two wrote:8 additional presets give you unique sounds for hip hop, EDM, trap, pop, lo-fi, and jazz!

...but you do have very particular -- some might say unique -- tastes!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:55 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

...but you do have very particular -- some might say unique -- tastes!

Like a lot of us Hugh, I just make my own music.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Like a lot of us Hugh, I just make my own music.

:)

there can be only 1 Arpangel [as heard on national radio ] !

Dont be stuck in a 60's paradigm, its been done, get somthing with room for expansion, that does what you want but has room for you to stamp your identity & experience on to.

:thumbup:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Next