You are here

Kurzweil K2700

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Kurzweil K2700

Postby Zukan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:45 am

I want one.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:00 pm

They dropped the flash ROM from 16GB in the Forte to 4.5GB! Damn! Why would they do that?!?! :madas: My Mellotron collection ain't gonna fit in there! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:43 pm

A CAD model advertising blurb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXz8HZkGAvA

Eddy Deegan wrote:.... I like the fact that it does FM and the specs look really good, though I wish it had poly AT!

MONTAGE / MODX series is good for FM but its a bit confused as to whether it is a workstation.

-

I think the PC4 had a Medeli keybed [who do the poly AT for ASM hydrasynth] but the K2700 is Fatar
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Yes, I'd noticed that the pics are all CGI versions at the moment.

Kurzweil do seem to announce gear and then take their time shipping it. I do have to say that the PC4 was better like that and there wasn't quite the wait as there was for other units. But I don't think that we'll be able to get our sticky mits on this until later in the year at least.

So, hopefully, when we have Synthfest 2021 (or Synthfest 2020ii) we can get to give it a thrash. :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:16 pm

N i g e l wrote:MONTAGE / MODX series is good for FM but its a bit confused as to whether it is a workstation.

Played with them at some length as a friend owned them. I significantly disliked the direction Yamaha took towards crippling onboard sequencing and the semi-aggressive pushing of their DAW integration features.

So did my friend. He sold them and bought a Fantom. The ES was really nice (still have my ES7). I think Yamaha peaked at the XS series (still have my XS8). The XF was 'meh' if only as it was more of the same rather than a serious step up and it was rather downhill from there IMHO :lol:

For me it's all about a balance of useful synth features vs. gimmicks and overkill on the arpeggiator/disco-lights/auto-accompany/one-finger symphony front and with the emergence of the Montage I felt things started slewing heavily towards the latter. I'm sure there's a good synth buried in there somewhere but it doesn't provide an interface I want to use.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
N i g e l wrote:MONTAGE / MODX series is good for FM but its a bit confused as to whether it is a workstation.

Played with them at some length as a friend owned them. I significantly disliked the direction Yamaha took towards crippling onboard sequencing and the semi-aggressive pushing of their DAW integration features.

It a recent purchase so Ive only used the sequencer late in development – V2.51 (the one with FM parameter morphing).

To me the Yamaha sequencer is certainly different to Kurzweil, I thought, “thats just the way they do things” – the “JOB” button reminded me of the “JOB Tables” on the old QX sequencers – but from the review and watching uTube videos I can see there has been a bit of history associated with the sequencer.

They obviously put the transport control buttons on the panel but might have originally envisaged them as just a MIDI recorder.

I like the PC/DAW integration.

Disco lights seems to the fashion now, turning off the flashing “Big Knob” & dimming the LEDS was the 1st thing I did ;)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Previous